PDA

View Full Version : Bar Width

Pappy
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Lately I have been noticing the plain fact that my quad didnt seem to handle as well, or be as comfortable to ride as it was when it was stock.

With that in mind, I set out to determine the cause. I started with the suspension, checking everything from A Arm bushings to castor/camber. Then I moved onto the shocks and couldn't find anything abnormal. And other then finding I was a few degrees out on a camber setting on 1 wheel, everything was apparently normal.

So I spent the day riding between 2 quads. My fully aftermarket 416 and my factory chassied 450R. The 416 seemed to handle much better, and I noticed I wasn't as fatigued after a few laps on the track. I couldn't bring myself to just pony up and say the aftermarket frame was just that much better so I opened myself a nice cold drink and stared at the two quads.....still puzzled as to what the malfunction was.

After a few minutes it dawned on me, BARS!! The 450R has TAG CR double high bars, the 416 Renthal ATV bend. The bar height was close because the 416 has a stock length stem, whereas the 450R has a +1 stem. I concluded it had to be soley in the bar bend where my issue was. But how could that be? I mean they are different but not so much as to cause bad handling or fatigue me...could it? Doubtfull.

The next 15 minutes I spent sitting on 1 quad then the other and finally I have concluded that the bar width was too wide for me on the 450R! After a swap to stock bars on the 450R I was feeling much better and just wanted to pass on my findings. Maybe someone else out there can find a remedy for a few issues that could be solved by a bar change or cutting down thier current set up.

crayfz
03-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to have the same problems. Putting a plus 1" anti-fib stem on, and I know the stock YFZ bars will be to high then, not sure how to get them back down where I am used to being. Any ideas about close to the same bend but lower?

hardbodyt
03-22-2005, 04:44 AM
I totally agree, buthow to find they exact bend you need? I have a 400ex that I bought with aftermarket Renthals, and have no Idea what bend they are, but they are perfect, but I wanted to change to the TAG t2 bars...like my brother has on his, but i FEEL HIS BARS ARE WAY TO WIDE. So How to figure out what bend is the right bend?

cdalejef
03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I always cut mine down to 30"

Tommy 17
03-22-2005, 10:29 AM
pappy u know whats weird... the day i rode ur old white and blue 426ex i noticed ur bars were wide and the day i rode ur 450r at tomahawk they were way to wide again haha... they were WAY to wide for trail riding and wore me out haha... on a wide open MX track they weren't bad but i don't even want to think about it in the woods...

put my 400ex bend renthals on it and see how u like them:p

cletusEX
03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I know the stock 450R bars are shorter in length than the renthal bars on that 416. I put the same renthals on the 450R as I had on the 416 and they seem a lot higher. They also seem wider on the 450r. They are the same length but I know I cringe sometimes in off camber tight sections where I wouldn't with the 416. I don't know if it just seems that way cause the 450R is narrow through the tank area. I tried moving the bars back to lower them but then they hit my knees when I am fully turned. (that little peice of info came from a nice bruise above my knee.:p )
I just don't know if it's possible to have 2 different quads set up so they feel the same. You kinda have to just get used to one or the other I guess.

Pappy
03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
i agree on the 2 quads the same thing:p

i like that the tag and pro taper bars are a bit stronger then stock or even say renthal etc, but what i hate is trying to get stuff mounted up to them on the bar seeing that all the controls are for stock diameter bars.

jeff...have you had any issues when cutting down the bars as pertains to control fitment etc?

for the time being im going to run stock bars on the R and leave the 416 the way it is. im just glad im not goofy or nothing and others have noticed the ill effects of too wide a bar.

cdalejef
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Nope, I always have plenty of room. Altho I run a twist which takes up less space than a thumb.