PDA

View Full Version : Elka SSD conversion Questions?

TCSMotorsports
03-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I have an 86 250r with the -1 houser swingarm and stock linkage. I recently had my works ultracross rear shock revalved and converted to an Elka SSD for a 300# rider(now weigh 280#). When I put it in the bike and set it on the ground it sags alot, is this normal? The measure ment to the bottom of the frame with no rider is 9.5", when I get on the bike it totaly collapses the sag spring and measures 7.0" from the frame to the ground. I have the adjuster ring all the way down as far as it will go before I run out of threads to adjust it. I have tried adjusting the shock linkage (dogbone) from 6.687" eye to eye to 6.375" eye to eye, and I got ride height with the rider to 7.5". What will adjusting the linkage do to the way the rear end works? Will that put any stresses on the frame? Does the -1 swinger affect the way the shock works? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

300ex73
03-22-2005, 06:18 AM
The reason it's called an SSD(self sagging device) is because of the zero preload spring. So yes it's normal for it to sag like that. And the amount of clearance you have is about what is recommended for motocross. As for the linkage, I can't help you there.

cdalejef
03-22-2005, 07:08 AM
You need to set that linkage to the same length that it was stock or just install the stock one. As far as the preload ring, it sounds like the company used the wrong length spring.