PDA

View Full Version : steering stabilizer = arm pump?!?!

balls2da-wall
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I bought a PEP steering stablizier for XC racing since i have plus one a-arms...Ive been practicing lately and it seems to hinder more than actually help. I have hiper rims with 4-1 offset so do I really need the steering stablizer? It seems to cause more arm pump then actually help it!

anyone else have troubles turning fast with a stabilizer?

ZSK
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I didn't think that I needed the stabilizer either until I rode without it. I'm not sure if the Denton/SRP/Muscle/Gibson (all the same design) work better than the PEP but I notice a significant difference in rough terrain. The stabilizer helps in almost every aspect of suspension control. You'll think I'm crazy but it even helps a little in the tracking of the rear end in whoops. Run without it hard, and then put it back on and see if the difference is enough for you.;)

03-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
I bought a PEP steering stablizier for XC racing since i have plus one a-arms...Ive been practicing lately and it seems to hinder more than actually help. I have hiper rims with 4-1 offset so do I really need the steering stablizer? It seems to cause more arm pump then actually help it!

anyone else have troubles turning fast with a stabilizer?

it helps a lot, just practice with it, you will get used to it, it never caused arm pump for me, helped me have more control of my bike, especially in high speed bumps and lots of rocks :macho

ex kid
03-18-2005, 10:00 PM
move the adjuster to the easiest position. it will help.

tdsongster
03-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I have a Scotts dampner and I move it to the easiest position for riding tight trails. If it is in the hardest position it takes a lot more effort to steer. I had C&D install fassst bars on my quad and they don't have the adapter for the dampner yet so I am riding without it. Not much difference until you bump a tree with the front tire. Hurts the wrist a lot, with the Scotts, that won't happen. I don't think they do a lot when riding, but when you tag something, you will be real glad that you have it! !!

Just my opinion...

balls2da-wall
03-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I know it helps with bumpsteer but man-o-man when i get in the tight trails and try zigging and zagging through trees it feels like i have 20lb. weights strapped to each wheel as compared to another quad without it!:D

And it's a PEP stabilizer set on the middle setting...im thinking about taking it off and looking for a new type such as the W.E.R one! I NEED MORE SETTINGS:D:p

and it also says that it doesnt affect steering when you turn and correct it.

K_Fulk
03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
The wer stabilizers are valved way better then any stick type dampner ive used.

You just gotta ride a quad with one to tell the diffrence.

tdsongster
03-19-2005, 02:26 PM
My Scott's dampner mounts on my handlebars. Was a bit pricey though, I think I paid like $450 for it.

400grl
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
I have my PEP set on the easiest setting - if I run it on the hardest setting, it will give me arm pump. On the soft setting, it's just perfect.

jacobw
03-21-2005, 03:41 PM
try the softer setting I run my pep damper on medium its just right for me it seems stiff to begin with then I rode and raced it and it helped alot and didnt even notice it was on the bike I have rode without dampers and its scarrry. The pep is a good damper just adjust it to your liking. the rotary dampers are more expensive and you wont notice much of a difference between the 2 style dampers they just offer more adjustability(more fine tuning) that the bottle dampers.

balls2da-wall
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I put the PEP on the lowest setting...seems to work better...I will know for sure come the first race:D

deathman53
03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
when I put on a steering stabizer on my trx250r it changed the way I rode the bike. I tended to kick the rear end out and not turn the bars too much and I rode it more like a 3 wheeler than a quad. It helped alot in rough terrain and greatly reduced rider fatigue. my quad has one now and I rode a yfz with out one and what a difference, the steering stailzer becomes an item you can't ride without. Now I wish I could get one for my atc250r trike.

nacs400ex
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
when I put on a steering stabizer on my trx250r it changed the way I rode the bike. I tended to kick the rear end out and not turn the bars too much and I rode it more like a 3 wheeler than a quad. It helped alot in rough terrain and greatly reduced rider fatigue. my quad has one now and I rode a yfz with out one and what a difference, the steering stailzer becomes an item you can't ride without. Now I wish I could get one for my atc250r trike.

Is it possible to use dirtbike style dampners on atc's ?