PDA

View Full Version : Front end slides in corners

sprtrx300ex
03-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I have a 400ex with a LT front end, and I notied that the front end doesnt hook like I want it to in the corners. I have stock tires and rims in the front.

I think the larger tires might be a factor, but could my toe in/out and camber/castor be a factor too? What about rebound? My wheels are not angled in like you see on most MX setups. Would this help?

Thanks

eagertorace
03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
put some mx tires on front and adjust, fine tune your shocks,
hope this helps

sprtrx300ex
03-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I plan on getting som 20's up front, but untill then I 'd like to know about the toe in/out and camber castor for Mx.

400EXracer74
03-15-2005, 08:28 PM
well i have no idea what castor is. so that might be able to help but i know for a fact that a small amount of toe in and camber whould help. camber so our tires are like / \ . just think about it when you are in a corner most of the weight is on the outside tires and if that tire is cambered in at the top and the quad is leaning the tire will be more flat on the ground where it gets most of the grip.

sjc115
03-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Castor is the tilt of the spindle (when viewed from the side of the quad).

The further you move the top of the spindle back (towards the rear of the quad) the more stable the quad will be.

The closer the top is to the bottom (i.e. more straight up and down), the easier it will be to turn. The trade off is at some point it will become twitchy at high speed.

If you have adjustable a-arms, try moving the top arm forward a litlle bit and see how you like it.

TBD
03-16-2005, 11:15 AM
The 400EX has a problem with the frontend pushing. Like sjc115 said you could mess with the castor. Less castor is what you would need. Like he said, too little castor will make the front twitchy. You might want to think about a longer swingarm. This will transfer more wieght to the front and give you better bite without the twitchyness of too little castor.

sprtrx300ex
03-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Could you please explain it a little better? Im kinda confused when you say "to the back of the quad" and the spindle towards the bottom.

Thanks

sjc115
03-16-2005, 01:24 PM
If you are looking at the right side (passenger side if it was a car) of the quad draw an imaginary line that goes through the center of the upper and lower ball joints. The line will be tilted so that the top of the line will be 'pointing' toward the back of the quad.

The further the line tilts toward the rear, the more stable (i.e. harder to turn). The less it tilts to the rear (i.e. more straight up and down) the easier the quad will turn, but the more twitchy it will be at speed.

Hopefully that helps.

pnut420
03-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Get your castor right for now, then later on the MX tires will help a ton. Its hard to get the castor right with the 22 inches because its hard to get the angle you need with the 22, the 22 will drag when angled in.

My buddy has 22's and Ive been telling him to get 20's ASAP. His quad handles terrible and seems really floaty.

My brother has full set of MX tires and it handles so much better, he also has PEP's with Rezi's etc.... where my other buddy has Elkas with the 22 front and 20 rear, my brothers is stock motor and will put the hurt on the 416 with port, etc.... suspension and handling does alot for you on the MX track...

R3Concepts
03-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Use an ish load of front brake, and pin it, slide around that badboy