PDA

View Full Version : got the 400ex motor out!

SnotMe80
03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
i got the motor out of the 400 today after fighting the swingarm bolt for a while-i am putting a new piston in and it is going to the machine shop to get bored out but on the old piston there was alot of carbon on the top of it and the bottom of the head all around the valves is alot of carbon. any ideas why or is this normal on these motors?
thanks
Rob

enduro400rider
03-15-2005, 07:07 PM
pulled my 400 motor out last friday those swing arm bolts are a mother to get out. mine has alot carbon on the exuast valves too. for mine its probably cuz the rings were startin to go and all the oil it was burning started to build up on there. if your rings are bad that could be why, for you too.

SnotMe80
03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
yeah mine was blowing smoke! what are you doing for a new swing arm bolt-oem or aftermarket?

Plante400
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
swing arm bolts are def a biatch.
i cut mine wiht a torch
hahahaha

TM426
03-15-2005, 08:11 PM
The black stuff is carbon. Most likely not from oil. It is normal in smaller amounts. Larger amounts are from running too rich.

kilabeez0
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
how did u guys get your swingarm bolt out? and i hoped you ordered a new stainless one. also why did u take the whole motor out to rebuild the cylinder and head?

SnotMe80
03-16-2005, 04:57 PM
i took the whole motor out because i wanted to clean everything why it was apart and i am rebuilding the motor in my basement which is warmer than my garage right now.

TM426
03-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
how did u guys get your swingarm bolt out? and i hoped you ordered a new stainless one. also why did u take the whole motor out to rebuild the cylinder and head?

I had an atachment for my acedelien(SP) torch that fit in the hole through the bolt. I just heated the bolt with the nut loose on the end and taped lightly with a socket on the nut to break it free. Then I turned the bolt with a ratchet while someone else tapped the end with a long extension.

Flip_SideEX
03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
i took my swing arm bolt out last year. (well it really wasnt me cause i gave up and gave it to my friends dad to get out) but yea when you put that thing back in, grease the $hit out of it. cuase i jsut took my motor out these past 2 weeks and the swing arm bolt came off cleanly with no struggle at all.

BLEEDRED
03-17-2005, 04:55 PM
the old piston there was alot of carbon on the top of it and the bottom of the head all around the valves is alot of carbon.

Sounds like you were running fat and happy. I little rich, better than a little lean, IMO.