PDA

View Full Version : only does it when its hot/ ASAP

got dirt?
03-14-2005, 08:21 PM
my qaud has been acting up (2004 ltz-400) the first time I rode for 20 min. hard on a xc course the first time it bogged like the choke was on then it happened again those two times it started back up but the third time it didn't, I got home and it fired back up. I went riding again this time for about a hour and a half at about 3/4 race speed w/ some stops and as I get closer to the truck to load it does it again, it stopped and wouldn't restart and again I got home and it started back up. I have good spark when I get home I haven't checked it when it stops,and I'm getting gas my dealer checked the coil said it was good but he had no way to heat it up. thanks for any replys.???????????????????????????

2muchquad
03-14-2005, 08:29 PM
if your dealer checked the coil,my money would be on you have a bad pulser coil(by stator).it could be a cdi but i doubt it.tell your dealer a coil can test good with a ohmmeter but be bad.once it starts to get warm,those readings can go out the window.but as a dealer im sure he knew that...they are so smart..:rolleyes:

250EXactly
03-17-2005, 03:28 PM
In years past, I have experienced this problem. I usually change the plug and all is well. Sometimes the core of the plug breaks inside of the ceramic and opens. This causes you to lose your spark. The spark is lost while the plug is hot, but returns when the plug has time to cool off. Something to do with the gap opening and closing.

2muchquad
03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE]Something to do with the gap opening and closing.[/QU

OTE

say what?i thought the spark jumped the gap,i didnt know it ever opened and closed..
:confused:

400exrider707
03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Sounds like it is jetted lean. When it gets hotter it starts running a little leaner because it needs more gas coming in to keep the motor cool. Up your main jet one size and check your oil and your antifreeze. Then try again. The jet should take care of the problem. IMO. Plus its only like $6.

250EXactly
03-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
[QUOTE]Something to do with the gap opening and closing.[/QU

OTE

say what?i thought the spark jumped the gap,i didnt know it ever opened and closed..
:confused:

Yeah, it jumps the gap at the end of the plug!! But, if the core breaks inside of the ceramic, then the voltage has to essentually jump across two gaps. Ya ain't gonna have a strong enough spark at the tip of the plug if it has to jump the internal break too.:rolleyes:

wheeltrax
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
my friends did something similar and his problem was that from the factory or wherever that put it together got some locktite on the choke assy. and it was sticking on. This caused his quad to run crappy.