PDA

View Full Version : ticking on right side

dirtybirdz400
03-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Just a quick question, my 03 Z400 started ticking the other day on the right side. I have read other posts, but am confused about whether or not it is the timing chain, cam chain, or valves. It has an fmf aftermarket pipe with a powerbomb header. The bike is loud and this ticking is able to be heard over the pipe. Any help is appreciated.

quadrcr87
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
There is a good chance the ticking is your exhaust. i have had a similar problem. it ended up being the small gasket on the cylinder right between the pipe and cylinder. Its an easy fix. many people have this problem when they switch pipes.

mecheech
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Check Ur Auto-cam adjuster and if U only have a click or two left then it is Ur Cam chain. Mine stretched at about 85hrs of pretty hard riding and sounds to be pretty common esp in the 03 models.

rrguy
03-18-2005, 03:04 PM
dirtybirdz400 FYI the cam chain, timing chain are the same. If you replace it, I would get the Heavy duty one.

kbh78
03-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Have they came out with heavy duty cam chains yet if so where do you get them at? All the Z400s that i have seen that have motor work or just a pipe and jetting have stretched there timing chains frequently.

wgbanks
04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I have had my local quad shop.. Precision Powersports, looking for an after market heavy duty chain, and one does not seem to exist. Worse yet the local Suzuki dealer has had one on back order, 3 weeks now, directly from Suzuki and as of right now there is no anticipated delivery date.... Every 03 Z out there must need or has had one replaced to cause such lack of what should be a relatively common part. Glad it's my buddies bike... My 416EX is still running strong and circles around his Z... when the Z actually runs.

kbh78
04-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I have a 400ex and it doesn't miss a beat either alot of my friends have z400s and thier is definetly some problems with the timing chain. I don't know if it is the timing chain it self or something causing the chain to stretch. All the motors that have been built seem to have the most problem that we have seen. All I know is that I have had my 400ex for five years and have a few races on it had it hasn't caused me a bit of trouble. I am honda for life.

jamesrair
04-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I used to have the same problem whenever I rode and found out it was the cam chain.