PDA

View Full Version : I need serious help finding a very rare car!!!

Narly R
03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Well my Grandparents have this car and have had it since it had about 30k miles. They cannot find out information to PROVE that it is one of a kind, but we are pretty sure it is 1 of 4 made. It is a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2. Now there are other cars that look almost idenical, but the rear window might be more like a "bubble" or the grill will be the same, it is acually the front of a sertain car, but the rear of another, we have not ever found a picture of one like this. It has not been made, or modified, it came from the factory as is.

If ANYONE knows anything about this car, or know anyone who might PLEASE let me know. Thank you.

Narly R
03-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Front, must be exactly the same....

Narly R
03-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Rear

Narly R
03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Or if anyone knows of any good car forums that I might be able to try. Thanks

Jon98
03-14-2005, 08:39 PM
i must say, ive only seen those cars with the rear glass thats the "aero" shape. as was teh entire purpose of the car, aerodynamics for the racing circuit i beleive...

i don't see many generic gbody web sites (all those cars, grand prix, cutlass, regal, monte ss, are gbodys if you didn't know) but i would start on any message board you can find for those cars. they will definatly know of good grand prix sites.

http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/

is where id start... seems to be a rather prominent monte ss board. and a very well known buick site. its a start anyway, hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

good luck, let me know what you find out, caus im interested to find out about your car.

Jon

bama400ex
03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
i must say ive never seen one like it. i thought the monte carlos were the only ''aero'' cars. http://www.thirdgenfbodies.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t289.html

Narly R
03-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Thank you, please keep the info comming guys!

Rich250RRacer
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
They are rare, but I'm pretty sure there were more than four made.

03-15-2005, 12:34 AM
well, from the front and the side it looks like one of the 200 made pontiac 2+2's but it had the "Aero" type back glass and had a tiny trunk.. STUPID fast cars for what they were, and are highly collectable if you can find one.. my aunt has one, and amazingly a landlord of mine had one.. Im not sure on the aero back, it has been about 3 years since i last saw the car, and it is now with her in texas..

good luck finding one of those cars, its virtually impossible to find.. and if you do find one, chances are they know what they have and wont come off with it at all..

My aunt is a information encyclopedia on this car, (the 2+2) and can probably give you any information you need on it..

Actual production numbers i believe to be 202 if im not mistaken..

And here is another twist.. you CANNOT find parts for that motor, as it is a 318 HO or some goofy number that was specific to that car only, but you had to get another motors stuff that would interchange with that to work..

Im surprized somone else has one of these cars, for being so old, they ride so nice, and dont feel like your going to get blown off the road like the newer cars do..

Ill get in contact with my aunt to see if she would want to speak with you or your grandparents about the car, and how much its worth.. (were talkin mid to upper 5 digits here)

Jesse

Rich250RRacer
03-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
well, from the front and the side it looks like one of the 200 made pontiac 2+2's but it had the "Aero" type back glass and had a tiny trunk.. STUPID fast cars for what they were, and are highly collectable if you can find one.. my aunt has one, and amazingly a landlord of mine had one.. Im not sure on the aero back, it has been about 3 years since i last saw the car, and it is now with her in texas..

good luck finding one of those cars, its virtually impossible to find.. and if you do find one, chances are they know what they have and wont come off with it at all..

My aunt is a information encyclopedia on this car, (the 2+2) and can probably give you any information you need on it..

Actual production numbers i believe to be 202 if im not mistaken..

And here is another twist.. you CANNOT find parts for that motor, as it is a 318 HO or some goofy number that was specific to that car only, but you had to get another motors stuff that would interchange with that to work..

Im surprized somone else has one of these cars, for being so old, they ride so nice, and dont feel like your going to get blown off the road like the newer cars do..

Ill get in contact with my aunt to see if she would want to speak with you or your grandparents about the car, and how much its worth.. (were talkin mid to upper 5 digits here)

Jesse

The car had a either a 305 Chevy or 307 Olds. I can't remember for sure what the Grand Prix got, I'll have to check at work today. There was no 318. And no, they were not fast. We're talking about a 170-200HP here, and they turn mid 16 seconds in the quarter mile. Might make high 15's if they have a really good wind behind them.

Jon98
03-15-2005, 10:43 AM
what hes saying is we know the aero cars are rare, however his particular aero car does NOT have the rear bubbled out glass. which might make it infinantly rarer IF it is indeed factory. (which he says it is).

so thats the question i think... how rare is this particular car w/o the rear glass, if it is factory.

good luck! hopefully someone will know on one of those forums.

Jon

Jon98
03-15-2005, 11:04 AM
found this page for monte carlo ss aeroback cars...

http://www.montecarloss.com/86Aerocoupe.html

they might be able to help. also on that page it says how a build sheet is located under the passenger bucket, and also possibly under the rear bench. a build sheet with vin number/options codes would 10000% help your cause. you can check the vin vs. the options, and then you can post that info or maybe even get in contact with someone who can help identify it.

Jon

Rich250RRacer
03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Jon98
what hes saying is we know the aero cars are rare, however his particular aero car does NOT have the rear bubbled out glass. which might make it infinantly rarer IF it is indeed factory. (which he says it is).

so thats the question i think... how rare is this particular car w/o the rear glass, if it is factory.

good luck! hopefully someone will know on one of those forums.

Jon

I agree with you on that point. While it looks factory, if it were mine I would want to know the actual production numbers. I am a huge Pontiac fan and have owned four 68 Firebirds, so I try to watch for rare Pontiac items. His best bet is to contact PHS, the Pontiac Historical Service. He should be able to get their number from a local dealer, or find it on the internet. This is a service offered by General Motors, not an independent company. All he should have to give them is the VIN and they will be able to tell him the production numbers, what options came on the car, and possibly a copy of the window sticker. If it is indeed rare, they will also provide documentation.

Jon98
03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
His best bet is to contact PHS, the Pontiac Historical Service. He should be able to get their number from a local dealer, or find it on the internet.

ahh yes, phs, i forgot about them... heres a link in case you can't find it. http://www.phs-online.com/

it looks like its 35$ for a car history packet. well worth it if you ask me.

Jon

Narly R
03-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the information guys, the vin #'s are correct on it, it was made in canada, then someone in hawaii owned it, then came to oregon, I am pretty sure that we are the 2nd owners. We need to find what the heck it is before we modd it...
We have found idenical cars, without the bigger window, but the grill is different, and then the grill is the same, and the window is different. Just let me know if you guys know anyone who might know something.... Thanks!

Narly R
03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
We have ordered the packet from www.phs-online.com they sent everything they found, they said they havent seen anything like it before, and is a true 2+2 because of the vin, and has a y97 on the invoice. It is not fake, and is very rare.

Ohh it went to michigan before Hawaii, it came from Quabec Canada.

FourFiftyFour
03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
We have ordered the packet from www.phs-online.com they sent everything they found, they said they havent seen anything like it before, and is a true 2+2 because of the vin, and has a y97 on the invoice. It is not fake, and is very rare.

Ohh it went to michigan before Hawaii, it came from Quabec Canada.

did they say how much it is worth?

are you by any chance going to restore the body on it? or would that hurt the value? bc it looks like it needs a little bit of restoring and it needs to be garage kept from now on! lol

Mxjunkie
03-15-2005, 09:08 PM
I say spend a day or two with a buffer and wax and bring the paint back then detail the car and see what you can do from there.

Narly R
03-15-2005, 09:16 PM
We are going to re paint it, and do the interior, and things like that, but if we cannot find anything out on it we are going to change it, but it has just been sitting, but we do not want to do anything with it if it is one of very few. No body has told us about how much it would be worth because nobody knows enough about it.

03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
narley my pm box is clear

FourFiftyFour
Originally posted by Narly R
We are going to re paint it, and do the interior, and things like that, but if we cannot find anything out on it we are going to change it, but it has just been sitting, but we do not want to do anything with it if it is one of very few. No body has told us about how much it would be worth because nobody knows enough about it.

if it wont hurt the cars value, i would get it repainted as close to the stock color or the exact color and restore the inside and such.... it would definitely help out the looks...that is so interesting, im definitely curious about all what you find out, anything rare with cars sparks my curiousity

Narly R
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I say spend a day or two with a buffer and wax and bring the paint back then detail the car and see what you can do from there.
That wont do us much good if we cant prove what it is, but we will make sure that changing it wont hurt the value if we find anything out, before we do change it.

If anyone knows anyone that works at a Pontiac dealership, lemme know, maybe they could dig something up....

Mxjunkie
03-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Im not sure if this is what you have, it looks like it but that price tag is pretty nice I'm sure you'll like it

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1986gp2plus2102102.htm

Narly R
03-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Only 4 cars were made like this, they were built for "top brass" people. 2 Silver ones, one black and gold, and one burgendy.

So its 1 of 4 hopefully. Just cant prove it.

CuzzinOlaf
03-16-2005, 07:13 AM
They are G-Body cars.... like the Monte and Regals. Check on those forums... Good luck.

Bender
03-16-2005, 07:55 AM
How can you keep saying only 4 were built, when you can find any info on the car to begin with, did someone just tell you that? Many car companies have done things like that, VW was notorious for doing small batchs of cars that they gave to execuatives, deallerships, etc.. Mostly from spare parts they cobbled together at the end of production runs. Most never get much if any documentation. Making them not worth much, maybe to a hardcore collector. Rare doesn't mean big money, if has to be very desired from someone. Throw it on Ebay and set a reserve and see what happens, have a friend bid on it if things get out of hand and you don't want to really sell it. Thats probably the fasest way to judge it that I can think of.

hemi operator
03-16-2005, 08:21 AM
They had the same 165HP 4 barrel carb 305ci engine that the regular GP had that year. The Monte Carlo SS had the "HO" version of the same motor that made 190HP. The eighties sucked for HP, but the torque of these V8's made the cars not quite as slow as the dismal HP numbers would make you think. I'd guess one would have run about a 16.5 second 1/4 mile back then. 1987 was the final year for the rwd G-body GP and there was no 2+2 model. Maybe the body you have was an early 1987 production run so they just put the nose on anyways? Also, I've never seen one without the red/orange stripes on the sides like this http://www.americandreamcars.com/1986pontiacaerocoup.jpg

Rich250RRacer
03-16-2005, 03:17 PM
PHS will tell you everything you need to know, period!

Narly's Gramma
03-16-2005, 03:37 PM
We have already wrote PHS and they did sent me a packet on this car. According to the VIN it is a true 2+2, but they said they had not seen a car quite like this, and that they believed it to be rare, also said this car was made in September of 1986. We have been all over the internet, different websites, and the closest we can come is that this car is possibly 1 of 4, but we cannot verify this by paper for proof. We have researched this car now for 2 or 3 yrs. Any help outthere would really be helpful. Thanks alot..

NTPRacing#19
03-16-2005, 03:58 PM
contact buick them selves

Stevie-D
03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
are you sure that billy bob down at the local garage didn't piece together a monte carlo and a pontiac?
i've seen el camino/monte carlo hybrids before, as well as f-150's with lincoln front ends.

perhaps pontiac bought some left over parts from chevy and pieced it all together:confused:

look at the car from the body, doors, and rear end. it appears to be a monte carlo, while the front end is pontiac.

whatever:p

cdrookie
03-16-2005, 08:17 PM
sounds like a canadian pontiac. they changed some things from the american version but they're basically the same. if PHS has no documentation on it your SOL. can't verify anything so no serious collecter will care about it. get in touch with Ames Performance Engineering, they're always looking for rare pontiacs and might be able to help you out. also try www.classicalpontiac.com.

Narly R
03-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Well the car came from the factory like it is. There are NO signs of it being peiced together or fabricated at all.

Keep the sites/info comming, thanks guys!

cdrookie
03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
you can also send some pics to the editers of High Performance Pontiac magazine. they've been known to scrounge around from time to time if something catches their eye

Screamin440
03-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Contact Barrett-Jackson and see if they can dig anything up for you.

wheeltrax
03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
im pretty curious as well.. keep posted..

250R-Dee
03-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Have you checked with High Performance Pontiac (http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/) ?

Narly R
03-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Screamin440
Contact Barrett-Jackson and see if they can dig anything up for you.

Where can I get ahold of him at?

I will try sending some pics to High Performace Pontiac Magazine, thanks. I haven't checked them out yet.

Thanks guys!

cdrookie
03-17-2005, 09:06 AM
barrett-jackson is the EXTREME high end auto auction that speed channel shows. they won't do any scrounging for you. they only sell cars at the auction.

Rdhanded2
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
any news?

Narly R
03-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Havevnt found anything out, any new idea's?

Rdhanded2
03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
contact pontiac. See if they can help in any way

Guy400
03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
http://www.ranrich.com/gp1986.htm

Rdhanded2
09-24-2005, 10:13 AM
did you ever find anything out about this car?