PDA

View Full Version : air intake

EricB
05-08-2002, 07:00 PM
ok just sitting here looking at the air scoops for what seems to be mainly for the oil cooler...has anyone ever tried to make a sort of ram air induction air box? i was thinking about trying it, but the thing about it is i ride in a lot of dust/mud/water situations so it wouldn't be good for me. provided with the right tools and materials i think i could have a good idea, a sort of a scoop on the bottom of the air box. possibly letting in a considerably larger ammount of air. only reason why i'm asking if this would be good is because i thought it was a pretty good idea but have never heard of it. so i was wondering if this was a bad idea. i know of course your going to have to rejet for sure because there would be a LOT more air going into the air box. i'll try to fab something up tonight or draw a picture and post it. but what i'm basicly thinking is just a scoop maybe about 1 inch or so right on the bottom below the air filter. that would change the intake from sucking the air from a restricted box, one with out vents or outerwears. i know some people just basicly run a filter on the carb, i think that with this sort of intake it would be even better and less restrictive. also has anyone ever tried to make a sort of ducting system to run to the front of the machine that runs to the air box, same sort of idea but instead of having just the scoop on the front of the air box. have a tube thats a few inches wide that runs somewhere to the front of the bike. well anyhow it's quitin' time so give me your critisim.

frogburner
05-08-2002, 08:49 PM
A ram air thing might work, but your filter is only going to let as much air go thru it as it can flow. And besides that, the more it does get the leaner and hotter your bike will get, because of lack of fuel. Unlike a fuel injected truck, if you have ram air, the more air it gets, the more fuel the chip is going to let the motor have... Your best bet, if you want the most airflow would be to put in a K&N, and pre-charger, and take off the airbox lid... be sure to re-jet it though if you do that...

Remember, the more air you can get in and out of the motor, the more power you will make..( with adequate fuel to the motor)

05-08-2002, 10:06 PM
That would work great, as long as you re-jet the carb. They only other thing I would suggest....cold air makes horsepower. With the scoop right behind the motor it might, and I say might, take on more hot air than cold. This wouldn't do much for you. For it to work it would have to have cold air. Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

EricB
05-08-2002, 10:35 PM
yea thats kinda what is was just thinking, air box right behind head.. so i think the scoop up front would be awsome. i think to really take adavangate of it you would need a higher flow carb.

btw whats the k&n precharger?

Hoe300ex
05-10-2002, 08:06 AM
a k&n precharger is just a dust bag tht slips over an air filter to filter out tiny dust particles w/out restricting much airflow. they also make one for the air box lid

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 10:53 AM
You can almost see the Outerwears prefilter in this pic!!

Red Rooster
05-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Chris, your camera is the hugest load of *****. lol

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 02:19 PM
You mean Chad!!! i know it is:D

Red Rooster
05-10-2002, 08:00 PM
yeah sorry chad

yellowrider
05-10-2002, 08:44 PM
my buddy thought of the same thing it was ugly though !!!

it was behind the air box and went up towards the plastic and then he curved it over the top of the back plastic ..

all the things that went wrong with that idea
he couldnt get it to stay the first to or three tries of idea it kept blowing off ..

he couldnt get it to run perfect

but he said that it would do better in the higher gears than it did the lower

Smoker
05-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Take out your head lights, put a screen there and run a piece of durable flexible tubing back to the snorkel hole on the airbox. Your head light plastic would act like a scoop (the carbon fiber hood w/ the scoop would work too). Just run a prefilter at the front of the tube and on your airfilter. If this is what your pushing at.:p

RideRed04
05-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah, order up some of leo's headlight covers. Cut a big sponge down to size for a pre-filter. Run some flexable tubing up there, and you are money.

flaneledholes
05-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Could there be a set up for a 300????????????

Zero Z400
05-11-2002, 02:38 PM
I always thought that a Carbon fiber hood would work best. Cuz if u ran the piping or whatver u use it wouls be infront of the quad. And if it was in front water would have to be splashed in front of you in order for it to get in. I always wondered why no one has done this... The headlight would be good to. Especially of u combined them, that would be some major airflow.

Later

MichaelS693
05-11-2002, 08:15 PM
wouldnt it be tight if someone came up with a way for cold air intake i mean it would be hard as he!! for it to be made but it would be sweet

EricB
05-12-2002, 02:47 AM
honestly i think that it could be done with the headlights. i wouldn't do it just because i do a lot of night riding. other than that i don't see how it couldn't work.