PDA

View Full Version : inverted front rims

BARRY
05-08-2002, 07:20 PM
what does this mean?

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Flipping the front rim to get the +2 effect!

BARRY
05-16-2002, 09:24 PM
this idea sucks and it will not work

ChadEXer
05-17-2002, 07:23 AM
It will work. You have to flip your valve stems inside out and drill a hole in the other side of the rim and put a new valve stem in it! I had mine like that for a while!!

beerock
05-17-2002, 07:37 AM
ya well it is not a good idea chad, you will bend tie rods easy and put alot of pressure on the spindles which may cause them to fail.

if you want a wider bike just get wider a-arms

otherwise youll break stuff

yellow_ho_01
05-17-2002, 09:42 AM
i just had to turn mine back the stock way... on the wheel where the lugs go through are steel washer/spacers,.. they can only go in one way, these distribute the pressure over the aluminum wheel more,... when you turn the wheels around, inverted, the only thing that holds the wheel to the hub is the lug nut,.. (i know, thats all that normally does..) but now that washer/spacer is not holding the wheel. After about 3weeks of riding the steel nut wore into the wheel and was almost ready to fall off,, this can be fixed by just adding a washer to it,.. now you will not damagwe the wheel, or yourself.. hope this makes sence,..

ChadEXer
05-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Yes that makes sence!! mine started wearing that way and i had to use some washers! other than that I ran them like that for quite a while with some good jumps and all and never had any problems!

SANDTRAX361
05-19-2002, 10:48 PM
i know it works ive seen it done and i have seen no long term effects. i know it works with aftermarket wheels cause they dont use the steelgromet type things. but just buy them offset and you dont have to worry about it. it does put stress on the spindles but the 400ex spindles are very string and bending a tie rod is alot cheaper than breaking a spindle. just do the valve stem thing at it works

airheadedduner
06-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Flipping your wheels around can't do that much damage, most aftermarket wheels are offset. On an R you just have to remove the disc guard instead of moving the valve stem.