PDA

View Full Version : New 450r owner here got some Q's

Bling
03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey fella's. Just bought an 05 450r a week ago. Picked it up used from a local dealer. It's got a Dr.D slip on, filter, and I'm assuming a jet kit to go with those 2. First question is on cold start ups. Even with the choke on it's takes a s**tload of kicks to fire it. I understand it taking a little longer, but 20+ kicks seems out of line. Is this a normal condition on modded bikes? It seems like it actually starts better cold when using the Hot Start...maybe it's in my head though. Second was the rattle @ idle, but reading a bit on here I found that it's normal. Another thing was valve adjustment. Again reading on here I've seen from 10hrs to 40hrs and up. Thinking I should just check them anyways since I don't have a clue on the actual hours on the bike right now.

Aside from a few little bugs the bike had, this thing is an animal!. I'm coming from the world of 10 second 5.0 Mustangs, so I'm used to going fast, but this is on another level. I'm not sure I ever saw full throttle in a full day of riding and still got a few scares. 2nd and 3rd gear are ridiculous. Thanks for any input.

-Mike

xsr_racing28c
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
hey congrats on your purchase, i have found that when starting in cold weather, i push the thumb throttle in about 3 times all the way before starting and then choke it and kick it... it seems to start in about 2-3 kicks.. but don't hold the throttle open or blip the throttle while kicking unless you want a broken ankle..lol... as for the shaky idle, you can adjust the idle with the little idle knob thingy, and with mine i put the idle up a little bit and the shakes stop... hope this info helps ya a bit...thanks , jason

Jennys440'Dale
03-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
hey congrats on your purchase, i have found that when starting in cold weather, i push the thumb throttle in about 3 times all the way before starting and then choke it and kick it... it seems to start in about 2-3 kicks.. but don't hold the throttle open or blip the throttle while kicking unless you want a broken ankle..lol... as for the shaky idle, you can adjust the idle with the little idle knob thingy, and with mine i put the idle up a little bit and the shakes stop... hope this info helps ya a bit...thanks , jason

Exactly what he said ^ . I usually blip the throttle 2 times and choke it when cold. Kick it and you are good to go!!! Awesome quad!

Bling
03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
HaHa, I found out the hard way already about holding the throttle open while kicking.......leg is still a bit sore:( I'll try your suggestions and see if it helps. I only get to ride on Sundays so I'm waiting rather impatiently..:D

turboTony
03-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Bling
HaHa, I found out the hard way already about holding the throttle open while kicking.......leg is still a bit sore:(
A sore leg could be the least of your problems. Quite a few people learned the hard way and ended up with a cracked case.:eek:

Bling
03-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by turboTony
A sore leg could be the least of your problems. Quite a few people learned the hard way and ended up with a cracked case.:eek: Point noted. Guess I got off lucky that time. Definately won't happen again.....I hope:(

Bary McCockalot
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I cold weather i usaually blip the throttle once then when i kick it i give it just a little bit of gas. Always starts up 1st kick.

turboTony
03-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Bary McCockalot
I cold weather i usaually blip the throttle once

yes.

Originally posted by Bary McCockalot
when i kick it i give it just a little bit of gas.

no.

PADZZ
03-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I can't add much to what's been said, but I just give it a couple 1/4 throttle pumps and it starts 1st kick nearly EVERY time. I kick it down about half way, let it ALMOST come to the top, and then give it a nice kcik down and it fires.
Good luck!!

nat3060
03-17-2005, 06:59 PM
so whenever someone tries to start my bike i tell them not to push in the gas.. and they always ask why, and i say because ive read on the sites not to because it will break the case/your leg

and they always again ask why

so could you tell me exactly what happens when u do kick and give it gas

BSTURDIVANT
03-18-2005, 07:36 AM
The advance curve that is built into the cdi makes it blurp and run backward when it is kicked with any throttle! The more the throttle, the worse the kick back! It will sometimes kick back without throttle-just ask Pappy!

Grizzly450R
03-18-2005, 10:58 AM
If the motor is cold it takes a few kicks but i jus just choke and dont hold in the hot start. Now say if you kill the bike while riding dont choke but juss hold in the hot start which for my bike it takes a few kicks if i kill it. I hope that helped out a little.

03-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by nat3060
so whenever someone tries to start my bike i tell them not to push in the gas.. and they always ask why, and i say because ive read on the sites not to because it will break the case/your leg

it could also cause excessive lift...as in you flying 5 foot in the air :macho you should try it some time lol:p

Rogers_Dad
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
The risks of kick starters.
In 1974 my soon to be father(mom was pregnant with me, 8 monthes) was starting his 1972 Harley Sportster. It was giving him a hard time and after 5+ minutes of kicking he started to get tired and the worst thing that could happen did. He didn't push it all the way through when he was almost all the way through the compression stroke. Needless to say my very pregnant Mom had to drag him(literally to the car) to the hospital. To this day his ankle looks like someone stiched a softball into it. Lesson here: kick hard and use NO throttle.