PDA

View Full Version : kickstarting a hybrid with nerf bars and heel guards

YZ400EX
03-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Sorry I didnt really know where to post this, but I need some help..I am in the process of building a YZ400 hybrid out of my 400ex and I just got a set of AC Propegs with heelguards and see that the kicker will hit the heel guard..anyone know if this will be a problem with starting or any ideas on what people have done in this situation. let me know..Thanks

rollie
03-19-2005, 06:03 AM
i would just take off the part of the heel guard that goes up in the back on that side.....then it will kick fine

416exmx
03-19-2005, 07:51 AM
On one of my old CRF's, I cut 1/2 of the heelguard. You can kind of see here.

quadcustoms
03-19-2005, 08:39 AM
i always cut mine off

MXracer16
03-19-2005, 04:20 PM
What would happen if you got a shorter kickstarter? Would you not have enought leverage?

kicken250x
03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by MXracer16
What would happen if you got a shorter kickstarter? Would you not have enought leverage?

if it was a 2 stroke id go along with that, but not a big ol 4 stroke motor, even if they do have a compression release.

i still cant believe people are putting yamihaw engines in hondas.....oh well...what ever floats your boat i guess:o

YZ400EX
03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
if it was a 2 stroke id go along with that, but not a big ol 4 stroke motor, even if they do have a compression release.

i still cant believe people are putting yamihaw engines in hondas.....oh well...what ever floats your boat i guess:o

Yea the kickstarter could not be shortened because this thing is already a beast to kick over..As far as putting a Yami motor in a 400ex frame, I would have love to have the Honda motor to put in the quad because I LOVE Honda and would love to stay all Honda, but unfortunately I got a sweet deal on this Yami bike and it was something that couldnt be passed up..

YZ400EX
03-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Well if I didnt want to cut part of the heel guard off do you think this would cuase a problem with starting the bike?? Would it be better to just get rid of these propegs with heel guards and buy normal propegs?? I would hate cutting these nerfs..Thanks

ZSK
03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Is it possible to make it a front kicker?

YZ400EX
03-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Is it possible to make it a front kicker?

I really wish it was..I have been thinking about many things I could do to make it kick forward, but it would be entirely too much work and really wouldnt be worth it..It would be very easy if it had the slot inside the motor to place another gear in between the kicker gear and clutch basket, but there isnt so as far as I am concerned it aint gonna happen..just have to deal with a rear kick..

kicken250x
03-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
Yea the kickstarter could not be shortened because this thing is already a beast to kick over..As far as putting a Yami motor in a 400ex frame, I would have love to have the Honda motor to put in the quad because I LOVE Honda and would love to stay all Honda, but unfortunately I got a sweet deal on this Yami bike and it was something that couldnt be passed up..

cant argue with that. that makes more sense to me haha. if i got a killer deal on a yami motor i think id go with it too so...