PDA

View Full Version : Installing new aftermarket bearing carrier, have some questions.

nikejoe
03-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Okay, I am installing an LSR bearing carrier in my 400ex. I have the old one out and started to put this one in but wanted some questions answered first. I did a searcha and didn't find my answers, so here they are.

This carrier has a grease fitting in the center. Am I going to have to take my axle out to grease it each time or can I drill a hole in the swingarm or what???

Also the stock carrier has a few rubber o-rings, this carrier has none that I see. I can't see where they would go anyway. So am I right that you don't need them on the aftermarket carrier???

Thanks for any help, I just figured it would be easier to find out now than after it was back together.

T.Hopp
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
The stock carrier has o-rings in several places which would seem to be sealed well. Not the case in my experience though! It is common for water to drip out of the swingarm while adjusting the chain. Water still gets in. Manufacturers of aftermarket carriers may skip the use of o-rings because water will still penetrate and for cost effectivness. I could be wrong on this. As for drilling a hole to access the grease zerk. Why not? Drill and tap or find a rubber grommet type plug to help seal the hole. Apply a heavy grease to the outside of the carrier to help repel water and to make chain adjustment easier.

TM426
03-17-2005, 06:32 PM
I didnt put the O-rings back in. You dont have pull the axle out every time you want to grease the bearings. You can just slide the carrier out on the axle when you want to grease them. I never thought of drilling a hole in the swinger, but I wouldnt suggest it though.

wheeltrax
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
id shoot grease in there before you put it in. Technically the grease wouldnt make that big of a difference because the bearings that are in there are sealed bearings anyway, meaning they are pre greased and sealed. the grease isnt going to hurt anything either.

the Z Man
03-17-2005, 07:50 PM
My aftermarket one has a grease fitting on the outside chain adjuster, very easy to get to, try one of those..

400exrider707
03-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
id shoot grease in there before you put it in. Technically the grease wouldnt make that big of a difference because the bearings that are in there are sealed bearings anyway, meaning they are pre greased and sealed. the grease isnt going to hurt anything either.

I think they mean the grease on the outside of the carrier to help rotate it for tightening or loosening the chain.

JOEX
03-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I think they mean the grease on the outside of the carrier to help rotate it for tightening or loosening the chain.
If you grease the outer part of the carrier it will have a higher likelyhood of slipping. Not a good thing;)

Fill up the carrier with grease, spray the inside of the swing arm with WD-40, put it back together and be done with it.:) You shouldn't need to re-grease the bearings.

nikejoe
03-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I will put it back together tonight. I just wanted some opinions before I put it together and then had to take it right back apart! Thanks Again!:D

2000400EX
03-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Not to steal your thread but, the chain adjuster on my 400ex turns really hard...is it time for a new bearing carrier or can I do something to try and loosen it up? Also the quad still has the stock rear axle bearings/carrier and it's a 2000, how often should these be replaced? Thanks.

nikejoe
03-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Well just to let you know mine is an 01, and it has went through 2 sets of bearings and now I'm changing the carrier and the bearings. So just guessing, I would think it could be the bearings. You can tell when the go because the whole rearend will get real sloppy. The last time I put new bearings in I need a new carrier but didn't do it, so that set didn't last long. When you get it apart you will be able to see how worn the carrier is. It may have grooves and pieces of it cracked and the bearings will probably be in peices, they are not fun to get out. But they will come out with the proper motivation. Some have recomended putting the carrier in the oven to get the trached bearings out. I think they said 350deg, but not sure for how long. It's in some other threads on here. If you get it taken apart, make sure you clean out the bottom end of your swinger, there willbe disrt and crusted up crap in there. get it all clean before puttin it back together. Good luck!!!

shamisc
03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Greasing the outside of the carrier is a big NO-NO!! You'll be tightening your chain every couple of hours! Just clean everything up good before putting it all back together. The purpose of the grease fitting is to grease the center tube in the carrier. You can drill a hole in the bottom of the swing arm. I know alot of people who do that. Someone earlier had a good idea about tapping the hole and installing some sort of threaded plug.;)

JOEX
03-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 2000400EX
Not to steal your thread but, the chain adjuster on my 400ex turns really hard...is it time for a new bearing carrier or can I do something to try and loosen it up? Also the quad still has the stock rear axle bearings/carrier and it's a 2000, how often should these be replaced? Thanks.
There's probably just be some dirt and crud between the carrier and the swingarm. Take the carrier out and clean it up as well as the inside of the swingarm.

Check the bearings though;)