PDA

View Full Version : 2005 6 Hours of ATV America - Macon, GA (Live Coverage)

Admin
03-19-2005, 09:31 AM
The 2nd Round of the 6 Hours of America Series is underway this morning in Georgia on a picture perfect day with temps in the 60's and a light breeze.

Unfortunately for the riders the area received some heavy rain on Wednesday and section of the track have standing water on top of some Georgia clay which will eventually give
way to some nasty mud sections early in the race, so a good set of tires will be a must.

Unlike the high turnout at the opening round in Texas, only 17 teams signed up for the event this year, which was similar to the turnout last year. Last years event was held on Mother's Day weekend which I figured caused the poor turnout, so I was surprised to see the turnout low again this year considering the popularity of this event in other parts of the Country.

Admin
03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
The race is underway, and after only one lap, the Georgia clay has already started claiming some riders as they found themselves quickly stuck in the slimmy clay.

Five teams already came into pit after one lap to change riders and Haydug Cycles, Doug Flinner, is leading the race by a considerable margin with C&D Racing/ATVriders.com team (Ron Dernoski, Chad Kirby, and Randy) are currently running in 3rd.

ATVriders.com will be bringing you updates throughout the day from the event.

Admin
03-19-2005, 09:43 AM
After 4 laps, Doug Flinner (Cannondaleriders.com) have extended their lead to over 1 minute over 2nd place team C&D Racing/ATVriders.com with Randy Brandt onboard trying to make up time on the leaders after moving up to 2nd Place right before the end of the lap.

Several machines remain in the pits receiving repairs with a sandy/grimmy orange mud cover the majority of the quads.

Jaybr
03-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Go Cannondales!

I was supposed to be there with my to run a second Cannondaleriders.com quad, but it just didn't work out.

I just spoke to Doug, and thier still in first with growing lead, and the C & D team (also on a Cannondale) is in second.

:)

Admin
03-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Randy (C&D Racing/ATVriders.com) has taken over the lead in the 5th lap after Doug Flinner (Cannondaleriders.com) pulled into the pits to change riders.

Current Standing:
1. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com 30+ Class
2. Cannondaleriders.com Pro Class (1 lap lead over rest of Pros)
3. Mo Jo Racing B Class
4. Fredneck racing A Class
5. Country Boys Racing B Class

The Media Allstars recorded the fastest lap time with a 10:24, but have experienced issues that have kept them out of the lead.

Admin
03-19-2005, 11:20 AM
After 11 laps, Media Allstars have come back and taken the lead and pulled over a minute lead on Cannondaleriders.com. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com dropped back to 5th after they had to pit and add water to their Cannondale, but they are back out on the track, but are around 5 minutes behind the leaders.

Current Results
1st Media Allstars
2nd Cannondaleriders.com
3rd Peacemakers
4th Bulldog
5th C&D Racing/ATVriders.com

Admin
03-19-2005, 11:44 AM
After 14 laps
1st Media Allstars (2Minute 30 Second Lead) Pro Class
2nd Cannondaleriders.com Pro Class
3rd Peacemakers Pro Class
4th C&D Racing/ATVriders.com (12.5 Minute over 2nd Place 30+)
5th Country Boy Racing
6th Fredneck Racing

Admin
03-19-2005, 11:53 AM
The Media Allstar started out the day in 9th place after their 250R sucked in some water, so they had to head to the pits and dry it out. Since then, they have been on a roll and don't seem to be slowing down as they now have developed over a 4 minute lead on Cannondaleriders.com in 2nd Place and they increased the speed of their fastest lap time to less than 10 minutes with the average over 11 minutes for the rest of the teams.

There are two Ironman riders trying to last the entire 6 Hours by themselves :macho. Team World Cycle(Eric Thiem) is currently leading the class with 13 laps and Jorge Cuartas has completed 10 laps in 2nd Place, but with only few hours into the event, Jorge could easily still make up the lost time.

QuadRacer041
03-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Admin
The Media Allstar started out the day in 9th place after their 250R sucked in some water, so they had to head to the pits and dry it out. Since then, they have been on a roll and don't seem to be slowing down as they now have developed over a 4 minute lead on Cannondaleriders.com in 2nd Place and they increased the speed of their fastest lap time to less than 10 minutes with the average over 11 minutes for the rest of the teams.

There are two Ironman riders trying to last the entire 6 Hours by themselves :macho. Team World Cycle is currently leading the class with 13 laps and Jorge Cuartas has completed 10 laps in 2nd Place, but with only few hours into the event, Jorge could easily still make up the lost time.

thats right baby the R is out front.
4 stroke, who needs a 4 stroke, lets here it for 20 year old technology

Admin
03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Media Allstars have lapped the entire field and have 21 laps, and C&D Racing/ATVriders.com have moved up to 2nd Place after Cannondaleriders.com had an extensive pit stop to address some engine issues, which set them back several minutes.

1st. Media Allstars (Patton and Casey Thompson)
2nd. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com
3rd. Cannondaleriders.com
4th. Country Boys Racing B Class (Carl Lehman & Jason Gamble)

Admin
03-19-2005, 02:33 PM
The track is starting to get some nice ruts and berms forming as the sand and clay begin to give way. Media Allstars had a set back when they needed to stop and replace their swingarm, but were quick enough not to even lose the lead and still remain two laps ahead of now 2nd Place team C&D Racing/ATVriders.com with Country Boy racing less than 15 seconds behind them, so this will be a battle to the end for the 2nd Overall position with only these two teams on the 27th lap. Cannondalariders.com are back in action, but lost a lap making repairs and running 2nd in the Pro Class.

Also, the Peacemakers dropped back to 7th after getting stuck in the mud and also having to pit for some repairs to their machine.

Eric Thiem continues to lead the Ironman class with 20 laps and Jorge Cuartas moved to within two laps, but had to pull over because of leg cramps for a short period of time before returning to the race.

After 29 Laps and only 30 Minutes left in the Race
Overall Leaders
1. Media Allstars Pro
2. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com 27 Laps 30+
3. Country Boy Racing 27 Laps B
4. Cannondaleriders.com 26 Laps Pro Class
5. Fredneck Racing 26 Laps A Class
6. MWR 26 Laps B Class
7. Peacemaker 26 Laps Pro Class
8. Bulldog 26 Laps (Donny Banks Team) B Class

Class Leaders
Pro – Media Allstars
A – Fredneck Racing
30+ - C&D Racing/ATVriders.com
B – Country Boy Racing
Ironman – Eric Thiem

Admin
03-19-2005, 02:52 PM
With the White Flag out, Media Allstars have wrapped up the win before the white flag came and are out of the race with 31 laps, but the battle for 2nd Overall is intense with Country Boy Racing making the pass on C&D Racing/ATVriders.com when they changed riders and are now running almost side by side as they head into the back section of the track for the final lap.

The fastest lap of the day was in the 10th lap with a 9:41.
9:41

Admin
03-19-2005, 03:25 PM
The battle for 2nd Overall was to the finish line with Country Boy Racing holding onto the position by less than 1 second.

A Big Congratulations to C&D Racing/ATVriders.com Team (Ron Dernoski, Randy Brandt, Chad Kirby) for winning the 30+ Class once again and finishing Third Overall on a Cannondale :macho

Overall Finishes
1. Media Allstars - Pro Class
2. Country Boy Racing - B Class
3. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com - 30+ Class
4. Fredneck Racing
5. MWR Racing
6. Peacemaker
7. BullDog
8. ATVNation.com
9. MoJo Racing
10 WWC Racing

Pro Riders
1. Media Allstars (32 Laps) Brad Skelton, Casey Thompson, Patton Thompson 250R
2. Peacemaker (30 Laps) YFZ450
3. Cannondaleriders.com (26 Laps) Cannondale

A Class
1. Fredneck Racing (31 Laps) YFZ450

B Class
1. Country Boys Racing (31 Laps) 450R Carl Lehman & Jason Gamble
2. MWR (30 Laps) Honda
3. Team Bulldog (29 Laps) Donny Banks & Zak Griffin
4. MoJo Racing (28 Laps) LTZ400
5. WWC Racing (28 laps) Yamaha
6. 2 Guys Racing (25 Laps) Yamaha
7. Racing Spare Parts (7 Laps)

30+ Class
1. C&D Racing/ATVriders.com (31 Laps) Cannondale
2. ATV Nation (29 Laps) Vforce
3. Team Adapt (26 laps) Yamaha
4. 151 Racing (24 laps) Yamaha

IronMan Class
1. Eric Thiem (24 Laps)
2. Jorge Cuartas (20 Laps)

PrairieFrisbee
03-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Just got back from this race..had a blast...Rode my V-force in the +30 Class and came in second..8th overall..Scott Griffin.. Dan Garret and Marty Carpenter....ATVNATION.Com....the track was getting rutted up pretty bad towards the end..but at least it wasnt a mud fest like we thought it was going to be.

My son was there(PBYOUNGGUN)Zak Griffin to pit for us but was asked to ride on Team Bulldog with Donny Banks...he was all over it. We had to borrow Gear from a few folks since he had left all his at home....thanks Adapt Racing for the gear...and Fred Neck for the helmet...A long story short...Donny put in 9 laps and and had to leave..leaving Zak to run the last two hours by himself..on Donny's 400EX..Zak put in 20 laps total...100 miles..and maintained Team Bulldog in third place in the B Class....7th over all...not bad for a 15 year old kid who runs MX on a Blaster..I think he may start running GNCC..lol..yes I am a proud Dad...and he is one whupped dog already in bed..lol...

All in all...we had a blast..great weather..great folks..great riding..and only a few trees left with a bumper mark from the V...

Congrats to C D racing..those boys were skint back...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Congrats Ron, Chad, and Randy sounds like you had a good day:)

I am suprised with the turnout only 17 teams !

PrairieFrisbee you should be a proud Dad, Let him try a gncc or 2 he might get hooked, keep in mind the 6 hr races are more wide open that the gnccs. All I have to say is I wish I was a "youngin":D

PrairieFrisbee
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
SilverFox..thanks...Zak had been hooked on MX but now thinks XC maybe his new love..lol..at least until the next GNC..lol. When he turns 16 I am sure he will run a few GNCC...The track had some tight sections in it...but not nearly the length of tight sections a GNCC has in it...I have run GNCC before and feel lucky to come out of the woods with my fenders still attached..lol.

Dan229
03-20-2005, 01:01 PM
The V represented at the 6 hours of GA!

The 6 hours of GA was yesterday in Macon GA and me and a couple friends (McFrisbee and Swampy) went down and raced it on Friz’s V (the only auto there) in the 30+ class against 3 other teams who were on pure sport bikes (Cannondale and YFZ’s).

The weather was absolutely perfect for racing! The sun was shinning and the temp was in the mid to upper 60’s with a slight wind throughout the day.

Swampy and I had never ridden a V other than taking one down a dirt drag strip a time or two so we both were a little concerned on how we would handle the V under XC race conditions. Since I race a Prairie in GNCC and I am familiar with the auto and a heavy bike I was picked to lead off the race. At the drivers meeting we were advised that there were tight and muddy conditions on the track and to take it easy the first couple of laps to get a feel for things. We also had some friends to go down and volunteer to be course marshals and they got to ride the course several times before the race started and they also told us to be careful and take it easy as the track was indeed very tight in sections with quite a bit of mud out there so our plan for each rider on their first couple of laps was to just keep a good pace and see what was out there on the track and stay in one piece.

I got all suited up and headed to the starting line with the other 16 racers. We had the prayer and then about 30 seconds later the gun went off and I took off toward the V. She fired right up and I took off and got into about 8th off the start as we headed toward the rest of the track. We ran the back side of an MX track and then hit the woods. The first wooded part of the track was fairly open so we all stayed bunched up until we got to the second wooded section and then things got really tight! I raced the 6 hours last year in GA and this year’s track had sections much tighter than last year and even tighter in spots than the GA GNCC was with absolutely no way to pass anyone as the track went through what was basically a pine thicket with pine trees ever foot or so. The good part was that the tight sections were not very long but I did get delayed one time by someone turned over as I had no choice but to sit there and wait for him and the other riders helping him to get his quad turned back on its feet and get it started and move on. There wasn’t even enough room to push it out of the trail because of all the trees.

The first hour and half of the race was also a mud race in sections and a lot of teams were over heating and having to pit to clean out their rads and fill up their rads from the coolant being boiled out. We were ready for such things with a pressure washer, generator, etc… but Friz put the number plate on in such a manner that most of the mud being kicked up by roost hit that and with smart riding the V’s rad didn’t get very muddy at all. We ended up using the pressure washer on other people’s quads for the most part.

As the race wore on the ruts started to get bad in the tight pine sections and that started to cause a few issues with high centering and getting sideways if the fronts popped out of the grooves but other than that the track held up really well.
We raced hard all the way to the wire for our second spot. We didn’t realize the team closest to us (Adapt Racing) had had problems and we thought they were only a few minutes behind us for the last 5 laps so myself and Swampy held the hammer down and we were flying! The team that won the 30+ class was absolutely screaming on their Cannondale and they were two laps ahead of us but we ran hard and safe for the most part. A few trees have some missing bark and the V’s front bumper is tweaked a little and Swampy did air mailed in a whoop section but other than that no other damage and I have to say I’m impressed with the V Force. It was quite the rush for me to be doing almost 70 MPH down some of the fast sections with pine trees only two feet on either side of me. It was also really nice to have a much better suspension than what I am used to running as well. It was really cool to hit whoops at a good speed and not get bucked around like I do on the Prairie…I swear some days on that Prairie I feel like I am racing a friggen stage coach.

All in all I had a great time at the race and many thanks to Boggin for pitting us as well as thanks to Friz and Swampy for another great time and great memories.

One unexpected event that happened at the 6 hours is Friz’s son Zak was asked by Donny Banks to run the race with him and lil Zak (who is 15) ended up running 20 laps!!! That is 100 miles!!! Donny had to leave early and left Zak to maintain their position and the lil snot was laying the smack down on a quad he had never ridden before with borrowed gear!!! Zak had gone down with us just to watch us old men act like teenagers and pit for us. He normally races a blaster on MX and as far as I know he has never even ridden a 400 ex before. After Donny asked him to ride with him some gear was scrounged from various riders and Zak took the 400 for a couple of runs in a grassy area and then the race was on. Donny started the race and ran a few laps then switched with Zak and end the end the lil guy was turning faster lap times than we were and the lil snot beat us by 3 minutes over all coming in 7th over all! My hat is off to him for getting out there and running that long on borrow stuff. Great job Zak!

I highly encourage anyone that wants a taste of XC racing without hundreds of other riders and in a team format to run a 6 hours race. They are truly a very fun race to run and the people there are great! Not to mention the ******** model that was there was Gawd awful fine!!! Darn she was good looking…