PDA

View Full Version : jumping my 400ex?

greg24v
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
i like to jump alot on my 400ex, do i need to change the front shocks or ne thing? and will the rear axle hold up to jumping? i used to race motorcross on cr's but i sold em and bought this. i dont plan on jumping over about 20-35 ft long, and about 10-12 ft high. thanks, Greg

yfz450rider29
03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
That really depends on your size, and weight.... if your not hitting real big, and if you arn't real big you will be fine. If you wanna go big and ever case you might want to get some shocks. Dont do like my buddy either. If you get shocks get the all around, the quad will ride funny with aftermarket shocks on the front and not on the rear or vise versa.

greg24v
03-22-2005, 01:34 PM
thanks, iam about 5' 9", and weigh about 160. will the rear axle hold up tp jumping too? or do they bend easy?

mx400
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
on my stock suspensioned 400(waiting on rest of stuff), the shocks are set a little bit on the stiff side because of my weight and the fact that i'm 6'2". I have no problem and can hit a good 25'r no problem. it doesn't really bottom out too much unless I come down really really hard.

blue416ex
03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
get something better im only 120 lbs yea 120 ... and my suspension bottoms out everytime i hit a jump and either case OR overclear it and im in the same jumping ranga as you im on the 4th click on the stock fronts and tuned in correct rear and i still bottom out on big stuff im lookin into elkas or something cuz i need shocks that will smooth out the ride but will be stiff enough and strong enough to withstand my jumping and abuse

so i say lok into works or elkas set up for you and your riding style;)

johnnydufus
03-22-2005, 08:07 PM
i'm 155lbs and my suspension doesnt bottom out till i get past 40'. i'm with blue416ex look into works, they are cheap and are pretty good from what i have heard. but if you have enough go ahead and get elkas

if you are worried about your axle go to rockymountainatv.com and pickup one of those new g-forces for $200. i heard that they are awesome.

yfz450rider29- what do you mean the quad rides funny? i've been looking into just buying front shocks.

is there a place i can send my stock front shocks and have them modified into works or tcs or something?