PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out - gas filter ?

Blysster
05-08-2002, 07:45 PM
while riding tonight the 400 started cutting out when I give it more then half throttle.

We immediately thought it was the spark plug so we changed it and it's still doing the same thing.. it's not the jetting either. My next guess is the gas filter!? any other ideas? It runs fine when I stay under half throttle.

OK, here's the question.. where is the gas filter and how hard is it to get to? I never really looked for it since I never had to before and it was dark when I got home.

Any help would be appreciated.

05-08-2002, 07:49 PM
the filter is attached to the fuel petcock, inside the tank. Take the 2 8 mm bolts off the fuel valve and you'll be at it .. make sure to drain tank first

DEAL
05-08-2002, 08:08 PM
I've had this problem before , it turned out that my main jet had fallen out.

flaneledholes
05-08-2002, 09:32 PM
It probably isnt this but anyway check to see if your choke is turned on. Just a suggestion cuz with the choke on it gives the same symptoms

Wired
05-08-2002, 10:18 PM
same thing happend to me 2 days ago. if you have the tools to take all the plastic off and unscrew the top plate on top of the carb. look in there and see if your 2 screws that hold the slide and needle in place backed out. this happed to me and i would have never thought of it happening, freak thing i guess, but since it sounds damnear the same thing that happend to me that would be the first thing i would check. plus its so easy to fix and get to. should only take you 30 mins tops! good luck

BornOnFire
05-09-2002, 06:30 AM
I would have to agree with Wiredcinqmars. The same thing happened to me! Remove that plate and have a look!

Good luck!

:devil

05-09-2002, 06:33 AM
I don't think it's the filter either,,you gonna have to do some carb repair 101 on that sucka.

Blysster
05-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Well I took the 400 out again tonight as and it was still doing the same thing.. of course.

I took the gas tank and the carb off, checked all my wirering, took the carb all apart and didn't find anything wrong anywhere. I then put everything back together, started it up and it runs like new again!?

I'm glad the problem is fixed but I would like to have know what was wrong.. it was probably just some dirt that got in the carb somehow... i'm confused :confused:

Anyway thanks all for you help,

Later,
PGAG

RED121572
05-10-2002, 07:01 PM
A gas filter?? When I read that, I almost wet my pants I was laughing so hard. Turns out there is an actual filter in the tank of a 400EX??

......learn something everyday. LOL:D

deansfastway
05-14-2002, 10:20 AM
ITS REAL EASY TO REMOVE THE FLOAT BOWL JET PLUG/DRAIN ACESS COVER JUST TAKE A 17 mm AND UNSCREW IT ALOT OF GUYS DO THIS BEFORE RACES TO BE SURE THE CARB IS CLEAN IT IT THE LOWEST POINT IN CARB AND THATS WHERE SEDIMENT ACCUMULATES ALSO IF THERE IS ANY WATER UN CARB THATS WHERE YOULL FIND IT EVEN REAL SMALL DROPLETS OF WATER WILL MAKE YOUR EX RUN FUNKE EAPESCIALLY ON TOP END CAUSE THIS IS WHERE THE MAINJET PULLS FROM. FASTWAY MOTORSPORTS

VegasEx'r
05-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by WiredCinqmars
same thing happend to me 2 days ago. if you have the tools to take all the plastic off and unscrew the top plate on top of the carb. look in there and see if your 2 screws that hold the slide and needle in place backed out. this happed to me and i would have never thought of it happening, freak thing i guess, but since it sounds damnear the same thing that happend to me that would be the first thing i would check. plus its so easy to fix and get to. should only take you 30 mins tops! good luck

The same thing has happened to me. I put it back together & used blue Loctite on the screws. It hasn't happened since.

Hey, Blysster, have you checked to make sure the air filter is clean? I have had that problem before, too. Also make sure the air boot (between the filter & carb) is on tight.

Blysster
05-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r

Hey, Blysster, have you checked to make sure the air filter is clean? I have had that problem before, too. Also make sure the air boot (between the filter & carb) is on tight.

Yeah the air boot was tight and the air filter was a little bit dirty but nothing terrible. I still don't have a clue what caused it!? Oh well, the 400 has been running fine since! I should stop worrying about it.

05-15-2002, 06:21 PM
mine did it a week ago.....

turns out i had a bug in my main jet.....dont know how the ****
i did that..runs good now tho