PDA

View Full Version : glowing red header

370kingR
03-19-2005, 05:42 AM
It is 100 percent normal. Trust me on this, you are fine. Go out and ride it and i know for a fact that that will go away very soon. All bikes do it when you first fire them up from a rebuild. Its just not everyone see's it because sometimes its bright out and you just cant see it as well. In a garage its not that bright and you can see it better. DONT TOUCH YOUR JETTING UNLESS THE CONDITION PERSISTS. If by chance it persists you would then richen up your pilot jet and air screw, but make sure before doing any of that Garret. Also check for a good seal around the header. Exhaust header leaks can contribute to that condition. I bet its fine ;)

garett
03-19-2005, 06:28 AM
thx ill ride it and see

chad502ex
03-19-2005, 07:16 AM
what are you two smoking besides your header where you think this condition is normal? whatever it is give me some,... heh!

370kingR
03-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Hmmm. That would be Hindu Kush :chinese:

Are you getting controversial with me Chad? Dont think for one iota i wont come down there and teach you a lesson boy :macho

Garret, i want you to absolutly post your results back on this topic when you get a couple rides on it. If im wrong then im wrong, but then again i did say it is possible a slow jet is out of wack. Coverd my tracks well with this one i thought. :p

chad502ex
03-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 370kingR
Hmmm. That would be Hindu Kush :chinese:

Are you getting controversial with me Chad? Dont think for one iota i wont come down there and teach you a lesson boy :macho

Garret, i want you to absolutly post your results back on this topic when you get a couple rides on it. If im wrong then im wrong, but then again i did say it is possible a slow jet is out of wack. Coverd my tracks well with this one i thought. :p

yea, com'on down boy so i can whip your arse, then we can go rid'n afterwards.... :D

370kingR
03-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Sounds good to me.

Chad, where would i go to have someone cut down the valve pockets on a piston? I have a situation where i already have a piston and my piston to valve clearance is an issue. Im sure this is a pretty tuff task for most machinists as you would probably need some kind of jig perhaps? Guide me brother...

chad502ex
03-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Sounds good to me.

Chad, where would i go to have someone cut down the valve pockets on a piston? I have a situation where i already have a piston and my piston to valve clearance is an issue. Im sure this is a pretty tuff task for most machinists as you would probably need some kind of jig perhaps? Guide me brother...

most machinist is able to do this if you tell them the specs to cut. Did you clay and know this is your issue? causer if you know the specs to cut any machinist can mill. But you could always send this piston to NMotions machinist to fly cut the pockets for ya. my machinist helps me out , but on my 530 custom oval JE piston NMotions machinist did the work instead of my machinist because NMotion set my valve guide height (or tops to guide) clearance and it was easiest. Since your head is NMotion just ship them the piston and have John help ya out.

370kingR
03-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Chad. Right now i am clay checking and i have 70 thou. on the money on both intake and exhaust. Im surprised it was the same on both but it is.

I was instructed that 70 thou. is minimum on the exhaust and 60 thou. on the intake. So thats ok but i am looking to shave the head. Im all set up to do it but if i want to go through with it im going to have to have that piston cut.

I just put in a lightened 13:1 piston but i still want to bring my compression up. With the head work it will not be 13:1. I was too low on compression to make real good power IMO. I also swaped out that web cam for the johnson cam. I want my final compression to land around 14:1. Im going to take current compression readings later today.

Thanks again.

chad502ex
03-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Chad. Right now i am clay checking and i have 70 thou. on the money on both intake and exhaust. Im surprised it was the same on both but it is.

I was instructed that 70 thou. is minimum on the exhaust and 60 thou. on the intake. So thats ok but i am looking to shave the head. Im all set up to do it but if i want to go through with it im going to have to have that piston cut.

I just put in a lightened 13:1 piston but i still want to bring my compression up. With the head work it will not be 13:1. I was too low on compression to make real good power IMO. I also swaped out that web cam for the johnson cam. I want my final compression to land around 14:1. Im going to take current compression readings later today.

Thanks again.

.070 is fine w/out head shaved. are you shaving just to increase compression? i would go with thinner base or thinner head gasket if possible before shaving, but i'm not sure how thick those two are on your setup? anyway good luck! hey did you ever get your -4oz flywheel back from trailtech? they re-did my +4oz flywheel free of charge and balanced too! they have excellent customer service department! i havn't installed the flywheel yet cause i wanted to see if it worked ok on Dynatek ignition..

you trying to hit that 60 mark, ain't you? LOL!! ;)

don't worry next saturday i'll get there on stock carb! :D

John at NMotion said that he has never seen any of his builds hit the 43ft/lbs of torque with that much hp to boot. guess that's what the stroker is all about.. :macho

twisted threads
03-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Could a bike being to rich cause the header to glow red?? I have a 50 pilot and the air screw out 2 1/2 turns and the pipe still seem to glow bright red when your on the gas or just come back from riding the 450r really hard. The bike runs awsome but im thinking that maybe it might be to rich and the fuel isnt burning off all the way. But if I didn't start it a night and ride it around you wouldn't even know that the header was red and once I stop and let it idle it will stop glowing.:cool:

chad502ex
03-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Could a bike being to rich cause the header to glow red?? I have a 50 pilot and the air screw out 2 1/2 turns and the pipe still seem to glow bright red when your on the gas or just come back from riding the 450r really hard. The bike runs awsome but im thinking that maybe it might be to rich and the fuel isnt burning off all the way. But if I didn't start it a night and ride it around you wouldn't even know that the header was red and once I stop and let it idle it will stop glowing.:cool:

red turns to blue when hot and lean

gold is perfect (temperature)

i'm speaking of stainless headers. coated headers will cook off coating if lean and provide no temperature indication when perfect or rich. Once on the 502, I had a coated header singe near exhaust ports and the odor was obnoxious when i ran hot and lean one day..

yamablaster24
03-20-2005, 06:30 AM
My 400ex motor was recently rebuilt and the header would glow red hot (HMF) at first but now it doesnt anymore. At first i thought it was lean but it runs awesome. And if your too rich the bike is going to be running colder.