PDA

View Full Version : sqeeky 250

redexrider4290
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
i have an 03 250 and the front of the bike and the back sqeek like crazy i mean it is really loud and every lillt movement i can hear them over the engine i sprayed ti down with wd-40 and the back qiuted down for a little but then started right back up i didn;t see any grease fittings or any thing so was i just missing something or is there any other way to stop the sqeeking
PLEASE HELP

Cody_300ex
03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Your shock bearings need a good greaseing, use marine grade grease too. If that dosent do it, grease ALL your A-arm bearings.

redexrider4290
03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
how do i grease the bearings

Cody_300ex
03-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
how do i grease the bearings

If your that Quad illiterate you really don't need to be riding one. But if you really want to know how to do basic maintance on it, buy a shop manual.:rolleyes:

redexrider4290
03-14-2005, 06:52 PM
is it definatly the shocks would i have to take them off to grease the bearings and could i do that with a freind and some basic tools

2muchquad
03-14-2005, 08:36 PM
you could do them by yourself with basic tools.watch how you take'em off,reverse to install them.aint hard,it doesnt require a GED to git'r'dun...:p

redexrider4290
03-15-2005, 06:30 PM
How should i decompress the shocks and hold them i was thinking just pushing down on my front (then rear afterwards) then when the springs are compressed tie them with some zip-ties would they hold the spring or should i use some duct-tape

redexrider4290
03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
is the type of grease i use realy important because i was just going to use some regular- old -grease gun-use for everything that needs to be greased -grease will this be ok

300ex13
03-16-2005, 12:55 PM
my 250 does the same thing and it sucks but thats just how they are...i use some kind of marine 'wd-40' and like if it gets wet it'll still help and wont wash away. dont kno the name but it works pretty good. i dont think u should worry about it b/c whatever you do a short time later it will do it again and again.

redexrider4290
03-17-2005, 05:21 PM
i think i want to grease the bearings in the shock because wont they go bad if i dont and i was wandering wear are the bearings located in the shock and wat do they look like

ReconRider25
03-17-2005, 05:47 PM
after reading this i suggest you dont take a wrench to ANY bolt on that 4wheeler. have a parent do it or have it taken to the dealer. and also to the people who stated using wd-40 to lube things, thats the worst thing you can do. the wd-40 will actually wash away any grease still in there and it will do more harm then good.

redexrider4290
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
my parents dont like to hear me mention one word about 4-wheelers and i dont want to take it back to the shop if i could do it myself the guy at the shop charges like 40 dollors an hour and then plus watever supplies or anything he uses

redexrider4290
03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
i didn't see any greease fittings so should i just smir grase all over everything around and in the shock

sportraxkid
03-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Its not the shocks themselfs. Most likely its wear the shocks mount. What do you think spraying the outside of the shock is going to do its sealed off and dont use wd40 on your shocks period. If I were you I would take it somewhere from the way you sound. But anyways on my old 250ex I took the top and bottom shock bolts out every once in a while and lubed them with some assembly grease and it would stop the speaking.

priebo15
03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
could be just natural wear...when i first got mine after about a month the front shocks squeeked like crazy, but after some jumping, and breaking them in the squeeking stopped.
of course my squeeking wasnt as bad as urs sounds, i could hear it over the engine and all, and when i bounced up and down u could hear it. every once in awhile the squeek will come back and i just put a little axle grease on the mounts, it usually takes care of it.

if u ride in a lot of mud, then it could be that water is getting into ur mounts and washing away the lubrication..

if thats not the problem, then start thinking about maybe getting some shock covers?? :confused:

04'400ex'er
03-19-2005, 09:44 AM
My EX did it a month or two after I got it too. Jack up the ATV under the frame and take the front tires off. After you get them off It will be alot easier to work around the shock. You will need a socket on one side of the shock and a wrench on the back side. Hold the wrench and turn the rachet counter-clockwise. Do the same at the top and take the shock off. Remember how the bolts went together. Set the shock on a bench and push out the bearings on the top and bottom of the shock. The bearings are what goes around the bolts you just took out. Wipe Marine grease all around inside the carrier where the bearing goes and on both sides of the bearing itself and also on the bolt. The bearing by the way is only a round piece of tubeing to fit around the bolt. There will probably be rust in the carrier and on the bearing from water getting in there while crossing creeks and mainly washing it. Ask or PM me if you have any more questions. Sorry about the way your parents act towards ATV's also that is a shame.

redexrider4290
03-20-2005, 08:53 AM
thanks ill try that i talked to my cousin yesterday he used to have a banshee with all kinds of mods on it he always his own work on his own bikes so i think he knows a good bit about stuff well he sold his banshee and he bout a xr50 and did all kinds of stuff to it to hold him (hes like 25 and prolly weighs about 180) like some bigger handle bars all kinds of cosmetics new shocks and sprongs ,painted frame new graphics, new exhaust air filter and bore out

well anyway he told me not to use grease because i would get mudd stuck that i would never get out because of the grease he said next time i go over his house he would give me some silicon stuff or something and he said he would give me some shock wears

drifterx
03-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
If your that Quad illiterate you really don't need to be riding one. But if you really want to know how to do basic maintance on it, buy a shop manual.:rolleyes:

Don't dish on him cause he wants help on something he's unfamiliar with.

Ya, like everyone on here says, give the whole front end a good greasing, and i bet it'll solve the problem.

04'400ex'er
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
thanks ill try that i talked to my cousin yesterday he used to have a banshee with all kinds of mods on it he always his own work on his own bikes so i think he knows a good bit about stuff well he sold his banshee and he bout a xr50 and did all kinds of stuff to it to hold him (hes like 25 and prolly weighs about 180) like some bigger handle bars all kinds of cosmetics new shocks and sprongs ,painted frame new graphics, new exhaust air filter and bore out

well anyway he told me not to use grease because i would get mudd stuck that i would never get out because of the grease he said next time i go over his house he would give me some silicon stuff or something and he said he would give me some shock wears
well I don't really know what ur cousin is talking about cuz i never had any problems with grease and dirt just wipe the excess grease from the outside of the shock after you put the bearing back in before you install the shock and you will be fine. You don't need any silicone based grease only marine grease to protect from water that finds it's way in there.