PDA

View Full Version : Starting this 450r

XCRACER26
03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Ok i've got a problem. I race Xc and i have a 450r, Bone stock, and wouldnt give it up for a yfz any day. well at my race series we have a dead start and i practice and practice and can not get this thing to start on the first kick when it comes to down to it. i dont have enough money to get the Rekluse system. Is there a better way to help this.

hardkoratvmxr
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
maybe try gettign it really hot then use your hot start lever to get it fired on that first kick

WhiteZee
03-14-2005, 07:53 PM
you need to be using your hot start button, when mine was stock, it started everytime while in gear on the first kick. if you still can not get it to fire up while using the hot start, you should keep it in neutral, kick it over, and kick it into 1st as soon as it starts up.

XCRACER26
03-14-2005, 08:17 PM
i Have been hitting the hot start. The thing starts up better when its cold or has been warmed up then I let it sit for a min or two.thats seems to make it more consistent. But it doesnt seem to any better when i put it into neutral.I've been trying many combinations. i'm looking for one that is perfect. I'm frustrated

the yazer
03-14-2005, 08:40 PM
dont push the gas in when you kick it !!!

Johnny & Monica
03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Should have got the yfz:D Kidding been looking at hondas myyself.

XCRACER26
03-14-2005, 08:45 PM
i guess i will get the feel of it eventuly i've only had the thing a little over a week and raced it once, i was the last person to leave the line and made my way to second at the finish. not a bad come back. i'll get it down.oh well, its my black beast

WhiteZee
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
how many turns out is your air/fuel screw? if its turned out to much making it rich, it would be a pain to start.

XCRACER26
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
HONDA RULES:D

dirtriderex
03-14-2005, 09:07 PM
It's bone stock??? check your idle and choke. Are you having trouble just kicking it over? Should start on the first kick, something is wrong. Sometimes I hold the throttle open all the way and it revs right up. But don't start it with the throttle partially open, b/c the crankcase can blow off LOL

ajr400ex
03-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I had the same problem when mine was new. After about 3-4 poor starts at the GNCC's I was getting really torqued off with the Honda. Also stalled it alot compared to the 400 it replaced. Some of this is getting the quad broke in and getting use to it. When the bike is new, there is enough clutch drag when in gear to not start consistently the first time. I started mine in neutral and then placed in gear -worked but starts still not that great. Heard of people pulling the clutch lever in and revving the motor before shutting down (spins oil off the clutch plates). Then leave the clutch pulled in. I tried all this and then said screw it and bought the Rekluse clutch. Couldn't be happier. Start in 2nd gear now - works awesome. Starts are now a blast. :devil: