PDA

View Full Version : Raptor K&N Air Filter advice!!!

400exUtah
05-09-2002, 02:57 PM
I purchased the K&N air filter and K&N oil filter for my Raptor. I tried installing my air filter last night. Is there a trick to getting the air filter to fit correctly???

I stuck the gasket to the air box as the instructions stated. Greased up the front of the air filter as stated (for easier fit and to help seal it off). I placed the filter in the air box, it was a tight fit but it went in. With the air box lid off, the filter didn't fit snuggly against the gasket and air box but, I think the lid is supposed to make the filter snug up to the air box and gasket.

My biggest problem is I can't get the air box lid back on the air box with the K&N filter in there. I guess I'm having a hard time lining up the top of the K&N filter to the slot in the air box lid.

Questions:
1. Is there a trick or a secret to getting the K&N filter to fit better, or a trick to putting the air box lid back on with the K&N filter installed?

2. I ran the K&N filter on my old '01 400ex and really liked it. I noticed a difference, and it was easy to install (just had to tighten a clamp and that was it). Does the K&N air filter make a difference on the Raptor? Is the stock filter just as good? Is it worth using the regular K&N air filter in the Raptor over the stock filter? Also, any opinions on the K&N oil filter over the stock oil filter? I bought one of each.

One last question, where does the tube go that's connected to the air box snorkel?

Thanks in advance guys! Your advice is greatly appreciated. I want to get this thing figured out and start riding again.

THANKS!!!

Zero Z400
05-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Leave the airbox lid off. I think dirtwheels had an article about that said 3hp for $6. I think it would be worth it, even though it is a raptor... K&N have better flow than any stock filter.

Later

400thumper
05-09-2002, 03:12 PM
i put a pro flow on mine i think you need to cut the plastic on the bottom of the air box i'm not a 100% sure . k&n oil filter if you got the money i use fram ph5343 works great for me . plus a little cheaper wal-mart 5 bucks ..the air snorkel goes under the seat should fit right in might have to wiggle it have fun ...later

400exUtah
05-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks man, but the only problem is with the air box lid off, the dang filter doesn't fit snuggly against the air box. It actually leaves about a 3/4" gap where air can go right to the engine unfiltered!

I really miss the days when my K&N on my 400ex fit so well and so easily with a clamp. I guess I can call this my first craptor experience?!?!?!

Zero Z400
05-09-2002, 03:21 PM
3/4" damn.. I see why dirtwheels complains about Yamahaha's ****ty airbox. The only yamahaha i've ridden with is a breeze, and man is that thing a peice!! The airbox is horribly placed and its a pain to get on, his brakes r also messed up and some other stuff too.

Later

05-12-2002, 11:37 AM
You Need a Pro Flow air box conversion thing, its a must have. I have one on my Raptor and I dont think the K&N filter will work correctly without it. It holds it in place when you have the lid off. And if you want to run with the lid on you need to cut out some of the plastic on the lid to make it fit correctly.

velociraptor
05-15-2002, 06:09 AM
You need to trim the plastic tabs in te airbox for it to work, you should of bought the pro-flow billet plate with the K&N filter. The stock set up is an accident waiting to happen my friend get rid of it before you loose your motor.Call te Quad SHop ofor a cheap price on this set-up. Ask for Jeff or Marty 1-502-243-0193:devil