PDA

View Full Version : should i remove sprks key?

EXDUNER127
03-17-2005, 09:13 AM
i just went from stock to a 426 motor, should i remove my sparks advance key now or will i still be ok? i heard the bike may get to hot or something....

khen
03-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on this one.. I'm curious, did you go with a thinner base and/or head gasket? The reason I ask is that my timing marks on the cam were slightly of(retarded) with the thinner gaskets when my flywheel was on the TDC mark. I expected that this would be the case but I'm curious if your's were closer to being lined up with your advance key in. If so I would think that the key would be better left in to compensate for the thinner gaskets. Of course if you're running an aftermarket CDI you should still be advanced by a certain degree.. :confused:

drewdawg88t
03-17-2005, 10:49 AM
i think i read on sparks website a while back that they dont recommend using the key with a bigger than stock bore...it's on there if you want to read it,probably should remove it i guess.

EXDUNER127
03-17-2005, 10:51 AM
i am in the process of puting my motor back together, and yes i bought the gasket for my overbore. what would happen if you just leave it in?

khen
03-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by EXDUNER127
i am in the process of puting my motor back together, and yes i bought the gasket for my overbore. what would happen if you just leave it in? The common concern is that you would have overheating problems.. If it were me I would just leave it in and see if there is an issue with overheating. I've considered buying one to compensate for the thinner head/base gasket myself. I know there are people on here that run it on modified motors, perhaps one of them will chime in.

UglyMotha™
03-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I ran one in the 416 without any probs she ran hot on pump gas with 11:1 compression so I used race fuel, and I plan on running it in my stroker :o

MIKE400EX
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Khen,
The Sparks (advance) timing key does not change the crank to cam timing. So it in turn would not correct the retarded cam timing due to the thinner gaskets. With the advance key, if you line up the TDC mark on the flywheel with the left edge of the sight hole, it'll just about be right on true TDC so you can check the cam. Conversly with the key, if you line up the flywheel and the sight hole mark, the cam will be an extra 3 degrees retarded.

EXDUNER127
03-17-2005, 02:22 PM
you just made me feel retarded trying to understand what you were just saying,:huh lol...i havent truly understood all that tdc yet, my bro-inlaw helps me out?

MIKE400EX
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
I think what Khen was asking was: Would the sparks advance timing key make-up for the retarded cam timing caused by thinner head & base gaskets.
In a very confusing answer I meant to say:No, the key affects the IGNITION timing, whereas the thinner gaskets affect the CAM timing - which are 2 different things. Although both connected to the crank.
Sorry for the cornfusion!:confused:

EXDUNER127
03-17-2005, 02:47 PM
so its ok to leave the advance key in there?

MIKE400EX
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
As long as it doesn't get overly hot and you don't get any detonation it won't hurt any. Actually it will probably feel like more of a gain than on a stock motor.

khen
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
I think what Khen was asking was: Would the sparks advance timing key make-up for the retarded cam timing caused by thinner head & base gaskets.
In a very confusing answer I meant to say:No, the key affects the IGNITION timing, whereas the thinner gaskets affect the CAM timing - which are 2 different things. Although both connected to the crank.
Sorry for the cornfusion!:confused: Oop's you're right.. I've confused the cam timing with ignition timing again. Might have to get me one of gt thunders slotted cam sprockets to get my cam timing correct..

MIKE400EX
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Khen, you have a PM!