PDA

View Full Version : Raptor K&N Air Filter Advice PLEASE

400exUtah
05-09-2002, 02:58 PM
I purchased the K&N air filter and K&N oil filter for my Raptor. I tried installing my air filter last night. Is there a trick to getting the air filter to fit correctly???

I stuck the gasket to the air box as the instructions stated. Greased up the front of the air filter as stated (for easier fit and to help seal it off). I placed the filter in the air box, it was a tight fit but it went in. With the air box lid off, the filter didn't fit snuggly against the gasket and air box but, I think the lid is supposed to make the filter snug up to the air box and gasket.

My biggest problem is I can't get the air box lid back on the air box with the K&N filter in there. I guess I'm having a hard time lining up the top of the K&N filter to the slot in the air box lid.

Questions:
1. Is there a trick or a secret to getting the K&N filter to fit better, or a trick to putting the air box lid back on with the K&N filter installed?

2. I ran the K&N filter on my old '01 400ex and really liked it. I noticed a difference, and it was easy to install (just had to tighten a clamp and that was it). Does the K&N air filter make a difference on the Raptor? Is the stock filter just as good? Is it worth using the regular K&N air filter in the Raptor over the stock filter? Also, any opinions on the K&N oil filter over the stock oil filter? I bought one of each.

One last question, where does the tube go that's connected to the air box snorkel?

Thanks in advance guys! Your advice is greatly appreciated. I want to get this thing figured out and start riding again.

THANKS!!!

patrick delao
05-10-2002, 03:08 PM
I just bought a 02 raptor and had the SAME problem when I bought the K&N for mine. The trick is if you put in on and the lids doesn't line up then flip the filter. I tried for like half an hour trying to get the lid on and then I flipped the K&N and the lid just slipped right in.

400exUtah
05-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks patrick! I'll give it a try. How has the K&N air filter worked for you? Have you had trouble with the air filter "sealing" up against the air box?

I know this really isn't the forum for this type of question, but, how do you like your Raptor????

THANKS AGAIN!