PDA

View Full Version : hmf sound

redexrider4290
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
i am looking into geting a hmf exhaust and i was wandering
does anyone know the DB's of a hmf full exhaust
does anyone know the DB's of a stock 250ex and if i put the qiute core in the exhaust is it still going to be louder than stock

redexrider4290
03-22-2005, 11:15 AM
someone please answer me!!!

drifterx
03-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
someone please answer me!!!

Jeeze, take it easy killer!

No, don't know the DB's of either. But my buddies brother's 250ex, with the stock pipe, was pretty quiet. And my buddies 300ex, with the HMF slip on, is loud, but sounds good. It isn't overly loud, not like no exhaust at all, but its definatelly loud. Heard one time, that an HMF is right at 100 db's, but don't quote me on that. Good pipe though, good power gains, and sounds really great.

redexrider4290
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
i just wanted a answer because i want to resaerch a 300 dollar investment before i buy it

does the sound carrier very far

does it sound good with the qiute core in it 91 DB's sounds pretty qiute and i dont want anything that is going to be to qiute i still want something louder than stock i just dont want it to be real loud because i wont be able to ride the places i ride if its to loud
i took the spark arester out for a little while and it wasn't to loud but i put it back in because i didn't want to run to lean so does anyone know how much louder the hmf is than a stock pipe with the spark arester out

04'400ex'er
03-22-2005, 06:29 PM
i just wanted a answer because i want to resaerch a 300 dollar investment before i buy it

does the sound carrier very far

does it sound good with the qiute core in it 91 DB's sounds pretty qiute and i dont want anything that is going to be to qiute i still want something louder than stock i just dont want it to be real loud because i wont be able to ride the places i ride if its to loud
i took the spark arester out for a little while and it wasn't to loud but i put it back in because i didn't want to run to lean so does anyone know how much louder the hmf is than a stock pipe with the spark arester out It's gonna be quite a bit louder than the stock pipe. They are loud. Quiet core will help, but it will still be alot louder than stock.

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 01:22 PM
i know i asked you this on another froum but 04 4002exr did you notice the difference once you put your hmf on

does the hmf make a real low-four stroke -roar i love when a quad sounds like that i have a freind with a 300 and some fmf pipe on i think and his quad sounds awsome

so with the qiute core it is still going to be a bit louder than stock

JDiablo
03-28-2005, 01:25 PM
i gurantee you that it isnt going to be 91 db's with the quiet core
it is like 103 without the quiet core
and i would say maybe 99 with it
On my full HMF for my 400 the quiet core really doesnt help to much to tell you the truth:o

2muchquad
03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
almost any 4 stroke with a loud exhaust is gonna carry,especially more than any 2 smoke.so if you plan on riding in a retirement community where people always call the cops,then NO aftermarket exhaust will be for you,all will be louder than stock to some degree,even with inserts.

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 01:33 PM
i am not worried about people calling the cops its just that i keep my quad at my freinds house and his parents dont want me to get a loud pipe they said if its to loud then they wont let me keep it there but when i took my baffle out i thought that was pretty loud and they didn't mind that much also mt freinds bike is real loud and they dont care i think they just dont want me to get one that is real loud and like a obnokshis loud if the sound isn;t annoying i dont think they will mind.

i found a site that said the qiute core for the hmf lowerd the db's to like 91 is that not true a nd like how far away could you hear my quad if i have a hmf w/ a qiute core

JDiablo
03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
i am not worried about people calling the cops its just that i keep my quad at my freinds house and his parents dont want me to get a loud pipe they said if its to loud then they wont let me keep it there but when i took my baffle out i thought that was pretty loud and they didn't mind that much also mt freinds bike is real loud and they dont care i think they just dont want me to get one that is real loud and like a obnokshis loud if the sound isn;t annoying i dont think they will mind.

i found a site that said the qiute core for the hmf lowerd the db's to like 91 is that not true a nd like how far away could you hear my quad if i have a hmf w/ a qiute core

half a mile prolly or more

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 02:31 PM
It sounds good, but isn't crazy loud, like a TC pipe....

JDiablo
03-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
It sounds good, but isn't crazy loud, like a TC pipe....

:devil:

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Your neighbors are going to hate you... That pipe made plenty of mine mad. :D

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
a half a mile thats a pretty long ways but i think im goin to get it anyway ive been wanting it a a ong time a nd ive been saving up and i think im going to get it

But that website said 91DB's i dont think they could say that and it not be true don't you think :confused:

JDiablo
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
haha ya i know that is why im only going to run it when i go to my county house where they got like 5 people that live on a long *** road,and i sent it out today to get ceramic coated :devil:

and Red yes they say it,but it is always louder

04'400ex'er
03-28-2005, 02:58 PM
i know i asked you this on another froum but 04 4002exr did you notice the difference once you put your hmf on

does the hmf make a real low-four stroke -roar i love when a quad sounds like that i have a freind with a 300 and some fmf pipe on i think and his quad sounds awsome

so with the qiute core it is still going to be a bit louder than stock I noticed quite a bit of difference when I put the pipe on. Probably 4-6 bike lengths in a drag. It really isnt that loud at idle but when you get after it it roars. The 91db is bs. the hmf is straight through. not much keeping it quiet accept the length of the can. It is a good sounding roar. What is it for? If it is for a 250ex then Im not gonna say you will have a roar like a 400ex will give you cuz you only have half the motor. but it will sound lots better than stock.

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah it is for a 250ex hey 04400exr did you put your air filter on at the same time as the pipe
i was thinking of getting a K&N air filter to will that make much of a difference and i herd there is a difference between like jets in a jet kit or jets from the shop they arleady have is this true

Will the hmf give me more wheelie power i can pull them in 3rd no problem but for 4th i need a hill and a good bump will the pipe help in whellies

JDiablo
03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
yeah it is for a 250ex hey 04400exr did you put your air filter on at the same time as the pipe
i was thinking of getting a K&N air filter to will that make much of a difference and i herd there is a difference between like jets in a jet kit or jets from the shop they arleady have is this true

Will the hmf give me more wheelie power i can pull them in 3rd no problem but for 4th i need a hill and a good bump will the pipe help in whellies

with the pipe you should be able to to that in 5th

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 03:41 PM
do wat wheelie

how much will it help if i put a K&N air flter on with the pipe

04'400ex'er
03-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Will the hmf give me more wheelie power i can pull them in 3rd no problem but for 4th i need a hill and a good bump will the pipe help in whellies I already had the filter but Id reccomend to go ahead and get one. gives a little extra torque and a little crisper throttle response. All these mods will differ from quad to quad so you might see a little different gains on yours. A jet kit is a box with a few jets in it and a needle and springs and shims. you could go order a couple pilot jets and a couple mains and do the same thing. I would just go with the hmf and K&N and remove the airbox lid. the filter will compliment the pipe well. Call HMF tech. support and ask them what jetting specs you will need for your 250 with a full system no lid and k&n filter at your sea level. Then you can order the jets they tell you. I would order a jet smaller and a jet bigger too. or 2 sizes smaller and 2 sizes bigger. Then you got your own jet kit.:p Just get the hmf and do what I said and you WILL be pleased.

redexrider4290
03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
willl my top speed go up any if i get a the hmf alone
will it go up if i get the hmf full system and k&n

one time i called the shop that does the work on my quad and i asked about removing the baffle out of the exahsut and they said the would probobly have the jets there to rejet my biek so i wouldn't need to order new jets would i

04'400ex'er
03-28-2005, 06:09 PM
willl my top speed go up any if i get a the hmf alone
will it go up if i get the hmf full system and k&n

one time i called the shop that does the work on my quad and i asked about removing the baffle out of the exahsut and they said the would probobly have the jets there to rejet my biek so i wouldn't need to order new jets would i Your top speed will go up maybe 1-2mph either setup. Acceleration will go up lots. you will never have much more top speed becaues you dont have sprokets to regear. If they have jets to rejet period then they have jets to rejet for your bike whether it be baffle out or pipe. The question is do they have the exact one you need in stock? call them and tell them what you are doing and ask them about jetting and if they have what you need.

boystoys
03-29-2005, 04:38 AM
not sure how if the carb is the same brand on the 250s but on the 400 it is sooo easy to replace a jet, there is a cap on the bottom of the float bowl you just tak it off get a maybe 10mm socket and extension an reach up there and take the jet out... take you about 2min at the most....

as for power... on my 400 the gain after just a HMF slip on was UNBEILIEVABLE best $270 i EVER spent for my quad, i also geared it down to a 14t sprocket, now it has crazy torque too....

04'400ex'er
03-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by boystoys
not sure how if the carb is the same brand on the 250s but on the 400 it is sooo easy to replace a jet, there is a cap on the bottom of the float bowl you just tak it off get a maybe 10mm socket and extension an reach up there and take the jet out... take you about 2min at the most....

as for power... on my 400 the gain after just a HMF slip on was UNBEILIEVABLE best $270 i EVER spent for my quad, i also geared it down to a 14t sprocket, now it has crazy torque too.... Its a 6mm socket.

dupjay21
03-29-2005, 07:02 PM
I have a hmf slip on for my 300 and i changed the quite core that i got from hmf to the quite one from Yoshimura. The one from yoshimura was supposed to be quiter. It is quite at idle but when you get on it, it's loud. i talked the guys from hmf and they said that when you add the quite core you loose on the top end speed. i did also noitce a big difference in acceleration though. i also have a k&n filter and did notice a difference with that as well. I like the hmf pipe alot, just wish it was a little quiter.

2001400exrider
03-30-2005, 06:16 PM
****....i told my parents the HMF is gunna be not to loud...:rolleyes: :huh lol..............its arriving tormo at my house

redexrider4290
03-31-2005, 02:36 PM
so the hmf is loud wiht the qiute core
and if i put the qiute core in it is going to take away a bunch of my power

getting a exahust that is realy loud is out of the question i mean i could get on tha tis a little louder but not as much as i think its gona be from listening to you guys so maybe ill be better of just buying a fmf megamax and a k&n

Would it be worth buying a fmf megamax and a k&n instead of a hmf because from the way it sound i can't get the hmf

dupjay21
03-31-2005, 07:25 PM
I wouldnt say that it takes away a bunch of power. You will still notice a big difference with the new pipe with a quite core in it over a stock pipe. And everyones take on how loud something is is different. It is a lot louder then stock, if that is what you want to know, but if you can get away with it then get one. If there is any question about the noise then check into one that may be more quite. Where i ride up here in Mass we a loosing places to ride all the time so if know that there is going to be a problem about noise i just put my stock pipe back on

muddy400EX
03-31-2005, 08:39 PM
just get the HMF. i have it on my 400 with the K&N, and jetted and it made a very big difference. the FMF megamax is CRAP! dont get that, my HMF is pretty loud but its not like ear deafining loud or anything like that. and you have a 250 so it prolly will be a lil quieter and if its not quiet enough then get the quiet core. dont waste your money on some crappy pipe just because you cant have loud. HMF's are very nice pipes, youll be happy with it:)

Cody_300ex
04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I like my HMF, heres a sound clip. The sound turned out a lil low so you might wanna crank er up. www.very.de

300ex-boy
04-01-2005, 03:24 PM
lil 300 ex kid, that never gets old HAHAHAHAHA:devil: