PDA

View Full Version : 400ex valve ticking (not clearance?)

mxquadracer
03-21-2005, 08:52 PM
As the thread title suggests... I Tore my topend on the ole 400 apart a little bit ago - cylinder was fine and the guy who's buying it from me said he wanted to keep the stock bore, so clyinder was basically left alone. I did a super light hone to get back the cross-hatch pattern, measuring along the way, and threw in a wiseco piston. Again, the guy who was buying wanted to keep as many stock parts in as possible, so I'm leaving the stock cam in. Replaced all 4 valves, and ground/lapped seats to a good seal. But before I had torn her apart, the motor had always ticked like crazy. Checked the valve clearance over and over again, and that was always fine. Took her into Honda to have them adjust them, got it back and she did the same thing. That was all pre-disassmbly. Right now, I'm sitting with the clyinder/head on, but valve cover and cam assembly are still off. The only thing I can think now is decompressor assembly? Is there any way to tell if it's malfunctioning while the cam is not installed? The decompressor spins freely around the shaft, and will not turn the opposite direction (what's suppose to happen I believe?). Is there any other way to tell if it's malfunctioning, or have any other recommendations on what to try to get her to stop?

Help would be appreciated

hook
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
timing chain tentioner

mxquadracer
03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
hmm...when I had installed her again, it held in and popped out when the key was released as it is suppose to...?

hook
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
take it an push against a board 3 or 4 times an see if it holds