PDA

View Full Version : Piston ring upside-down?

BLEEDRED
03-21-2005, 08:14 AM
What would happen if during a top end rebuild you were to make a blunderous oversite with one of the rings? I would imagne that some rings don't matter but I know some have a mark on them that need to point up...correct?

MIKE400EX
03-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Top ring upside down would likely result in a lot of blow-by. 2nd ring would probably get you a little more blow-by and increased oil usage. Oil rings don't have a top/bottom, just don't let the expander ends overlap.

BLEEDRED
03-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Are there some rings that don't need to be installed with one particular side up or down? The reason I ask is because my buddy is rebuilding his Harley and he doesn't remember if there was a mark on the top two rings. So now the whole top end is four bolts from being finished and I am telling him that he needs to tear it back apart and check to be safe. Again, is it possible that some rings don't matter?

MIKE400EX
03-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Some rings it doesn't matter, most do. Call/email the supplier or manufacturer - they can tell you for sure. Did you guys remember to check the end gaps?

BLEEDRED
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Yup, he checked the gaps and filed them with a ring filer but then I guess was so excited to set up the bike he never noticed if there was a dot/mark/letter on the rings. I was 6 or 7 beers in at that point and thought he had things under control. He is calling the supplier today. I expect to have to tear it down to the cases again...:mad:

MIKE400EX
03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Leave the beer for AFTER!:D

BLEEDRED
03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
I never drink when turning wrenches on my own bike, but when asked to help out a friend and then they show up 2 hours late, you better believe I'm going to be tippin' a few.