PDA

View Full Version : Im stumped

oriclez
03-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Well I replaced my starter on my quad over the weekend, due to my old one blowing. Before this, my starter had a hard time turning it over with its battery, and it would rarley start with that battery. So I installed a new starter yesterday, and hooked up a battery box to it. The starter just free spun, but came in contact with the gears. I opened the case to see if my one way clutch was bad, but it still has all its teeth. Close it back up and try it again. Same thing. Its like the one-way clutch isn't disengaging. Anyone know what is wrong.

Dalex
03-18-2005, 01:06 PM
double check where you put the spacer on the shaft, you may have put it in the wrong place. Correct me if I'm wrong but the gear should go on, then the spacer should go on, so when you put the side cover back on the starter housing the spacer will be against the outside cover. look at this diagram in at the link below. look for "STARTER GEAR" on the left

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

dirtmomma
03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Mind did the SAME thing, it's your one way bearing more than likely :) we just bought the gears w/the bearing in there used, slapped in it a couple weeks ago along w/ a new battery & she fired RGIHT UP!!! Nothin worse than a chitty starter :grr: I put up w/ that for the last 6 months VERY frustrating!! I would get the one way bearing & go from there! good luck!!

oriclez
03-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Mind did the SAME thing, it's your one way bearing more than likely :) we just bought the gears w/the bearing in there used, slapped in it a couple weeks ago along w/ a new battery & she fired RGIHT UP!!! Nothin worse than a chitty starter :grr: I put up w/ that for the last 6 months VERY frustrating!! I would get the one way bearing & go from there! good luck!!

Thats what I was thinking it was. I just didn't want to go and buy a bunch of useless parts. Ill check it tonight.

oriclez
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Can you get me a part number or a site you ordered yours off of? My local honda dealership is retards. The guy didn't know what it was until I explained it to him than he quoted me $165 for that part.

dirtmomma
03-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by oriclez
Can you get me a part number or a site you ordered yours off of? My local honda dealership is retards. The guy didn't know what it was until I explained it to him than he quoted me $165 for that part.

:eek2: :eek2: dayummm thats alot of $$!!

Here's a link to the service honda site pg. it's on 300ex left side cover (http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx300ex_93_02/trx300ex%20frames%20page.htm)

the part # for the bearing is 96100-60000-00 price $4.65 :)

LMK if ya need anything else!!

oriclez
03-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Wonder if he was thinking of the one way clutch, not the bearing. Ill order it right now. Maybe ill overnight the part.

BTW: Thanks for your help, ordering it right now.

oriclez
03-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Another quick question. To lazy to yank the case open right now, also to cold out. Don't want to have to pull the case off unless I have to so my question to you has anyone ever sheared their keyway(woodroy key), and have this same reaction? Just spin and spin without turning the engine over at all? I saw some metal shaving it looked like, so im curious. My guess is I need a new keyway.