PDA

View Full Version : Flat track tire size?

Freestylemxr
03-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm plannin on running some flat track with my yfz, i'm not buying a lowering kit or anything fancy i'm just doing it for fun on the side of MX, and i'm running some 20 inch razr mx up front (they probably dont like it but i'm on a tight budget haha) and I was wondering what I should do for rear tires? Should I get 18 inch flat track tires which would keep me lower and be the same size as my mx tires? Or should I get 20 inch flat track tires? Thanks for the help!

Freestylemxr
03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Anyone?

ghak99
03-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Most run 18" rears. Tire pressure is very important. If it is a true flat track, an oval, you could run an 18" on the inside and an 19" on the outside and dish you right front out with your left front regular. You don't see too many 20" tires in my area. You could also stiffen up your outside shock to stop some of the body roll.

If it is a tt track you will need both tires the same size. Even thought they both say 18", air them up and take a string around them and measure them. Put the bigger one on the outside. TT tires are not all the same even though they say the same size.

It depends on your local racing level, but to be competitive at all you are probably at least going to need a cheap lowering kit, and possibly a sway bar. I know in my area you would get lapped and run off the track by the begginers if you were not lowered and running a sway bar.

Good Luck!;)

Cody_300ex
03-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Also remember that if you want to run hossiers or American Racers you need a 8 or 10 inch wheels.

Freestylemxr
03-18-2005, 07:34 PM
alright thanks ;)

I'm just gonna go with some cheap 18 inch tires, Just finished buying/ buildin my 05 yfz so the lowing kit may have to wait a month or too haha thanks for the advice!

EvilJester400EX
03-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Make sure you get the 10 inch rears. At high speeds it really helps - less tire roll.

ghak99
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Make sure you get the 10 inch rears. At high speeds it really helps - less tire roll.

Forgot to mention that!