PDA

View Full Version : Stroke or Bore??? or both

DUNEZRUNNER
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I know this has been asked millions of times and I have searched it for hours and am still undecided. I ride 75% dunes and 25% desert. I like to race at the hills but I dune mostly. I was going to order me a 440 kit for my 400ex off of ebay and do it all myself. I was going to get the high compression kit. But now I dont know if it would be better to go with a 416 and then stroke it to a 400. I know a while back that was the popular thing to do but it seems like that has faded. If I go that way who would you recommend me get the parts from? If just a bore is recommended is the ebay kit a good one or should I look elsewhere? I have the skills to do all of the labor myself so I just want the kit if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Thomas

2muchquad
03-18-2005, 05:21 PM
you'll be happy with one the 440 bore kits.its cheaper than a stroker plus they are reliable as well.a buddy of mine races a 440 in the gncc's and he craves about the low end torque.try a cam for more mid to top for the desert you like to ride in and you should be good to go.:)

DUNEZRUNNER
03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I already have the HOTCAMS stage 2 came in my bike. But other than that and a Yoshi slip-on the engine is all stock.

Thomas

RAPTORAZ
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
How much are you looking to spend?

F-16Guy
03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
If you like to race up the dunes, a stroker will help a lot. Torque makes a huge difference when climbing hills. A stroker will be reliable as long as you have someone good do it. I had Powroll install a carillo rod in my 416. They welded the pin and, as far as I can tell, it feels perfectly true. Don't order one of those crappy e-Bay kits. There's more to building and engine than just slapping a new piston and sleeve in it. There are more than enough resources online to find out what really should be done to make the engine run strong. If you spend $300 and just throw it together, I promise you you'll be disappointed. If you can't do it yourself, it's worth the money to have a professional do it.

cals400ex
03-19-2005, 11:28 PM
i have talked to very few people who ran strokers when dragging and liked them. the woods riders tend to love them and also some of the large strokers (502's) people tend to like for dragging. i have talked to several people with 416's and 426's that had them stroked and said their bikes were actually faster (drag racing) when they just had the 416 and 426 bores. now, they said for low end power and woods racing, the strokers were superior but for drag racing don't waste the money. i actually was ready to send my motor to laz at gt thunder for one of his strokers and he came out honestly and said don't do it until you drive one because there is a good chance it won't suit my riding style (drag racing mainly). it was nice of him to say that i thought. good luck

ghak99
03-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have talked to very few people who ran strokers when dragging and liked them. the woods riders tend to love them and also some of the large strokers (502's) people tend to like for dragging. i have talked to several people with 416's and 426's that had them stroked and said their bikes were actually faster (drag racing) when they just had the 416 and 426 bores. now, they said for low end power and woods racing, the strokers were superior but for drag racing don't waste the money. i actually was ready to send my motor to laz at gt thunder for one of his strokers and he came out honestly and said don't do it until you drive one because there is a good chance it won't suit my riding style (drag racing mainly). it was nice of him to say that i thought. good luck

Could not have said it much better. A stroker motor only suits certain people and riding styles. I personally love stroked motors, they just seem to fit my style on the mx track and trails, but I do not drag race.

F-16Guy
03-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ghak99
Could not have said it much better. A stroker motor only suits certain people and riding styles. I personally love stroked motors, they just seem to fit my style on the mx track and trails, but I do not drag race.
True. You have to ride it like a four stroke. Not many people can do that.