PDA

View Full Version : wheely

Scott-300ex
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
ok, i can ride wheelies for like 20-30 feet when im movin but not near the balancing point

i can also pick the front end up from a start and carry it like 10 feet at the most

but i wanna get up to the balancing point

i heard about having someone hold up the front end for a while so you know where the balancing point is but is their any other secrets?

im thinkin about standin on the grab bar so i don't fall off if i go to far

im also thinkin about picking it up on the grab bar then lean forward and try to carry it from there so i won't be scared about goin to far back

im guessin you'd have to fly back pretty hard to flip it right

i was at my cousins friends house and he just bought a 400ex and thought he was tough $hit and said he could ride wheely's so we're like, lets see it, so he gets it out, and stands it up, hits the grab bar and lands on his *** hard and the bike heads straight for a newwer style 6 cylinder mustang under its own power, my cousin stopped it though

my cousin also got a 400ex and was ridin with our friend who has a 450r and my cousin was maxed out all the way and my friend on the 450 comes and blows by him ridin a wheely, lmao, now thats awsome

so please help if you can

WOracing
03-14-2005, 06:49 PM
just keep practicing...and about the 450r thing blowing past people in a wheelie:devil: i did that last summer passed 4 people i was riding with WFO down the road in a wheelie. might not be the smartest but it sure was fun;)

racin 400
03-14-2005, 06:50 PM
just sit on the seat lean back gas it and go thats how i learned.
O yeah check out CVB BOYZ they are bad *** if ya wanna see some cool wheelies stoppies ext.

Screamin440
03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm glad to know that there is someone else out there that can't do one. I always manage to do em accidentally when I'm drag racing though. That 1-2 shift is awesome if you like seeing the sky :D

YFZ450Ridr
03-14-2005, 06:58 PM
the best way to find the balance point IMO is tp put one foot on the grab bar and jsut put in first wheelin. thats what i did for a little bit and now i can ride wheelies 1st-4th gear with ease.

TGW_400ex
03-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Just keep going farther till you hit the bar.

fasterblaster09
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
dont use the grab bar...i went throuh 3 of them since march.

YZ400EX
03-15-2005, 12:55 AM
The easiest way I learned to ride wheelies was at the dunes..while you are going up a small incline just bring up the front wheels and find the balancing point..it almost feels like you are going to go over when you are at this point, but you wont..then just take it slow until you find out how to do them..the more you do them the better you will get + in the sand if you do wheelie over it wont hurt you or your bike as long as it isnt a big hill you are trying this on....This is just how I learned..other people may have different ideas..

JLanphear
03-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Not really any "secrets", unfortunately. You can have someone hold the front end up like you said I guess, to get an idea of where the balance point is, but that does change depending on your speed (the faster you go, the lower it is).

The key is practice, and being smooth with all of the controls (throttle, brake, clutch....). In a typical wheelie you don't normally have to worry about the clutch and brake, because you are keeping a constant speed.....however, I do recommend trying to learn the brake as soon as possible. The grab bar normally stops you from going over, but it's best to not even get to that point.

Just a couple other points to mention....As I was saying, the faster you are going, the lower the balance point....also the less "touchy" the quad is in the air because of the higher gear that you are in, and the more throttle and RPM's you have to work with (meaning you can make more adjustments without having to worry about hitting the Rev-Limiter). So typically it is "easier" to ride wheelies at higher speeds. The downfalls are that it hurts a lot more when you do crash (don't think the grab bar is a 100% sure way to save you from crashing, it's not), and also people learning wheelies tend to get a little more nervous the faster they go, and being nervous is not a good thing.

At slow speeds it's usually harder to do wheelies because the balance point is a lot higher, and not as broad as when going faster. You also find yourself taching the quad out when you make throttle adjustments because you don't have as many RPM's to play with....so you have to be extra smooth. Being smooth is also harder because the quad is a lot more responsive to throttle movement because of the lower gear you'll be in. The advantage is mainly that you will be going nice and slow, so if something does happen you'll probably walk away without a scratch.

You pretty much have to ask yourself what way you want to learn. For the most part, if you can ride a wheelie forever in 1st gear, you can ride one forever in any other gear, but it does normally take longer to learn that way.

When I first started learning, I used 3rd gear....which worked out alright in the end. However I did not teach myself to use the brake at all, which I wish that I did. I never had a big crash or anything because of it, but once you learn the brake you know you are in control 100% of the time. When you are sitting typing on a computer, it's easy to think about "Okay, when I go back too far I hit the brake", but it really is another story once you are riding the quad, especially when you are new to wheelies, because when you over-cook it, you have a million thoughts running through your mind, and usually the last thing you think of is hitting the brake for some reason. At least that is what I have seen through experience.

My advice is, if you are going to start out doing slow speed wheelies (or even if you are not), pop it up going nice and slow in first and get it up to balance point as fast as possible (you want to conserve all of the RPM's you have, and if you don't get it up there fast you'll be tached out by the time you reach the balance point). Once you are up there, be nice and smooth on the throttle, and keep the rear-brake in the back of your mind....If you feel yourself going back too far, make yourself hit the brake. The balance point can feel funny sometimes, so you might end up hitting the brake when you don't really have to, but it's a good practice to get into, and you'll learn by trial and error.

So really, there are no secrets, but I hope this gets you off on the right foot.

Good luck bro.

-Josh

duke416ex
03-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Everyone is giving good points, I will try to give a couple more. I am kinda like the last guy. Faster wheelies are easier and I thought myself in second gear. Then I learned to shift. If you want slow wheelies, brakes are the key, gas it and go back farther than you think you should in first then use the brake, if you come up from a dead stop and aren't top fast the quad will just sit in the air for a minute when you hit the brake. When the front dros hit the gas and do it again, what is hard about the is clutch gas and brake control all at one time. Also, balancing is not all about the bike, a lot is where you sit and how you lean. I balance best when I lean back, sometimes I look through my nerfs to see the road instead of over the bars. Standing on the bar is good for slow wheelies, but if you get to fast and tap the ground you might get jerked off the bike, and that's not fun. Keep practicing and eventually you will learn anad then get bored with normal wheelies, thats when the fun stuff like tank wheelies, froggers, high chairs, and can cans come.

trick450r
03-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
just keep practicing...and about the 450r thing blowing past people in a wheelie:devil: i did that last summer passed 4 people i was riding with WFO down the road in a wheelie. might not be the smartest but it sure was fun;)

me and my friend were makin a movie and we were doing wheelies on my 250r...i had it WFO in 6th gear doin a wheelie standing not sitting...anyway its really really modded and geared up for top speed runs...i was wheelying at about 90 mph....it was cool

WOracing
03-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
me and my friend were makin a movie and we were doing wheelies on my 250r...i had it WFO in 6th gear doin a wheelie standing not sitting...anyway its really really modded and geared up for top speed runs...i was wheelying at about 90 mph....it was cool

thats nasty lol, ill guess i was doing about 65 in a wheelie with my r i gotta take away some mph for the "parachute effect" that happens when your going really fast. i always stand up when im doing a wheelie unless its like 1st gear which isnt to fun for me. i didnt even mean to make it that long of a wheelie i didnt think i woul dbe passing everyone i was riding with but i did. when i let it down it was really hard because my front tires werent spinning anymore, thats another thing you have to worry about when doing a wheelie. you better make sure your front tires are straight and you better have a damn good grip on the bars...ride em long and fast:devil: :macho

Scott-300ex
03-15-2005, 04:08 PM
wow guys, thanks a lot!!!

and JLanphear, you should be a teacher, and you look like you know what your doing if thats you in your avatar

yeah, i can ride them for a little bit for like 2-2 1/2 feet off the ground but i can't get to the balancing point, not that i have tryed yet cuz i don't wanna crash, i have gotten to the balancing point when i race people and the front end just pops up and surprised the hell out of me. and i like 2nd gear shift wheelys too when i race, lol

thanks a lot guys and i will tell you how it turns out next time i ride, which will be the first time i try balancing point stuff:blah:

i love you guys

lol

iceracer65
03-15-2005, 04:52 PM
clutch and brake are crutial. if you use them properly you wont ever hit the grab bar. u want to be sitting so you can feel the balance point in a normal riding position as you can blow past your friends when riding without having to stand up ect.

the foot in the grab bar thing is good for broken feet...thats all.

on my girlfriends 300ex i can come to a complete stop for a split second while riding a wheelie...that has deffinate cool factor:devil:

Scott-300ex
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
ok, i thought i would practice from a stop and poping it up, or should i go like 2 mph or something first?

Scott-300ex
03-15-2005, 05:40 PM
oh and when you guys do a wheely from stop, what do you do? half throttle and pop the clutch or what? i do a small one from a stop but haven't tryed to ride one from a stop yet