PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Valves

tcr450r
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I bought my 450r almost exactly a year ago. wen i bought the quad the dealer told me to come back a month later for a 250 $ valve adjustment, oilchange, and wutnot. Ive done all my oil changes and normal maintenance and I figured I'd be able to find someone to do the valves for cheaper as I've never been into the motor too much and I'd rather have the work warranteed. Well, I put it off, but havent noticed to much of any performance changes and no ticking or nething to show any signs of needing valve adjustment. I talked to my dad about this and asked him when i buy my cam in a couple of weeks and my dynatek, if thats all everyone says it will be(which i am hoping it will), if hed haul my quad to my dealer so they could check up on everything. He came home today and said that he talked to some "expert" at work, and the guy said that there's no way i need to have them adjusted yet. I know the guy is pretty good with motors. The guy built a civic with two engines and has a bad*** porsche. But this doesnt sound right. Wut do all you think about this valve adjustment? Thanx.

03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
I have also had mine for almost a year and have also put off getting my valves adjusted, I dont see why I should when it runs fine and no noise. also, I have heard alot of people putting their HRC cams in and adjusting the valves saying they are fine so I'm not changing mine until June 1. ALSO, dont go to that dealer either ever again if they are going to charge you $250 to change oil, check tire pressure, and bend you over. I bet they add to that $250 with the oil filter, oil, and KY jelly they may use to rape you

tcr450r
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Ya, there arent any signs of needing a valve adjustment that i know of. A little backfiring when i let off, (i dont no if that is even a sign of needing a valve adjustment) but thats because i still have to get my jetting dialed in. But yeah mike, i agree with you on the whole dealer thing. 250$!!! thanx alot.

400exrider707
03-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by tcr450r
Ya, there arent any signs of needing a valve adjustment that i know of. A little backfiring when i let off, (i dont no if that is even a sign of needing a valve adjustment) but thats because i still have to get my jetting dialed in. But yeah mike, i agree with you on the whole dealer thing. 250$!!! thanx alot.

Backfiring when you let off sounds like lean on the mixture screw. Also I read a dirt bike mag (cant remember which one) a little bit ago when they did the shootout between all of the best bikes from each class. (YZ 125, CRF 250, kx 250, CRF 450) The let the factory mechanics do the work for the shootout and both hondas needed valve adjustments after 10 hours, 20hours and 40hours, with the exception that I believe the 450 stayed within specs at the 40hour mark. They do move and should be adjusted. At least check them as preventative maintenance. Plus it doesn't cost you anything to check them.

R_rocket
03-15-2005, 11:10 PM
I have had my 450 for almost a year. I installed a cam last fall and I have road mine the same amount of time with and without the cam. I brought mine in to check the vavles last week and they said they were in speck and they have never been adjusted. How can this be?

Hammer trx450r
03-16-2005, 03:41 AM
You loose clearances after awhile and your valves will not shut properly, so stop listening for a tap because you won't hear it. I'm guessing the time you will feel it is when she is running crappy after warming up real good. And its not the hardest thing to do guys, try it.

tcr450r
03-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Alright guys, thanx for everything. how hard is it to get to the valves and atleast check them. Im sure i could find a place to do them. But i guess its time i break into the motor. Also, do you know if there is any specific tools i will need that an average set wouldnt have.

BSTURDIVANT
03-16-2005, 06:19 AM
We have seen 450r's with many hours and races in XC with little change in valve clearances! These had perfect maintenance with extra attention paid to the air filter. We have also seen some with 10 hrs and the intake valves worn out from dirt coming through the filter! One guy ran a XC race and realized that his filter was freshly oiled and still in the trailer!

1fastR
03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
its a little work getting to the valves to adjust them but not to hard, get the manual and take your time

1fastR
03-16-2005, 07:45 AM
pic of inside the motor-

iceracer65
03-16-2005, 12:18 PM
i agree that listening for noise is not the right way. the ticking noise will actually go away when they need to be adjusted.

the valves will actually pound themselves up into the seat causing them to tighten up rather than loosen.

ATC350X 85
03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
450r valves will get tighter over time and beat themselves into the valve seat. After that the valves burn and it runs like $hit. You will need extensive motor work. My valves were tight after 30-40 hours, I change the oil every 5-7 hrs. Preventative maintenaince is a better route.

D-7#61-450r
03-16-2005, 10:16 PM
If you don't feel like checking your valves I say call and check on the price of a cam carrier. Because if you don't check them sooner or later when the valves tighten up you will need one. I raced mine a year with no adjustment needed, until today they may be fine but its better safe than sorry. Plus there easy to check.

kssandduner
03-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Checking the clearances is the easy part. Trying to get the clearances adjusted with the right size of shims is the difficult part. I hear the shims aren't cheap if you buy them individually from the dealer, so I would advise getting it right the first time!

Joe

tcr450r
03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks alot for everyones help. im thinking im gonna take a shot at it. I still have to get that service manual but it will be done soon. Thanks

PADZZ
03-17-2005, 07:42 PM
FWIW, my dealer quoted me $55.00 to install cam and adjust valves. I think I'm going to take him up on that..

Hammer trx450r
03-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by PADZZ
FWIW, my dealer quoted me $55.00 to install cam and adjust valves. I think I'm going to take him up on that..

55 is cheap i would think.

Hammer trx450r
03-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r
If you don't feel like checking your valves I say call and check on the price of a cam carrier. Because if you don't check them sooner or later when the valves tighten up you will need one. I raced mine a year with no adjustment needed, until today they may be fine but its better safe than sorry. Plus there easy to check.

What does it do to the cam carrier?

ATC350X 85
03-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I woul make sure youre fully prepared before getting into this project. I good mechanical backround is necessary I would say. First off buy the shim kit from Hotcams for $69.00 and save yourself the headache. Make sure you have the following:

1/4 ratchet
3/8 ratchet
8mm socket
10mm socket
12 mm socket?
3/8 drive torque wrench
10mm allen head socket
6mm allen head socket?
8mm allen head socket
blue locktite
zip ties
pliers
needle nose pliers
feeler gauges
small telescoping pocket magnet
cam tensioner tool

Follow the manual step by step and this is pretty much all you will need to complete the job, dont forget to torque everything back together (cam holder and cam gear) use the locktite on the cam gear bolts. If i missed something someone else can probably fill it in.