PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Bogging Out

LuckyLJW
03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a 2002 400EX and the best way I can explain my problem is that it bogs out. Every so often when I am riding it will sound like it wants to die when I hit the gas. So I will stop put it in nutral and give it gas. When I giveit gas it still does the same thing. It will idle fine and it's only when you gas it that this happens. The problem is not all of the time but usually happens a few times a trip. I am thinking of taking the carburetor out and cleaning it up real good. Before I do this I wanted to check to see if anyone has heard of this problem or has any recommendations.

nosliw
03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
how far away from stock is it?

LuckyLJW
03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I just bought it about 2 months ago so I dont know the history of the bike. It is all stock

04'400ex'er
03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Could be dirt getting into your main jet. Water in the gas. Fouled spark plug.

DeerNuts
03-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Could be improper jetting, but since its stock, that couldnt be. Still, check over your carb very well. That would be the most obvious suspect I think.
Checking your gas also wouldnt be a bad idea.
Its funny, because we used to have a gas station right up the road that sold, I suspect, watered down gas. Well, of course I hope it wasnt watered down gas, but our machines never ran well on the stuff, so we didnt use it.
Since its all stock, it shouldnt be hard to narrow down the problem to what it is. Let us know if you get it fixed.