PDA

View Full Version : Works Shocks a waste of Money?

04'400ex'er
03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Are works shocks a waste of money like I have herd or are they an ok shock? I wont be racing just hard trail riding and jumping sand dunes. I just want something to soak up the bumps and smooth out the ride of the ol' 400. If I get any they will Have remote rezzies with them. And if anyone wants to sell some let me know. Thanks

mx400
03-20-2005, 08:55 PM
they aren't a bad shock. a great upgrade from stock. if you don't have money for elka, tcs, pep, or axis and just want something better than stock I say go for it.

04'400ex'er
03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
I could possibly look into some TCS shocks but I cant justify the price of Elkas or PEPs for what I ride.

nemesis
03-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I could possibly look into some TCS shocks but I cant justify the price of Elkas or PEPs for what I ride.
Get the elka front w/o rezzies and have your stock rear shock rebuilt by elka. That is what I did and I spent less than $800 for everything including shipping.
Go to ebay for the fronts and C&D racing for the rear.

Juggalo
03-20-2005, 11:06 PM
i really like my works shocks

03-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i really like my works shocks i liked mine ALOT too

nosliw
03-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i liked mine ALOT too

what kind did you get?

2000400EX
03-21-2005, 06:50 AM
I'm in the same dilema right now too. I'm looking at the Works A/T Steeler tripple rate with threaded adj. preload w/o rezzies or the Elka recreational series shocks. One thing that concerns me about the Elkas is that I read it lowers your ride height....and I don't want to do that. Anybody got any info on that? I'm also looking to have my rear rebuilt, but I don't know where I want to have that done either. I too only ride agressive trails and some dunes.

cdalejef
03-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Works are a very nice improvement over stock as Elkas are a very nice improvement over Works.
Yes, Elka's are SSD (self sagging) shocks. This is a good thing which makes the quad ride lower in the trave and improve handling a bunch! All the top pro's in MX and XC run some type of sagging shock. All the top shock companines have gone to this type of shock.
You can order them without the SSD but you won't be getting as good of a setup.

04'400ex'er
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
So the ELKA Recreational series shock without rezzies will be a better shock than the Works Race series tripple rate with rezzies? What about TCS shocks? How do they compare to the two? Also, what rate springs are the ELKA's? I just want something to smooth out the ride.

2000400EX
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Will a SSD type of shock work well for trail/woods riding though?

03-21-2005, 09:01 AM
i had some steeler triple rate w/o ressies...

cdalejef
03-21-2005, 09:02 AM
So the ELKA Recreational series shock without rezzies will be a better shock than the Works Race series tripple rate with rezzies? What about TCS shocks? How do they compare to the two? Also, what rate springs are the ELKA's? I just want something to smooth out the ride. Yes. The TCS shocks fall between the Works and Elka's. The spring rates will depend on how much you weigh and the type of riding you do. Each shock is custom built for each individual rider. Any aftermarket shock will be much smoother than stock. Some better than others.

cdalejef
03-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 2000400EX
Will a SSD type of shock work well for trail/woods riding though? Yes, SSD is better for all types of riding and racing.

2000400EX
03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Yes, SSD is better for all types of riding and racing.

Cool, thanks!

xsr_racing28c
03-21-2005, 11:17 AM
hey mixmaster, are those tri-rate works w/o rezzies better than the stock 450r shocks??

zephead400ex
03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like we do the same type of riding: trails and dunes!...even the same dunes:D

I have +2 arms w/ Works triple rates w/ rezzies. They are a huge improvement over stock, but there is always something better, usually more money too. Through C&D I bought Burgard arms and these shocks for less than $1k about a year ago, but prices could higher now.

If you do go with these shocks, you won't be disappointed. As for the rough sand (anymore) at Waynoka, the triple rates will definitely let you run faster and be more in control. This weekend was very rough...thank god I'm not still running the stock shocks:eek2:

Hope this helps bro.

awsomeaussies
03-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Would Works Triple Rate w/ a rebuild by The Quad Shop or Derisi even compare to Elka's? I got some Works shocks that need a major rebuild, but I don't know if I should just buy some Elka Recreational Shocks instead. One more thing.... Can you add ssd to your shocks?
Thanks

cdalejef
03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Nope, the piston type valving just doesn't work as well as shim valving.

<DRS>GPF
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Are works shocks a waste of money like I have herd or are they an ok shock? I wont be racing just hard trail riding and jumping sand dunes. I just want something to soak up the bumps and smooth out the ride of the ol' 400.

i asked myself the same thing, for the same reasons..

when i bought my works, my friend bought his elka's..(ive mentioned this in another post..) neither of us bought the rezzy's to go with them but figured for what we do, that the triple rates would do nicely..

i weigh 195 and he weighs 185-190, so either set of shocks ordered shouldve been applicable to either one of us. i was skeptical id even notice the difference with either setup when compared to stock shocks..
we trail ride alot, hill climb and we definitley like to jump things..

for me it was like this...
other than a occasional enduro bike, ive had a 3-wheeler, then i had a 400sport and now ive got a 400ex. each one was a very noticable technology leap in suspension.. each advancement made the old seem like a logwagon when compared to it predecessor..

thats the difference it made from my stock EX shocks to the works shocks..

as its turned out, without putting even more cash into the elka's, the ride would never have been as smooth as the out of the box works.. the works just had a good plush feel when you land.

we played with the elka's, adjusting over and over and tried each setting on jumping and trailblazing.
we finally got a pretty good ride out of them but it only has around 1/2" of adjustment left before theyre out of thread.. even now they still feel stiff on deep compressions..

he's not done playing with them and is waiting on a suggestion or two from elka..

now knowing what i do, i feel that it was worth what i paid.. anything more would be throwing out money for no gain to me.

04'400ex'er
03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Sounds like we do the same type of riding: trails and dunes!...even the same dunes:D

I have +2 arms w/ Works triple rates w/ rezzies. They are a huge improvement over stock, but there is always something better, usually more money too. Through C&D I bought Burgard arms and these shocks for less than $1k about a year ago, but prices could higher now.

If you do go with these shocks, you won't be disappointed. As for the rough sand (anymore) at Waynoka, the triple rates will definitely let you run faster and be more in control. This weekend was very rough...thank god I'm not still running the stock shocks:eek2:

Hope this helps bro.

What's up man. It's been a while. I herd they r building another shop up there or somethin at sahara. How was it? We are plannin a trip within about 4 weeks if i can get the folks around. Anxious to try the HMF out in the sand. yall should meet us up there.
Anyways, I am gonna check into the elkas and a little more into the works and make a decision. Money has alot to do with it, I just need something to smoothe out the bumps and soak up the jumps. not a race shock. Thanks for the help jeff.

wheeltrax
03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I was in the same predicament for the longest time. I have been debating on whether to get shock, and which ones to get since august. I finally sprung (no pun intended) for the elka econo. I think i will be happy with them. Its a giant mud mess here, so I have yet to ride them or set the preload up yet either. Now im just debating on if i should send the rear shock in as well.

04'400ex'er
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I think I might buy a set of works triple rate with remote rezzies and go with them. I am going to look into the prices a little more first. Where can i get works the cheapest and elkas the cheapest?

nosliw
03-22-2005, 08:03 PM
if you order the works shocks how heavy of a rider can they make them for? how light of a rider?

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 06:49 AM
As heavy or light of a rider as you want.

03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
hey mixmaster, are those tri-rate works w/o rezzies better than the stock 450r shocks?? yes...but they had NO adjustments so my 450r shocks are kinda cool for when I trail ride at my house or go to the MX track with my friends...either way I just have to adjust one set of shocks