PDA

View Full Version : stock rear shock setup

zlam27
03-17-2005, 06:42 PM
i need some help dialing in my rear shock. its just for mild/agressive trail riding (400ex). i just got some good used works and i can really tell how harsh the rear shock is now:eek:

i weigh about 145, anyone approximately this weight and riding style? how do you have your shock set up? i know its all personal preferance but i need a good starting point. also, what should i be looking for when trying to decide how to adjust my shock?

right now it seems to "buck back" too much when my rear end hits trail obstacles. should i slow down the rebound? other ideas?

thanks guys,
zach

cdalejef
03-21-2005, 08:37 AM
The best thing todo is go with a lighter spring. If thats not an option then soften the compression adjustment. Yes, slow down the rebound to stop the kicking.

zlam27
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
would adjusting the preload have any effect? i heard that your rear shock should sag like 1/3 of its travel or somethin when you sit on your bike. i think im too light to get the right amount of sag.

where would i look for a lighter spring and how much do they generally run? anything else i should know?

BTW: thanks jeff for the reply.

zach

2000400EX
03-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Does anyone know what weight/type of rider a stock rear 400ex shock is setup for?

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by zlam27
would adjusting the preload have any effect? i heard that your rear shock should sag like 1/3 of its travel or somethin when you sit on your bike. i think im too light to get the right amount of sag.

where would i look for a lighter spring and how much do they generally run? anything else i should know?

BTW: thanks jeff for the reply.

zach Backing off the preload will help some but you are still too light of that spring. You can get them from any suspension service shop or dealer.

The stock shock is set for around 180 to 200 lb trail riding.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-23-2005, 09:29 AM
When used for trail riding the rear spring on the 400ex is optimum for a 185lbs you need a 5.4 main spring for the rear. Backing off the preload does not change the final spring rate.

2000400EX
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
So if the spring is optimum for a 185 lb rider, what would a 200 lb rider (me) need for a spring? Or is the stock one sufficient? How about the stock valving setup, should be changed or is it sufficient? I've never really messed with the suspension setup on my quad before, but it's something I want to get into now so I can make the machine handle better without spending tons of money on aftermarket shocks. Thanks for the replies so far everyone! This is a interesting thread!:p

eagertorace
03-23-2005, 10:44 AM
sent that shock to gt thunder, call laz and tell him what you need done. It's alot cheaper than buying an aftermarket shock, also get their linkage, works good.

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 2000400EX
So if the spring is optimum for a 185 lb rider, what would a 200 lb rider (me) need for a spring? Or is the stock one sufficient? How about the stock valving setup, should be changed or is it sufficient? I've never really messed with the suspension setup on my quad before, but it's something I want to get into now so I can make the machine handle better without spending tons of money on aftermarket shocks. Thanks for the replies so far everyone! This is a interesting thread!:p Like I said in the other post, that shock is set for a range of riders from 180 lbs to 200 lbs trail riding. Stock valving will be fine unless you do alot of big jumps.

zlam27
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
ok, with a new rear spring will the valving still be ok?

what linkage does GT-Thunder sell and what are the benefits of it?

anyone have any recommendations for places to get my front works triple rates rebuilt? they are valved for a 175lb rider and they probably just need to be serviced anyway. rico sounds like he does a great job, but its pretty costly.

zach

cdalejef
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Yes, it would be best to get it revalved when going with a lighter spring. The linkage works good but I like the SSD conversion better.
LOL......Rico work on shocks......thats the funniest thing I've heard all day!!! :p

zlam27
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
well maybe rico doesnt work on shocks, haha, but i hear that "his people" do a pretty decent job.

why does suspension and all the related components and service have to cost so darn much.

i think in the long run, its cheaper to just buy shocks new that a properly set up for your specific needs. it sure beats buying used, revalving and respringing, and upgrading later.

zach

XCRACER26
03-24-2005, 05:09 PM
I used to have a 400ex and i put a works ultracross rear shock on it. Well i bought a 450r and just put the works on and I want to know how too lower the ride . its too high right now.I dont know $hit about suspension.Jeff u seem know alot.