PDA

View Full Version : oil level

Fast350ex
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
I recently read in a post that foaming oil is caused by the oil filter being in backwards and may wear out the valve seals.

Every time I chech my oil, it is either to high to low or no reading at all.

The other day I checked it and it was to low, so I added some. Then it was to high. After it was warmed up I checked it again and it was to high-foamy/bubbly.
I checked it again a few days later (no riding for a week) and there was no reading at all.

Even when I warm it up there is still no reading. It went from to high to too no reading at all. When I add some it reads too high and it's foamy.

Is this from having the oil filter in backwards?
It also leaks a bit of oil from under the exhaust flanges, it doesn't make a puddle on the ground but it sits on the fins of the cylinder, It's not a lot at all but i'm still concerned. Could this be from fried valve seals by having the oil filter in wrong?

Any help, advice, or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

JOEX
03-14-2005, 10:36 PM
When checking the oil level on a 400ex.....

Warm up the motor for about 10 minutes with out reving it. It must idle for several minutes before shutting it off.

Let it rest for 5 minutes on level ground. Remove the dip stick, clean it off. Reinsert it without screwing it in, just let the threads touch. Remove the dip stick and note the oil level.

The rubber gasket on the filter should be facing outward when installed.

walt miller
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
the foaming is caused by to much oil in the motor the oil is not in the oil tank lick it should be. this is caused by a blockage some where. improper oil filter insallation can be the problem

Fast350ex
03-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks, but does this have anything to do with the valve springs and the leakage under the exhaust flanges?

walt miller
03-15-2005, 09:25 PM
did you read my post under burning alot of oil? when this happens it will over heat the top end which will ruin valve stem seals, bore, cam, and could blow head gasket