PDA

View Full Version : Quiet silencer help needed!!!

SLK
03-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I just bought an 89 250r with a Paul Turner pipe and silencer, which works good, the problem is where I ride I have to keep the noise down, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a good quiet silencer out there? And can I still use the Turner pipe with it? Any and all info. would be appreciated!!!

mdl76
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
get post, i am wondering to... I ride in michigan and at the dunes you cant go above 94db. the fmf q is rated at 96db. wtf!!! I dont even know if the stock pipe and silncer will meet that level.

Roostin250R
03-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I have run the stock silencer on my ESR 5 pipe just to see how much quieter it was. The sound level was reduced quite a bit. Not sure what the db is. I did notice some power loss also.

XANDADA
03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I used to own an ESR quiet silencer. I don't know what the db decrease was but it was noticably quieter than the regular ESR silencer. I couldn't tell a power difference between the two.

MDL76 - when we went to SIlver Lake, MI they only checked for a spark arrestor - maybe we got lucky but it was an extremely busy weekend too.

Roostin250R
03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
We usually plan our trips to Silver Lakes Sunday thru Tuesday, that way we only have to deal with the DNR on the sound issue on Sun. The only thing we have ever been checked for is a spark arrestor. Also, I used to have an FMF quiet core silencer which I noticed no decrease in the actual sound level over my standard FMF silencer.

Eddiesanders250
03-16-2005, 04:01 PM
i have a csfx silencer and it is real quiet. If your pipe can use a stock silencer the csfx will fit.

SLK
03-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Eddiesanders250 who makes the csfx silencer? and do you think it would work with my Paul Turner pipe?

mdl76
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Cascade Innovations inc makes the csfx silencer. its like 179.00 but you must get it bent for your bike. they said they cant garentty the sound level though. they did NOT give me sound specs. I know the fmf q i have is pretty quite, but im not sure if its 96db.... my bike is pretty much stock except for the 210psi comp and porting. I also have a old school fmf high rev pipe, but in going to be replacing it.

I know diff expansion pipes will all sound a bit different to,

SO IF ANYONE HAVE A SETUP THAT WORKS TO MAKE YAH PASS THE SOUND LEVEL TEST, LET US KNOW!!!!!!!!

TANX:eek2:

mdl76
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
snoop bumpy bump

SnowRacerX
03-22-2005, 01:39 PM
For those of you that ride at Silver Lake there are sooo many ways to get around the DB check. The best way is to just put it in the back of your truck and drive the truck in with the quad in the back, when you do this they only check for a spark arrestor. Number 2 you can shove some steel wool up your pipe when you go thru the gates, then just pull over once your out of site and take it out. Oh yeah and i've heard people say to pull your choke when there testing, but i've never done that.

Seriously i can't really believe you guys are having trouble out there i go with guys that have full out drag motors and pipes and we have only had trouble twice out of many many many weekends.

Eddiesanders250
03-22-2005, 02:23 PM
not sure who makes it but it should fit your paul turner pipe

SLK
03-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Ok another reason why I started this topic was to see if anyone had any ideas to keep decibel noise down for racing, In order for me to race Harescrambles in MN my 250r must have a spark arrestor and pass a 96 decibel noise test!!! So I want to be legal to pass and race!!! If anyone has any suggestions please respond!!

SLK
03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I talked to CT racing the other day and I was going to try his silencer untill he said that there spark arrestor silencer is maybe 101 db's, they have never tested it, so he told me to go with the FMF Q series silencer, should work with my Paul Turner pipe just fine, so I ordered one up and it showed up today, it fit perfect with my PT pipe and seems to work pretty good, a LOT less db's like they claim and I don't really notice any big power loss. One drawback is the silencer is kind of long and ugly but it works!!!!

baker250r
03-26-2005, 06:56 AM
I know a guy that has a cr500 stuffed into his 250r. he has to keep his quad under 96db for ice racing. he has a custom trinity pipe and a fmf q silencer. he said that with just those two itme, se was nowhere near 96. he then took exhaust tape and wrapped it around his whole pipe from flange to he silencer. he sad this helped him alot and got him clearly under 96. But this is a winter quad... so i dont know if you guys wll have problems with overheating in the summer with this setup.