PDA

View Full Version : buying my first 400ex!! Is this a mistake?!

400exMR2T
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I dont know if I want a bike with no reverse! I am supposed to be picking this one up for 2650$ possibly tommorrow. I had a 2004 250ex (weak, I know) that was stolen so I am replacing it with something that has some balls to it. The bike is a 2000 400ex with shaved fenders aftermarket wheels and tires and exhaust and some other extras. Im new to the whole 400ex thing so I dont know much about them.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/sleepin-mr2/95779.jpg

"Great condition and runs good. Equiped with a pro cicuit pipe and renthal bars. Has k&n air filter, ac front bumber mx razors on the rear with douglas billet cut beadlocs, solid front rims with holeshot tires. Race cut front fender. Call after 6:00 pm. $2650.00"

This guy that knows the seller was telling me it has a spark high compression piston or something like that. Its not in the description so Im weary aboutthe bike since it only "runs good" .

Comments in put suggestions ????? I might be picking this up tommorrow night after 6 if I get ahold of him!! Im exited either about getting a new bike!!!!! :D

400exMR2T
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
just to clear it up, I dont really plan to race it, more so just take it mudding and hit up the moto cross track. So I will spend more time in the back woods trails riding than I will on the jumps. I dont go big when I hit jumps either. I have wrecked pretty bad on a honda 3 wheeler I had last year so Im not a big fan of jumps anymore ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/sleepin-mr2/Picture096.jpg

33 stitches from a jump gone wrong in 3rd gear on my trike

So I will be changing the tires a little probably to some 20x11 razrs like my honda trike had on it. Maybe thicker front tires too. shaved fenders look cool though

ZQ8Dude
03-16-2005, 11:54 PM
gee thanks for the nightmare. that picture just makes me sick....just glad it wasnt a picture of your knee...my knee starts to ache everytime i see pictures like that

anyways, no reverse really isnt all that bad. i got warned alot before i bought my 04, my parents even wanted me to get an 05. but to be honest, i dont miss reverse at all. it comes in handy here and there, but ive gotten so use to the weight that on rare times when i have to lift it/push it, it doesnt feel like im moving much weight.

hemi operator
03-17-2005, 03:35 AM
My only concern would be all the modifications. My recommendation for someone without much 400EX experience would be to buy a bike that is all stock or very close. Not because you cannot handle the power, just simply because you don't really know exactly what is on there and if it was built right. Some basic mods are fine, as long as you know what you've got. Of course there's also the fact that if it was built like that, it was done for a reason....has the bike seen racing duty? Especially now with the 450's being out, guys are moving up and dumping their used race bikes. I'd check it out REAL thoroughly for frame cracks, weld repairs, bent sections etc. If you start off stock, you can then add mods as you go, and you'll know exactly what is on the bike and wether or not future mods will work with what you have.

400exMR2T
03-17-2005, 10:01 AM
;) sorry about the nightmares!!

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to try to look/buy this bike tonight. Im going to ask him about the high comp kit on it and see what he tries to tell me. Im pumped about possibly getting a new bike tonight.

My brother and I are driving out to kansas to pick up a warrior he won on ebay for like 1800$. New quads for both of us! :devil:

muddy400EX
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
not tryin to be a smartass or nething but just to let you know, that 400 is set up for mx so its not gonna be great in the trails. but once you get trail tires it will be better. but besides that, 400ex's are great quads! you cant go wrong, just check everything out before you buy it. check for cracks, start it up, push on the shocks, and if he'll let ya, take it down the street:D