PDA

View Full Version : firebird, camaro etc

outacontrol31
03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
i'm sellin my pickup right now cause i don't need it to pull our goosneck trailer any more, and i'm lookin to get a little bit better gas miliage.
my question is, i want the fastest car for my buck, i'm lookin at used cars in the $4000 range, i know that's cheap, but that's what i got, now i have been lookin pontiac firebirds and chevy camaro's, and anything else i think would be fast. i know i want a V-8, and have been lookin at trans ams and firebird t-1's and stuff, camaro z-28's, but i haven't gotten to drive all them, so i don't know what's fastest, anyways, any help would be appreciated, and any input you have

LT250Racer609
03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
im not sure if your really gonna find a Z28 or even a Trans Am for under 4 grand that doesnt have high miles on it....but if you do both the trans Am and Z28 are pretty evenly matched considering GM made both motors...the Z28 has a LT1 V-8 while the Trans Am has the LS-1 V-8 which is the Super sport (SS) editon of the Z-28...the Z-28 makes roughly 280 HP while the trans am makes about 320...the Z28 SS makes 330 HP...camaros are several hundred pounds lighter then the firebirds cause firebirds have a bulkier body style...o and if your gonna look into a camaro or firefird...look into a 93 or higher....all the 80's camaro's were very under powered for V8's...

hope i helped...i own a 98 camaro and love it:D

Quad18star
03-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Find yourself a late 80's or early 90's Camaro. I've always loved the 90 - 92 Z28s . I'd buy one, if the insurance company wouldn't rip my left nut out .

crday98
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
im not sure if your really gonna find a Z28 or even a Trans Am for under 4 grand that doesnt have high miles on it....but if you do both the trans Am and Z28 are pretty evenly matched considering GM made both motors...the Z28 has a LT1 V-8 while the Trans Am has the LS-1 V-8 which is the Super sport (SS) editon of the Z-28...the Z-28 makes roughly 280 HP while the trans am makes about 320...the Z28 SS makes 330 HP...camaros are several hundred pounds lighter then the firebirds cause firebirds have a bulkier body style...o and if your gonna look into a camaro or firefird...look into a 93 or higher....all the 80's camaro's were very under powered for V8's...

hope i helped...i own a 98 camaro and love it:D

:rolleyes: for gods sake don't post info if you don't know what you are talking about;)
both the trans am and camaro have had identical motors since 1982 and up for their respective years. the only worthwhile motors of the 3rd generation f-bodies (1982 to 1992) were the 305 and the 350. there is the exception of the v6 89 turbo t/a.

as for v8's,4th gen(1993 to 1997) f-bodies both came with the 280 hp lt1 and were matched equally for the exception of the ws6 and the firehawk.
late 4th gen(1998 to 2002) f-bodies all came with the 320 hp ls1. some models such as the ss,firehawk and ws6 had the advantage of larger diameter exhausts,functional ram air hoods and raised air boxes to gain an average of about 5hp over the standard formula,trans am and z28.
the 2001 and 2002 models also have the added bonus of the ls6 factory installed intake but gm put in a smaller cam to bring the #'s down or the hp would have equaled their flagship, the corvette.
the camaro is not several hundred lbs lighter than the trans am nor does it have a bulkier body style. these are the same platform cars and nothing but the actual hp #'s of what you posted is correct:rolleyes:

honduh440
03-16-2005, 11:29 PM
well to sum it up with your budget the ls1's are far out of the question so your looking and a mid to early 90's fbody. The Z28 is where you will find the cheapest.

my buddy does have a 94 Z28 with pretty much all of the above including a lt4 conversion it has a few problems and with him having a cobra and another z28 he pays no attention to it and i know he would sell it for very cheap.. like i said tho it does have some problems and with it in 100% running condition he could sell it for 10k. so if you are a big car guy give me a pm and you can get in touch with him

LT250Racer609
03-17-2005, 04:44 AM
actually my numbers are very correct...look up the camaro hisory since the first year they were created way back in the mid 60's...u will notice im right about the 98 SS hacing more HP then any other year SS...and yes i am also right about weight...look up the weights of the firehawks, and trans am's weights compared to the weights of camaros...dont tell me i work for a chevy dealership...i kno my ****...

Rich250RRacer
03-17-2005, 05:11 AM
actually my numbers are very correct...look up the camaro hisory since the first year they were created way back in the mid 60's...u will notice im right about the 98 SS hacing more HP then any other year SS...and yes i am also right about weight...look up the weights of the firehawks, and trans am's weights compared to the weights of camaros...dont tell me i work for a chevy dealership...i kno my ****...

You just gotta shut up, you have no clue what you're talking about!

hemi operator
03-17-2005, 08:46 AM
With that money, any Camaro you'll get will most likely be a thrashed-out headache-to-keep-running late eighties or early nineties model. Camaros from that era didn't stay nice for very long, unless they were totally babied and taken care of. Not sure if you'd be interested in a Mustang, but you could get an early nineties GT or LX 5.0 in somewhat decent shape for that money...but certainly not a real nice one. In my experience both building, racing, and working on cars, I've found the Mustangs of that era to hold together better. Less stuff falling apart inside, less rattles, less nagging, untraceable problems. Faster too.

Rdhanded2
03-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Janitors don't count. I am sorry to break it to you.

Rdhanded2
03-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol31
i'm sellin my pickup right now cause i don't need it to pull our goosneck trailer any more, and i'm lookin to get a little bit better gas miliage.
my question is, i want the fastest car for my buck, i'm lookin at used cars in the $4000 range, i know that's cheap, but that's what i got, now i have been lookin pontiac firebirds and chevy camaro's, and anything else i think would be fast. i know i want a V-8, and have been lookin at trans ams and firebird t-1's and stuff, camaro z-28's, but i haven't gotten to drive all them, so i don't know what's fastest, anyways, any help would be appreciated, and any input you have

Check out www.fbody.com It has a really good for sale section. I bought a 96 Ram air TA off there back in 98. I am a die hard trans am guy because I think they look so much better than the Z28. Same car though, so that is just my opinion.

Rdhanded2
03-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
With that money, any Camaro you'll get will most likely be a thrashed-out headache-to-keep-running late eighties or early nineties model. Camaros from that era didn't stay nice for very long, unless they were totally babied and taken care of. Not sure if you'd be interested in a Mustang, but you could get an early nineties GT or LX 5.0 in somewhat decent shape for that money...but certainly not a real nice one. In my experience both building, racing, and working on cars, I've found the Mustangs of that era to hold together better. Less stuff falling apart inside, less rattles, less nagging, untraceable problems. Faster too.

I agree, a 87 through 93 GT would be a great car, and well within your price range. There are gobs of aftermarket parts out there, and are really reliable. And this is coming from a Pontiac guy.

Juggalo
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
yeah you can find fox body mustangs dirt cheap these days and their nice cars. if you can tho stay away from GT's. i mean theres nothin wrong with em they are just kinda ugly and heavier and less areodynamic than the LX's. if you can get an LX notchback. their the fastest of the fox bodies and they look the best too. the LX hatchback is hidious and id probably rather have a GT than that lol. i guess you cant be too picky tho when your on a budget.

crday98
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
dont tell me i work for a chevy dealership...i kno my ****... i will tell you because you know jack bud!! you claim to own a 98 SS yet you stated that the 98 SS has the lt1 motor???? go ahead and tell me i'm wrong that from 98 to 02, the z28,ss,firehawk,formula,trans am and ws6 "ALL" came with the ls1???? if you do own a 98 SS, a man of your knowledge(hense the sarcasm) can't tell the difference between an iron block lt1 engine vs. an aluminum ls1 engine?? you claim to work at a chevy dealership? i hope you are only cleaning the toilets or washing cars because i sure as hell wouldn't want you even 200' near my car. please come over to my f-body forum and share your knowledge of camaros and trans ams so you could have 200 people laughing their arses off at you.;) i dare you!!!;)

crday98
03-17-2005, 05:58 PM
actually my numbers are very correct...look up the camaro hisory since the first year they were created way back in the mid 60's survey says??? "EEHHHHHHHHH" wrong again!;)
the first camaro was produced in the late 60's beginning in 1967, the firebird's release came shortly after, not in the mid 60's as you incorrectly stated. ;)
go away, you know nothing!;)

LT250Racer609
03-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by crday98
i will tell you because you know jack bud!! you claim to own a 98 SS yet you stated that the 98 SS has the lt1 motor???? go ahead and tell me i'm wrong that from 98 to 02, the z28,ss,firehawk,formula,trans am and ws6 "ALL" came with the ls1???? if you do own a 98 SS, a man of your knowledge(hense the sarcasm) can't tell the difference between an iron block lt1 engine vs. an aluminum ls1 engine?? you claim to work at a chevy dealership? i hope you are only cleaning the toilets or washing cars because i sure as hell wouldn't want you even 200' near my car. please come over to my f-body forum and share your knowledge of camaros and trans ams so you could have 200 people laughing their arses off at you.;) i dare you!!!;)

it has the LS1 motor....if i put LT1 i miss stated it

LT250Racer609
03-17-2005, 07:51 PM

hmmmm read what i stated about 8 times untill you can conclude what i actually said and you are accusing me of being wrong...notice how i said the LS-1 is in the Trans am's and SS and the Z-28 has the LT-1...read it untill your eyes hurt

crday98
03-18-2005, 06:49 AM
hmmmm read what i stated about 8 times untill you can conclude what i actually said and you are accusing me of being wrong...notice how i said the LS-1 is in the Trans am's and SS and the Z-28 has the LT-1...read it untill your eyes hurt the only thing that hurts is my gut from laughing at you so hard.

so the z28 has the LT1 motor and the SS has the LS1???

kid, you know nothing, the z28 has the ls1 as well. i think you need to read the part where i said "go ahead and tell me i'm wrong that from 98 to 02, the z28,ss,firehawk,formula,trans am and ws6 "ALL" came with the ls1????".;)
the invitation for you to come to my site to post your knowledge of f-bodies is still open. ;)

BTW,here are some specs from another site. i guess they're wrong like me.

The new all-aluminum LS1 V8 replaced the LT1 in the Z28, Formula and Trans Am makeing 305 hp. Camaro SS and Pontiac WS6 cars rated at 320 hp. Larger brakes (11.8" front/11.9" rear) all around on the V8 cars, and V6 cars with the Y87 Performance Package option. Includes dual piston front calipers and electronic rear brake force distribution.

All cars got makeovers. The Camaros received a new nose similar to that of a Celica or Eclipse, but no changes to the back of the car.

The Firebird coupe and Formula received a new nose with pop-up quad headlights and fog lights. Trans Am received same headlights, with different nose and fog lights. Taillights received honeycomb pattern. Slightly different wheels introduced on Formula and Trans Am initially, but disappeared later, replaced by the original 5-spoke wheel.

Camaro RS and Firebird GT dropped. Sport Appearance Package became available on Camaro Coupe, Z28 and SS.

1LE performance suspension package now available on Formula, but requires WS6 package.

Firehawk cancelled for 1998 due to safety certification problems (will return for 1999).

New interior cloth on Camaros: Dark Gray, Neutral and Red Accent.

Leather interior available in Dark Gray, Neutral and White.

Exterior colors: Navy Blue Metallic and Sport Gold Metallic added. Black roof returned to Z28.

you can all read it here http://makoto.dyndns.org/fbodyspecs.htm
just scroll down to 1998 ;)

Rdhanded2
03-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey crday98, what do you think of the new GTO?

outacontrol31
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
thanks for all the info guys, it really helped, if you have any pics of sweet cars kinda like your talkin about that would also be great, and at this piont, i'm not gonna rule out mustangs either, i'm just lookin for a good car, that is fast, and looks good.

when i get a car, for the price i'm lookin, i will have to do a bit of work on it, but that's not much of a problem, paint, interior etc, but i want to find one with a good motor that will stay together for me is what i really need...thanks again for the info

BadAss03
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I bought my 94 Z in 2000 with 145 k miles on it and it still ran very strong. Waited a year or so and saved some money then i rebuilt it. High miles does not make a **** if you know how to take care of a car. The car cost me 4000. It has power everything black leather interior and a 6 speed. I was so glad i bought the car. You cant go wrong with a Z or a trans am. But you will be looking pre 98 (thats when the ls1 came into play). A 94 or 95 is better for doing free mods like removing the air pump and cat. On these models it does not make the ses "service engine soon" light come on because of the difference in the little computer in the cars.

Tim

BadAss03
03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Z28 has a LT1 V-8 while the Trans Am has the LS-1 V-8 which is the Super sport (SS) editon of the Z-28...the Z-28 makes roughly 280 HP while the trans am makes about 320...the Z28 SS makes 330 HP

LT250Racer609 sorry to burst your bubble but crday98 is right. The trans am never had 50 more hp than the Z28. Trans Am's and Z's were always pretty much equal. The ss and ws6 were the upgraded preformance package for the respective cars. No way am i trying to bash you for your info, we are just trying to set the record straight.

crday98 what f-body forums do you frequent? I like www.Camaroz28.com and www.z28.com

Rdhanded2
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the Firehawk.

LT250Racer609
03-21-2005, 03:06 PM
but if you do both the trans Am and Z28 are pretty evenly matched considering GM made both motors...thats what i said.,..they are pretty evenly matched

i meant to say the Ws6 or w/e...im not really familier with the pontiac models

bansheeguy77
03-21-2005, 03:57 PM

hmmmm read what i stated about 8 times untill you can conclude what i actually said and you are accusing me of being wrong...notice how i said the LS-1 is in the Trans am's and SS and the Z-28 has the LT-1...read it untill your eyes hurt

lmao gotta love kids who think they know it all. can you enlighten us with more of your "knowledge"

LT250Racer609
03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
yah i will enlighten you some more if you'd like...

did you kno banshee's are twins? holy ****! did u kno that the YFZ is actually a 439 CC while the 450R is really a 450! dman i love being sarcastic....did u kno the YFZ is 5 valved while the 450R is 4 valved???

holy chit! they both have overhead cams! WOWWWWWW

camaros are also f-bodys...need to know anything else in which i can "enlighten" your sarcastic *** in???

crday98
03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
yah i will enlighten you some more if you'd like...

did you kno banshee's are twins? holy ****! did u kno that the YFZ is actually a 439 CC while the 450R is really a 450! dman i love being sarcastic....did u kno the YFZ is 5 valved while the 450R is 4 valved???

holy chit! they both have overhead cams! WOWWWWWW

camaros are also f-bodys...need to know anything else in which i can "enlighten" your sarcastic *** in??? like i said many times.... you know nothing so stop trying to act like you do. just go away. ;)
it is odd that you haven't replied to my latest posts where i pointed out even more of your mistakes??? do you think that if you ignore me, people will actually think that you have any clue of the garbage you've posted? :rolleyes: :D

i like how you keep saying that they are pretty evenly matched because gm made both motors like there's something different between the camaro motor and the trans am motor??? there isn't, they are the same damn motor in each car. there is no difference!!
i would love for you to continue to share your wisdom and knowledge. why don't you tell what it is that gives the SS, Firehawk and WS.6 more horsepower over the standard trans am and Z28??? i could really use another good laugh. ;)

LT250Racer609
03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
well gee i dunno ******* the Ram air induction deff. has a large effect on that HP increase...dont u think dick waad?

crday98
03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
well gee i dunno ******* the Ram air induction deff. has a large effect on that HP increase...dont u think dick waad? wow, did you come up with that all by yourself? so the only reason they have more hp is because of ram air? i see you still won't admit to being wrong on the many things you incorrectly stated.;)

crday98
03-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by BadAss03
crday98 what f-body forums do you frequent? I like www.Camaroz28.com and www.z28.com i actually started my own f-body club and have my own forum now. you can check it out at www.slfba.org . i used to browse www.ls1.com www.ls2.com and www.ls1tech.net daily. they are very helpful boards.;)

Rdhanded2
03-22-2005, 02:09 PM
so what do you think of the new GTO cdday98. Oh. and also, shouldn't someone be warned, or even banned for the kind of language that LT250Racer609 is stooping to?

crday98
03-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
so what do you think of the new GTO cdday98. Oh. and also, shouldn't someone be warned, or even banned for the kind of language that LT250Racer609 is stooping to? maybe because i was bitter at first because they canceled the f-bodies yet offered the gto as a replacement but appearance wise i wasn't too fond on it but the thing grew on me. after seeing the new style with the hood that looks similar to the ws6 hood, i like it even more. the numbers are impressive for this car as well. i'm pretty sure the new ones are putting down 400 hp now. what more could you ask for?:D i am also proud of pontiac for offering a stylish RWD V8 car that puts down over 300 hp at a reasonable price. i wish chevy would have done the same. i haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet but i like what i've seen thus far from it. those that i do know that either own or have driven one didn't have any complaints and had nothing but good to say about them.

as for LT250Racer609, he is just a dumb kid that made himself look like an idiot by acting like he knew something that he actually had no clue about. i proved him wrong and i guess he feels that if he comes here and calls me the names he has in the childish manner he has, that he will appear superior to me. i don't think he realizes that it just adds to his stupidity and proves even more that he is just a clueless idiotic dumb kid. ;)

LT250Racer609
03-23-2005, 08:27 PM
dumb kid...thats rather amusing....dont u think?

crday98
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
dumb kid...thats rather amusing....dont u think?
is that honestly the best you could come up with? i only speak the truth. you acted like you knew something you didn't. i educated you junior and pointed out your mistakes.
instead of "you" saying "crday aka f-body god, i was wrong and have no clue what i am talking about. i also apologize for arguing with you about something i evidently need to learn more about before opening my mouth. i am a complete idiot." you chose to retaliate by calling me dickwad,*******,etc to try getting one up on me even though you are the one who made yourself look like the idiot. i just simply pointed it out for those who actually might have made the mistake of believing anything you posted.
BTW, i still have yet to hear you admit that you were wrong about the many things that you were?? you'll drop in here and call me names all because i corrected you but still won't admit to being wrong. FYI, this makes you look like even more of an idiot but if you get your jollies of it, be my guest. i need a good laugh every so often.;) :D

Ex'In_Alberta
03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
ya know how to tell those who do know and dont know they're s***....the ones who say somewhere around, and has about, and things like that when it comes to HP, cause they're the ones not trying to read they're info off of a web page....simple fact of life is, web pages, especially the ones car companies want you to read.....arent the entire truth and and as for. LT250Racer609, i dun know S*** but if 2 people said your wrong, and both have the same info ya might wanna double check yours, quick look around the net will prove ya wrong

LT250Racer609
03-24-2005, 04:43 AM
nopei just dont care to act like im 5 anymore and carry on like you are and have been to argue over and over again about dumb ****...ok yes maybe i was wrong and u are right...grow up and movie on instead of goin back and revolving around the same god damn thing

outacontrol31
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
this is the car i'm lookin at after yalls reply's, tell me what yall think
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=178409671&dealer_id=55981852&car_year=1996&make=PONT&distance=300&lang=&max_price=6000&model=TRANSAM&end_year=2002&min_price=1000&certified=&address=76249&search_type=used&advanced=&start_year=1990&isp=y&cardist=40

also what is the hp number difference's between the ls1 and the lt1, and other differences between em. thanks for the help

BadAss03
03-24-2005, 11:12 AM
That price seems a bit high for those miles. I got a 94 Z with 145k for 4000. Dont settle for the first thing you find. you can find the deal you are looking for, you just may have to look a little bit harder.

As for the hp differences the 96 was not rated at 310 like it says in the ad. The actual hp for that car is probably around 260-275 (new) and an ls-1 comes anywhere from 280 in the 98z up to 345 in the corvette. Unless there is something really wrong with the ls-1 then you will not find one in your price range.

BadAss03
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
But with this car I think you will really be happy

sean94z
03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
LMAO that first response cracked me up, "the Z28 has the LT1 while the Trans Am has the LS1" :rolleyes: lol

Anyways both the Zs and the T/As are sweet cars, get one and you will fall in love like the rest of us fbody owners did.

jt195
03-24-2005, 01:45 PM
also if u get an lt1 i no some companies make an lt4 conversion kit which will put u up to around 430 hp.....i think year one sells them

BadAss03
03-24-2005, 02:56 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=lt1&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

Here is the lt-4 conversion kit.
The only problem is that you will still have a 2 bolt main. Instead of a 4 bolt like the real lt-4. This kit will really wake up an lt-1. Not that hard of an install

BadAss03
03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Link goes to the wrong place. To find the kit just type in LT-4 into the search. But yes it is a great deal and a great kit.

Rdhanded2
03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Real nice car other than the miles. If you buy it, be prepared to shell out money for repairs.

crday98
03-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BadAss03

(new) and an ls-1 comes anywhere from 280 in the 98z up to 345 in the corvette. Unless there is something really wrong with the ls-1 then you will not find one in your price range. the ls1 never has been rated any lower than 305 hp in any f-body.you are posting the same incorrect info as the other idiot. the z28 is rated at the lowest of 305hp depending on the ad you read. some say 305, some say 310,some even have it rated at 320 hp which is the most realistic number of them all. i know many people who own 98-02 f-bodies and 99% of them have put down an average of 15-20 hp on the dyno than the cars were actually rated at. i've even seen a few factory freaks put down as much hp as the vette is rated at. it is the belief that gm has these cars under-rated from their actual #'s because the vette group would be very unhappy knowing that there isn't much difference in hp between the two. gm will do anything they can to protect their flag ship, the vette. take nothing away from the vette. because of gm, many people seem to think that there is nothing faster than a vette especially a little camaro or trans am. countless times i've had people that talked chit because they owned a vette and they laughed when i explained to them that i would own them at the track. they weren't laughing when i proved it to them.:D

Rdhanded2
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
I have never seen a completely stock car put down the numbers that the factory quoted it at. Maybe I missread your post, but the the hp rating are way over rated, or maybe they are from the flywheel. Example 2004 pontiac GTO bone stock, with LS1 and auto, which does rob some power, especially with i.r.s. It dynod at 286hp, 300lb-ft torque. The factory rates it at 350hp and 365lb-ft torque. Now it has predator tuning, headers, new throttle body, cold air intake and plugs. I am sure it has bumped up some, but still not 350, though I don't have a new dyno run to back that up.

Damien Camplin
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm not going to get into this argument but I think you should be listening to crday98. He has the most accurate info here. What is done to your car crday98? I have an 02 ss ragtop, it is a built auto car, runs 391 horse 377 ft/lbs to the rear wheels, I turned 11.91 in the quarter last sunday on nittos.
As for a 4000 car, my dad has a nice 94 ta for sale, it is a stock lt1 with exhaust, k&n. It is auto, leather, t-top, etc. It has 100k even and is white with white 25th anniv. wheels. Pretty car only problem is it is rebuilt title due to theft recovery. It takes 4850 to buy it if you are interested I will take pics asap. If not I understand just trying to help.

crday98
03-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Damien Camplin
I'm not going to get into this argument but I think you should be listening to crday98. He has the most accurate info here. What is done to your car crday98? I have an 02 ss ragtop, it is a built auto car, runs 391 horse 377 ft/lbs to the rear wheels, I turned 11.91 in the quarter last sunday on nittos.
As for a 4000 car, my dad has a nice 94 ta for sale, it is a stock lt1 with exhaust, k&n. It is auto, leather, t-top, etc. It has 100k even and is white with white 25th anniv. wheels. Pretty car only problem is it is rebuilt title due to theft recovery. It takes 4850 to buy it if you are interested I will take pics asap. If not I understand just trying to help. i no longer have mine but i had an MTI lid, ASP pulley,Corsa catback,SLP 85mm MAF,Holley Powershot filter,NOS 5177 dry kit with 150 jets,MSD window switch,Midwest 3200 stall converter,SLP bolt on SFC's,MAFT,plus a few other things i can't think of at the current.
do you have a stall in yours? it is the best bang for the buck on an auto car with an average gain of .5 depending on the stall you go with. i think your safest bet is to go with 3200-3500 if you plan on keeping it streetable. i feel the second best bang for the buck is the NOS 5177 kit. you can run a 100 shot without any worries. i personally have and know people who have around 200 passes using 150 jets without any problems for the exception of the stock 10 bolt getting weak. this just gives you the excuse to get the Moser 12 bolt if you like modding your car:devil: .
damien, those are excellent numbers. have you looked into getting a set of ET Streets? i had the Nitto drag radials as well. they are excellent for what they are but you could probably drop your 60' down to a 1.6 judging by your #'s with a set of ET's. the only disadvantage to them is you'll have to find a set of 15" weld draglites and grind down your real calipers to get them to fit or you'll have to get a set of 15" Bogart wheels that are specially designed for the mounting 15" slicks on 4th gen f-bodies.

Rdhanded2,actually i was dead on with the actual #'s that the late 4th gen f-bodies actually produce vs what they are rated at. i haven't checked out what other cars put down vs. what they are rated at but i do know people with vette's that have put down much less than what they are rated at. i have seen vette guys stand there in shock watching some f-bodies put down greater numbers than their vettes did at car shows on the portable dyno. it is believed by many that GM intentionally rated the f-bodies lower than their actual numbers because it would look bad on their part if people were to know that their flag ship had nothing to very little over a car that cost an average of $15,000 less.
i'm not saying every f-body produces higher numbers than their rated numbers. there are a few i know of that have produced lower numbers but the majority i know, have produced higher ones.

MOFO
03-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
I have never seen a completely stock car put down the numbers that the factory quoted it at.

trust me, I'm no f-body expert, but the f-body's from 98-02 were putting out more than what the factory claimed. I've heard the same thing crday98 said... it was to protect the vette owners. :D

jt195
03-25-2005, 10:25 AM
i have an 85 iroc-z had a 305...right now im in the process of putting in a 383 stroker thats rated at 425 horses and im not sure of the tranny yet....i was thinking a t-56...but i wanna run at maple grove so i might just send my 700r4 to get rebuild so my times are more consistant ...i also am prolly going to get a ford 9 inch rear.....ill have to post some pics of it when its done.sorry about getting off the subject

jt195
03-25-2005, 10:25 AM
i have an 85 iroc-z had a 305...right now im in the process of putting in a 383 stroker thats rated at 425 horses and im not sure of the tranny yet....i was thinking a t-56...but i wanna run at maple grove so i might just send my 700r4 to get rebuild so my times are more consistant ...i also am prolly going to get a ford 9 inch rear.....ill have to post some pics of it when its done.sorry about getting off the subject

crday98
03-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by jt195
i see you are from nepa also. you should join my club. you can check out the link in my profile. if you are planning on building an all out drag car, go with an auto with a stall converter. for your set up i would suggest the turbo 400. the 700R4 is too weak of a tranny especially for those numbers. trust me, i have owned two 3rd gen f-bodies and killed 5 700R4's with 2 being on stock motors and the other 3 put down nowhere near the hp that you plan to. if you plan on going with the T-56, be prepared for some clutch woes.

Damien Camplin
03-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I ran a 1.6 60' but my car has a lot of suspension in the rear. I think it does well for a ragtop. It has a tci stall. If it weren't a ragtop I would say it would run a mid 11. I thought about spraying it but I hate to do that to that nice of a car. As for the factory rear ends they suck. I am still running factory 3.23 gears as of right now but if they break that will change!

1BADYFZ
03-25-2005, 08:49 PM
my 98 TA

crday98
03-25-2005, 09:05 PM
here is a pic of mine

crday98
03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Damien Camplin
I ran a 1.6 60' but my car has a lot of suspension in the rear. I think it does well for a ragtop. It has a tci stall. If it weren't a ragtop I would say it would run a mid 11. I thought about spraying it but I hate to do that to that nice of a car. As for the factory rear ends they suck. I am still running factory 3.23 gears as of right now but if they break that will change! that is an excellent 60' for a vert and on nittos? do you have SFC's? they should really help if you don't already have them. as for the spray, you wouldn't hurt anything on your car if you install the NOS 5177 dry kit. the only thing would need to drill is two holes on the sides of your air lid and a hole for the line from the tank. you can pick up an aftermarket lid for around $85 that has alot less restriction than the stocker.;) i'm not trying to twist your arm but you should look into it.;)

Damien Camplin
03-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Sharp cars! I am running slp SFC's. They dropped it from a 12.04 to the 11.91. I had a .096 reaction with a 7.55 1/8 and 11.19 1/4 at 112.7. I will check into that kit and I might try it out. I am going to the track again tomorrow if it don't rain. I got a new maf and a couple of small things I want to see if it helps or hurts me.
Thanks for trying to help. I will try to post a pic of my car in the next couple of days.

outacontrol31
03-26-2005, 10:20 PM
how much is that kit you siad i could bolt up? and also Damein if you want to send some pics, that would be great, thanks for all the help guys

outacontrol31
03-28-2005, 10:35 PM
bump^^^^anybody know the price?