PDA

View Full Version : Plastic/Gastank screw

Punk'd
03-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Ok today I was taking my plastics off when I noticed I was turning the screw that holds the plastic onto the gastank a large number of times and it doing nuthing but spinning. The screw mount in the gastank plastic is stripped. I have no idea what to do does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks:D

kssandduner
03-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Mine did the same thing, and I still haven't been able to get it out.
I tried everything we could think of with no luck. To even make an attemp at it you have to get the plastic slipped over the bolt so you can get at the insert. Than basically all you need to do is try holding onto the insert with something, and than back the bolt out. I didn't have any luck, hopefully you will. We even tried pulling the stupid insert out of the tank, no luck.

Joe

Punk'd
03-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Maybe needle nose plyers? So you can grasp the screw mount. Im stumped! :mad:

4Q2
03-22-2005, 05:28 AM
I have heard of this happening and the dealer will warranty the tank, just give them a call, don't tighten it down so tight when you take the plastic off and on.

jeepnrocks
03-22-2005, 09:22 AM
I had this happen to me and they warrantied it. when i had my hrc kit installed they tightened it down a bit tight and the next time i went to take the plastic off it just spun like your describing. They warrantied it no questions asked. Wheneveryou do get it fixed you have to be super careful not too over tighten it as its super easy to strip.

kbass24emtp
03-22-2005, 09:34 AM
I went to NAPA and got some Copper Anti-Seize and put a little on the bolts and snut them up. Works great they come out with little effort and they also stay tight.

dixie1
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Took mine to the dealer. They replaced the tank. The threaded part wasn't installed correctly at the factory. Honda is aware. No questions asked. I wasn't the first to bring their quad in....
Also,,the dealer I took it to wasn't the one I bought it from.
Quad was about 2mos old when I noticed the problem.

450R_lover
03-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Same thing happened to me when i first got mine. What you have to do is carefully pull the plastic over the bolt, dont be scared the plastic will take its shape after you get it over the bolt. The bushing that is inserted into the tank is spinning with the 8mm bolt. After getting the plastic outta the way, you have to take a flat head screw driver or somthing to keep the bushing to not spin. Then get it in a bind to where it wont, and loosen the bolt. This should work.. it did for me. ;)
And dont tighten the bolt too tight next time... they are only 8mm bolts so they dont need much torquing to keep from coming out.

kssandduner
03-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I guess I'm going to talk to my dealer again. Last time I asked them about it, they said I would have to buy a new tank. They were the ones that did it. I'm pretty sure they used an impact wrench to tighten that thing down. I tried the screwdriver trick also, no luck.

Joe

WhiteZee
03-22-2005, 06:42 PM
mine did the same thing, and mine was not from over tightening. the metals corroded together, and locked up.

Punk'd
03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
mine did the same thing, and mine was not from over tightening. the metals corroded together, and locked up.

What did you do about it?

WhiteZee
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
took it in on the last day of my warrenty, and got it replaced for free.

atvrider12764
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
mine did the same exact thing too..you think they will warantee it even know its after 6 month of having it?

03-22-2005, 09:00 PM
thank god im getting an IMS Tank lol

WhiteZee
03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by atvrider12764
mine did the same exact thing too..you think they will warantee it even know its after 6 month of having it?
doubt it, i would check and make sure, it really depends on your dealer.

Punk'd
03-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
thank god im getting an IMS Tank lol

Mind getting me one to?:D

03-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Mind getting me one to?:D

why sure, i give them out for free :huh :blah:

Martin Blair
03-23-2005, 09:27 AM
you could try heating the bolt with a soldier gun and try to break it free