PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Upgrade opinions

300exDust
03-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I've been looking into the Sparks X4 exhaust. Thinking about ordering it next week but I want to get a few opinions b4 I dump 400 bux into the exhaust.

So, if anyone has any favorites and why, post em up I'm looking for some ideas. Also, if you could post why they're youre favorites and why they're better than Sparks. In your own opinion or facts of course.

300exOH
03-17-2005, 08:32 AM
I have an X-4 on my 300ex. The power is awesome. I got the spark arrestor/disk setup instead of the race series since I ride trails. The spark arrestor made it quieter than the race version but it is still somewhat loud. I recommend looking into the HMF slip on. Power gains are similar at almost half the price and I think they are a little quieter especially with the quiet core.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I have an X-4 on my 300ex. The power is awesome. I got the spark arrestor/disk setup instead of the race series since I ride trails. The spark arrestor made it quieter than the race version but it is still somewhat loud. I recommend looking into the HMF slip on. Power gains are similar at almost half the price and I think they are a little quieter especially with the quiet core.

Ok, HMF slip on... I'm fairly new to the game. Not riding, but customizing a quad. A "slip on", don't know what the termonology is yet. I was kinda looking for loud. But what means the most is the power. So whatever is the biggest gain of HP without spending an arm and a leg is good b/c I'll be ride'n a lot of trials too. At the same time I am pretty good a wheelies. Thats about all I like to do....

300exOH
03-17-2005, 08:48 AM
A slip on is basically just the muffler instead of a full exhasut system. The HMF is hard to beat for the money. I think they are around $220 or so. It will be plenty loud without the quiet core and the power is on par with the Sparks full exhaust. I only bought the Sparks because I didn't like the rusty stock headpipe.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 08:55 AM
ok, looks like I'm going to be going with the HMF. Where did you buy yours from?

http://www.gopartsdirect.com

here?

Toadz400
03-17-2005, 09:31 AM
A slip on is basically just the muffler instead of a full exhasut system. The HMF is hard to beat for the money. I think they are around $220 or so. It will be plenty loud without the quiet core and the power is on par with the Sparks full exhaust. I only bought the Sparks because I didn't like the rusty stock headpipe.

An HMF slip-on is going to offer you more low end power than a full exhaust, so I'd recommend staying with just the slip-on if you mainly ride trails. I'm very happy with my Big Gun slip-on for my 400ex, awesome torque gains from it.

As for the rusty headpipe, did you ever try cleaning it with a wire brush? Mine was covered in rust and mud was baked on it so I took it off one day and completely cleaned it with a wire brush then polished it up a bit. It's been about a year and it's been through mud, water and everything else and it's still looks as nice as the day I cleaned it. Try it out.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pf10b446f2e0a71062d39045a73d8c4cd/fb39a321.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pff1439a887fa16a1db7a6f90ae49b94f/fb39a30c.jpg

omaits
03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Just go on ebay and get a used slip-on. Who cares if it isn't shiny? Especially if you are new and unsure what you want. This way, if you decide to get something really good (full system) you can just sell the exhaust you bought on eBay for near hte same price you paid.

300exOH
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 300exDust
ok, looks like I'm going to be going with the HMF. Where did you buy yours from?

http://www.gopartsdirect.com

here?

No. AVOID gopartsdirect.com at all costs. They have terrible customer service. I ordered a sprocket hub from them for my durablue axle and it took forever to get it. I have seen a few other posts about bad experiences with them too. I ordered my Sparks directly from Sparks racing. You can get a good deal on the HMF through C&D since they are a site sponsor.

And yes I did try cleaning my stock headpipe but it didn't turn out so well.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by omaits
Just go on ebay and get a used slip-on. Who cares if it isn't shiny? Especially if you are new and unsure what you want. This way, if you decide to get something really good (full system) you can just sell the exhaust you bought on eBay for near hte same price you paid.

The thing is, I've searched on ebay for a slip on for my 300, they must have the same ideas about selling for the same price they bought it for.....

300exDust
03-17-2005, 10:29 AM
No. AVOID gopartsdirect.com at all costs. They have terrible customer service. I ordered a sprocket hub from them for my durablue axle and it took forever to get it. I have seen a few other posts about bad experiences with them too. I ordered my Sparks directly from Sparks racing. You can get a good deal on the HMF through C&D since they are a site sponsor.

And yes I did try cleaning my stock headpipe but it didn't turn out so well.

Hey thanks man I apreciate the advice.

300exOH
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 300exDust
Hey thanks man I apreciate the advice.

No problem.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm have'n a hard time finding a slip on at C&D..... Is it me or is navigation poor there?

300exOH
03-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I've not dealt with their website. You would be better off calling them.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I've not dealt with their website. You would be better off calling them.

kick *** man thanks

omaits
03-17-2005, 11:14 AM
The thing is, I've searched on ebay for a slip on for my 300, they must have the same ideas about selling for the same price they bought it for.....

In my defense, I meant buy a cheap (used) one on ebay and resell it for near the same price. I recently bought a T-4 for $50. It functions that same as new, but not shiney. I also bid on a DG, which sold for $50 as well.

I guess it is hit and miss.

300exDust
03-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I really like the red powder coated HMF. So I just called em up and bought it.....It would have been nice to buy one off of ebay but at the same time I could sell the red later on easier.....

hondaTRX400EX
03-17-2005, 07:21 PM
you purchased it directly from hmf ????

300exDust
03-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by hondaTRX400EX
you purchased it directly from hmf ????

No, C&D