PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with these Aftermarket co.

MillerTime
03-19-2005, 11:35 PM
What is up with these aftermarket companies charging the atv market with these outrageous prices. I’m in the market for buying some long travel shocks and a-arms and can’t believe that companies are getting people to bite on these prices. Hell I could all most buy another quad for the price some of these a-arms are going for. These companies come out with a new design that hasn’t been proven in the field and charge your left arm. The material a lone couldn’t cost more than 25 to 50 bucks tops. I didn’t realize this sport was equivalent to Nascar. Shopping for atv parts is worse than going to Disney World. They don’t want a little of your money they want all of your money.

muddy400EX
03-19-2005, 11:38 PM
yep, stuffs expensive. their is 4-stroke exhausts out now that are almost 1000 dollars:eek2:

JDiablo
03-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
yep, stuffs expensive. their is 4-stroke exhausts out now that are almost 1000 dollars:eek2:

and whats that?

Yea it is pretty bad compared to car parts:o

muddy400EX
03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
the white bros. carbon pro at my dealer was 900-sumthin and the guy said that with tax its over 1000 dollars:eek:

JDiablo
03-19-2005, 11:48 PM
such bullchit nowadays,i was looking at some TC exhausts...4?? suttin dollars for a TC slipon it is getting ridiuclous(sp)

03-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by MillerTime
What is up with these aftermarket companies charging the atv market with these outrageous prices. I’m in the market for buying some long travel shocks and a-arms and can’t believe that companies are getting people to bite on these prices. Hell I could all most buy another quad for the price some of these a-arms are going for. These companies come out with a new design that hasn’t been proven in the field and charge your left arm. The material a lone couldn’t cost more than 25 to 50 bucks tops. I didn’t realize this sport was equivalent to Nascar. Shopping for atv parts is worse than going to Disney World. They don’t want a little of your money they want all of your money.

I have asked myself this question many many many many times.. The money comes from the R&D that goes into it.. yea it might not seem like alot.. but what you DONT see is the junk pile of failed and unefficiant designs that didnt work, when they thought it would..

Now with that outta the way.. yea it totally BLOWS.. when i heard how much they wanted for a fatboy 4 exhuast, i about passed out.. 500 bux? wtf? They are charging 2-300 bux for a damn slipon? i can roll up a peice of steel and do it myself.. but it goes back to that r&d thing.. But the prices could come down a bit.. 1500+ to outfit a quad with elkas? that shouldnt cost anymore than 500-600 bux.. for 1500 bux you can have one PIMP *** suspension for your car..

What really bugs me, is most aftermarket to have to modify to get to fit.. or move somthing, or relocate somthing.. thats what i dont like.. It just bugs me too i suppose..

But theres nothing anyone can do, but TOTALLY stop buying from these companys for them to drop there prices.. thats bout it

Jesse

SRH
03-19-2005, 11:52 PM

lol 25 to 50 thats funny, go out and price some 4130, then price all the ball joints and hardware that come with them, add in the average amount of time in building that, the cost of powdercoat, then add in the cost of companies like roll who have insurance on there products then you have to consider all the r and d that went into it, cost of machinery used and what not

alot of people think ohh ill get some tubing from ace hardware bend it up and make them 2 inches longer than stock...suuuuuuuure

car parts are mass produced and poorly built compared to quad stuff, quads take a much harsher beating than a dirtbike there is much more to them

yeah **** is expensive but thats what it costs,i cant blame them for making a profit ,its business , you cant give everything away,if you cant afford it you cant, thats why right now dirtbikes are more popular but weve come a long way in a year or two eventually i think you wont see many completely worked quads except in the a and pro classes

SRH
03-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
I have asked myself this question many many many many times.. The money comes from the R&D that goes into it.. yea it might not seem like alot.. but what you DONT see is the junk pile of failed and unefficiant designs that didnt work, when they thought it would..

Now with that outta the way.. yea it totally BLOWS.. when i heard how much they wanted for a fatboy 4 exhuast, i about passed out.. 500 bux? wtf? They are charging 2-300 bux for a damn slipon? i can roll up a peice of steel and do it myself.. but it goes back to that r&d thing.. But the prices could come down a bit.. 1500+ to outfit a quad with elkas? that shouldnt cost anymore than 500-600 bux.. for 1500 bux you can have one PIMP *** suspension for your car..

What really bugs me, is most aftermarket to have to modify to get to fit.. or move somthing, or relocate somthing.. thats what i dont like.. It just bugs me too i suppose..

But theres nothing anyone can do, but TOTALLY stop buying from these companys for them to drop there prices.. thats bout it

Jesse

i understand that statement, but say the companies who make the car exhausts and car shocks make the same parts but for a quad... i bet the stuff doesnt last more than a week, handles like crap , i mean you can get a nice offroad suspension setup for 10-15k for a truck and for a quad 3-4k....the reason you have to modify stuff on quads from the aftermarket is because 1 they dont have access to the same equipment the oems do, 2 stuff has to be relocated and what not because the manufactuers are not at the point to where they have invested enough time and energy into developing the perfect setup, where as the aftermarket is a few steps ahead.. that slip on is more than a roll peice of aluminum, on my dr d i was looking at the welds and what not, the machining of the mounts, then take into consideration of the r and d that went into it... i have no complaints...i think the more expeirence you have around it the better understanding you have why stuff costs so much more, im all for cheaper parts, it would make this sport alot more cheaper and enjoyable, id love to be able to afford 2 race quads for what i have in mine...someday...someday

MillerTime
03-20-2005, 12:53 AM
You can blow this R&D stuff thru their 1000 dollar exhaust. I do agree that R&D has a little to do with their pricing but not 2,500 worth. Everything has a budget, starting from Planning, R&D, manufacturing, marketing, Sales, etc.. If these companies can’t make the part with there forecasted budget don’t charging us extra for their mistakes. Also these companies buy in bulk so your statement about the 4130 chrome molly steal is irrelevant.
I don’t mind these companies making money but robbing you legally is pitiful. Let me tell you, I guarantee you that more R&D goes into a manufactured car part than any atv part.
You don’t think these car part have a liability insurance, guess again. These companies got us right where they want us. They know that no matter how much R&D goes into these parts they can put an outrageous price on their product a people will by them. The only person I have herd of trying to control this issue is John Arens. This is one person that is truly dedicated to the atv enthusiasts.

Giz400ex
03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
I will also agree that the prices are out in orbit now. But, its your choice to buy it or not. If there's people out there to spend that kind of money on that, then go for it! But, I can find better things to spend that kind of money on. For me its a waste!

Buster
03-20-2005, 06:07 AM
well... from my perspective it isn't that bad. building my new 400ex has got to be the cheapest hobby I've had in a long time.
If you think ATV's are high priced you should take a new Jeep TJ, lift it, buy some good Dynatrac axles, Atlas tcase ect... My wife is GLAD I'm building a quad after putting $35k into a couple of Jeeps.

If you think you really need the +2 arms then just buy a set. If you want a set just so you look cool like the racers then its a waste of money. If you think you can build a set cheaper then by all means do it... and sell me a set.

yamablaster24
03-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Me and one of my sponsors recently built me a swingarm and shocks all around for my blaster. With all the R+d put in it would have been cheaper to go buy aftermarket lol. I do know what you guys are saying but most parts cant be mass produced and you have to build from scratch. chromoly steel isnt cheap either. Prices are risin every day. And for ball joints its about 100-150 bucks, then paying the tig welder 20-30 bucks an hour. Then insurance, and R+D i think everything equals out.

Pappy
03-20-2005, 06:46 AM
threads like this crack me up.

SRH
03-20-2005, 10:24 AM
You can blow this R&D stuff thru their 1000 dollar exhaust. I do agree that R&D has a little to do with their pricing but not 2,500 worth. Everything has a budget, starting from Planning, R&D, manufacturing, marketing, Sales, etc.. If these companies can’t make the part with there forecasted budget don’t charging us extra for their mistakes. Also these companies buy in bulk so your statement about the 4130 chrome molly steal is irrelevant.
I don’t mind these companies making money but robbing you legally is pitiful. Let me tell you, I guarantee you that more R&D goes into a manufactured car part than any atv part.
You don’t think these car part have a liability insurance, guess again. These companies got us right where they want us. They know that no matter how much R&D goes into these parts they can put an outrageous price on their product a people will by them. The only person I have herd of trying to control this issue is John Arens. This is one person that is truly dedicated to the atv enthusiasts.

from what i heard the guy is in hidiing because he screwed so many people over, and then i heard rumors that he hacks up a stock 400ex frame and thats his crf/ex frame that he sells for 1500 bucks the frame new from honda is 400 bucks so i sure hope thats not what hes doin....
you cant compare junk throw away street car parts to top of line mx atv suspension, you have to compare it to the offroad truck world and youll be close to 20 grand for a good suspension setup there so i dont really see your point , before you make a post like th is you should really look into things, there are companies that make a good profit and have really high prices but not every guy buys there stuff but th ere are people who do and dont care.

maybe you should look into burgard and american star there more affordable

muddy400EX
03-20-2005, 11:39 AM
i guess its better to have expensive high quality parts than cheap chitty parts:)

Zhvonte
03-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Funny thing is long travel shocks is strictly a repositioned shock mount on the lower a-arms. The width of the arms doesn't effect the pricing as much as going from standard travel to long travel.... but yet it takes more metal to widen an a-arm over repositioning a shock mount...