PDA

View Full Version : HR TRX450r MX build up

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Its hard to follow a build up like Andy's, but just to give you something to do...I will do my best to describe my build up of my 450r.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
I went through two stages on this build. My first round was to keep it cheap and to get my through the summer without having any down time. Here are the mods from the first round...

MOTOR
- LRD Exhaust (re jetted)
- UNI Air Filter
BODY
- K & K ATV Graphics Kit
- Shaved Fenders
- K & K White Number Plates
- Red/ Black Numbers supplied by Advantage Design
- Carbon Fiber Hood with Scoop made by
FeatherCarbon
- Custom Bar Pad with "Hartman 30" inscribed
- Custom Seat Cover with "RIDE FAST OR BE
LAST" written
CONTROLS
- + 3 Burgard A-Arms Standard Travel
- Douglas Baja wheels with MXR tires on the front
- Burgard rear beadlocks with turf tamers
- AC racing Nerf Bars with heel kick up
- Pro Taper handle bars with Oury grips

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:23 PM
The mod that most impressed me was the LRD
Exhaust. With the removal of the air box lid and a
new main jet, the 450r would have ran with my Arens
250r. When mounting the exhaust, be sure to check
for the smash ring in the head. If the ring is missing,
it can cause unwanted damage. They are merely $5
to replace, which I suggest. The exhaust used stock
mounts and did so with ease. The K&K graphics
arrived 2 days after my order was place (very
impressed). They looked great on the quad, but the
tank graphics have been giving me problems with
bubbling up. In my opionion small holes need to
replace the small slits. With a little bit of time and only
two mods, the 450r was a totaly different looking
machine. To go with the race look, I used a dremel
and cut away some of the stock front plastics. To
help me out on the MX track I added some +3
Burgard Std. travel a-arms. I was able to use my
stock shocks with these. I wasn't expecting them to
work as well as they did, after some tuning. I
mounted up my pro taper handle bars from my old
250r and hit the tracks. I didn't quite like the steering
set up. For my next addition I planned to add a
extended steering stem.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I broke my ankle towards the end of summer. Enough excuse for me to give the 450 a makeover. I had the entire quad apart in a little more than 2 hours. I bagged and labeled all the parts so the rebuild would go much smoother.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I have a thing for white plastics so the only real choice was the color of the frame. I decided against guesseting my frame for a couple reasons. I was going to have a complete aftermarket control and suspension system and the fact that I am not an A class rider led me to choose not to guesset. The frame was sent to a local powder coater, Ingahms.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Ingahms did an impressive job. They are a local company for me and have done one frame for me previously. I couldn't find a single flaw in their job. They did the frame, subframe, motor mounts, bumper, pro pegs, and many other misc items for me this time around.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
The motor was tricky to get back into place. I didn't want to sratch up the powder coat so I taped rags to the spots that were vulnerable. I have built 3 other 450r's in my garage and it has gotten a lot easier. Practice makes perfect.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I timed most of my parts to come in at the same time. I was pretty good at accomplishing this. I decided to stay with Burgard Front arms, but instead upgrade to a long travel type. Due to the fact that I have had good experieces with Burgard, (and he is semi-local to me) I order all the products he made for the 450r.
Burgard Products I ordered:
+1 Stem
+3 LT Arms
+1 Swingarm
Bearing Carrier

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:41 PM
The arms went on good but after having them in place I realized they didn't move very freely. I decided to take them back off and grind away some of the powder coat on the frame.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
I tested out a set of Flexx Handlebars on a friends ATV and loved them. I decided to order a set for myself for this build. Here are some of the parts laying around...I kept them out so I would be more inclined to work more on it.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I really like my LRD pipe but I was able to pick up a Yosh Pro Carbon Fiber exhaust at a good price online. Because I was going with white plastics, I wanted a uniform look. I order a natural color IMS tank. It would flow with my white maier plastics and alow me to see how much gas was left. Not really that important in MX, but will be useful when I am riding at my home track or at Rausch

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Due to an unfortunate computer accident that almost led to the destruction of my computer, I am missing a bunch of build pictures.

I bought a set of Hardcore hubs thinking I was going to have more red in it. After looking at this picture for a while, I realized they needed to go. The hiper red rings were soon to follow.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I went with a complete set of hiper-tech wheels because of the response I have heard from racers. There is a reason so many people have them....they are awesome. Mounting and changing the tires on these rims is so easy compared to the conventional beadlock and stock rims.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Before I even had everything mounted and in place, I wanted to get some stickers on it. Half of the stickers ended up getting moved or removed before I was done with it.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:20 PM
One of few things survived from the firts wave of build up. My cross bar pad from Raught Racing was one of few. The pad displays my last name in the front along with my last name and number on top. After two years of my abuse, I am really impressed with the quality of the piece.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
After much debate, I went with elka shocks. Here again, with the approval of many racers I felt confiden in my decision.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Along with the front shocks, I went with an Elka Rear shock as well. I also ordered the long travel linkage they had developed. Without even riding the quad, I was impressed on how much travel my rear end had.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I ordered myself a set of Hardcore Black front hubs along with a set of black hiper rings. I was hoping this would change the look to what I was originally going for.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Because I didn't go with the piggy back version of the elka shocks, I had to find places for three canisters up front. I decided I wanted to keep it clean. I exposed the front two using K&K clamps. The third I hid underneath the hood on using a combination of a ECA clamp and my own manufacturing. I hope you can kind of see what I did in the picture. The res actually sits right behing the grill of my quad tech hood. This way it recieves the protection from the billet insert and has good air flow to stay cool.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I decided to change my hood to a quad-tech product. I also ordered a set of quad tech graphics. they were the only graphics I could see fit for this build. I was anxious to put them on and see what they looked like on the quad.

I used the shrink wrap on the tires to keep them clean. The quad sat around for a couple months and in the end, I wanted some really nice clean pictures.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
I really took my time on the graphics. In the end, it paid off. I thought they turned out really good.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
This was a long build for me (to pay all the bills) but I appreciate the quad more knowing I worked hard for it.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I set up a homemade photoshoot. I went to wal-mart and bought a few red sheets. I hung them up and layed them on the floor. It really made a difference in pictures.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:45 PM
I plan to make a few more changes to the quad when I come up with some money and time. I want to add some color and shine to the motor and maybe a few internal mods.

theTman
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
that is so kickass!!!!! good job man

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
My seat cover was made by a member on this site. I had ordered it off ebay when I first got my 450r. The sides say "Hartman" while the back says "Ride Fast or Be Last" I like the customized idea of the seat cover but haven't decided if I will use the quad tech cover or not.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
The quad tech seat cover flows a little better. I have an extra seat, so I will probably use both throughout the year.

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Motographx hooked me up with some custom number plates with my website name and my number on. They fit really well on the number plates and on the plastic. For $45 for 4 plates, I couldn't go wrong. By the time I would buy numbers and 2 sets of plates from another company..I would have already spent more than that.

Munno#37
03-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Very nice I really like the white plastic myself. Good job man it looks really nice!!!!!!

tamehart
03-21-2005, 05:57 PM
That is all I have for now. When I get home and get to really put all these products to the test. I will update the page.

I would like to thank all those that help and support me;
Mom and Dad
Hartmanracing.com
IMS
ECS Honda
Power Madd
Elka
Burgard
TrickFab.com
CardioStackRacing.com
Quad-Tech
AtvRiders.com

tamehart
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Here is a picture from the EXriders day at Rausch. I wasn't a member then, but been a member since. This was one of my first rides with the quad.

For more info, check out hartmanracing.com

Thanks for checking out my build.

WhiteBros400ex
03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
This is a really sick 450r i have seen it in person and let me tell you it is bad *****.

Good work man:D

Pappy
03-21-2005, 06:32 PM
lol..i voted for that quad in the builder contest:p im sorry ya didnt win, i really liked it:)

tamehart
03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Pappy...I will be looking you up here soon. I am starting an XC project...was hoping to get you to do some coating for me.

ny300exrider
03-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol..i voted for that quad in the builder contest:p im sorry ya didnt win, i really liked it:) yep same here

hardkoratvmxr
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
very very very very very very very nice build

Jersey450R
03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I think I have a new background and new favorite 450R.

roughrider01
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow, that is really nice.. hell of a good job man!! :macho

Sportrax10
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Great work Shane, your 450r is one of my favorites.

I cant wait to meet up over the summer and ride...

Good luck with the shop...
:macho

kazpr
03-22-2005, 01:48 AM
Dam nice job!!

spincr4hire
03-22-2005, 12:58 PM
very nice R, love the white/black

jb500ex
03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
nice job shane, i really like the cardio stack sticker.

Pappy
03-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by tamehart
Thanks for the comments guys.

Pappy...I will be looking you up here soon. I am starting an XC project...was hoping to get you to do some coating for me.

will do all i can for ya.

i also should have a titlke for that frame, if youd pm me your addy i will mail it out for ya.

Punk'd
03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Awesome I love the white plastics!

TWISTED
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Be proud.... AWESOME RIDE!!!

03-24-2005, 06:10 PM
great ride!!! hope to see it in person!! i'll be down at rouch onjune 11-12 for an neatv race:D

JrdSHIFT450r
03-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Looking good shane that hard work shure does pay off:D

Ty's400
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Very nice!:eek:

WOracing
03-25-2005, 11:35 AM
you got some mad respect from me

catch22blaster
03-25-2005, 07:05 PM
wow look at all those goodies on that quad very nice

Dave400ex
03-26-2005, 08:47 AM
That thing is awesome. Very nice job...

team_450_88
03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
awesome quad, looks good..Im gonna re-do mine this winter...I think ill either go with white or black plastics and tha quad-tech graphics..Also can you tell me where I can get one of those seat covers? ALso one of those bar pads? I wanna have them for when I get my rebuild done...Thanks

tamehart
03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I appreciate it. I am starting my new project at the end of this month. I will be sure to keep a running thread of the progress!

Thanks again. Hope to see you all around!

JRDrider22
03-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Shane,
that bike looks sick. hopefully ill see you around some tracks to ride. see ya then

Joey

SSracingNY
03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
props to you man. thing looks sick. id be afraid to get it dirty. well not really:devil: