PDA

View Full Version : Gapless rings

krazken
03-15-2005, 08:18 AM
I am in the process of putting in a 426 kit, and decided to go with gapless piston rings via totalseal.com. I am having trouble getting the piston with the rings back into the bored cylinder. I have tried a piston ring compressor, and tried having three people help try to squeeze it in with no luck. I have measured all of the gaps on the rings, and they are all within the allowed limits, so I know I am good there. I am starting to think that the local shop that did the bore didn't do it quite to spec, and maybe left it a little small so as to not overbore it. Any ideas?

thanks

duke416ex
03-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Sounds like they didn't bore enough, have you measures the piston and sleeve size?

krazken
03-15-2005, 08:26 AM
yeah...i think it is either .5 or .05 difference. Yeah I know that is a big difference....just can't remember off the top of my head. I am taking it there to them at lunch today to have them check it out.

Does anyone have any experience using gapless rings? I have read that there is a noticeable 'seat of the pants' difference, just would like some 'real' examples.

K_Fulk
03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Does the piston fit in the cylinder without the rings?

When I tried to put my 426 back together with new rings last summer it was hard to get it in even after it hade been a 426 for a while. At that bore there isnt much taper left in the cylinder anymore.

happyboy
03-16-2005, 11:09 PM
turns out totalseal didn't cut the groove correctly on the upper ring. The are sending a new one out over night, yesterday...we will have it today.