PDA

View Full Version : just recieved suspension

ESR250R
05-08-2002, 12:46 PM
i just recieved my elka suspension. in another post someone had there bottom gray spacer upside down and mine is the same way. should flip it over before i put them on. i would like to turn the hose on both my front shocks but i dont want to screw them up. if i loosen the bolt turn it and retighten the bolt will it be ok. i will bolt them on a give some pics and a review soon.

PsychoDave
05-08-2002, 01:09 PM
i wanted to move my hoses too but thought against it.....i would leave it alone. I dont have any info on the spacer...sorry

ESR250R
05-08-2002, 01:41 PM
and how do i flip the 2nd spacer

ESR250R
05-08-2002, 07:20 PM
well i didnt get to ride too much today i did get to ride for about 1/2 hour. my rear shock when i push it down it bottoms out the ssd spring and doesnt come up any. is this normal? my front end seems to sit up higher than it did with stock. is this normal. it uses the ssd spring but still sits higher. jumping was awesome seemed to land good and i tried to bottom it out and it seemed smooth as **** (could barely tell it was bottoming). it did seem to corner better with these shock, but should i flip that 2nd spring over. it seemed kinda rough over the small stuff but it might need some time to be broken in. i will try to get some pics soon. could someone answer my question from before. i will give a better review after this sundays race.

SGA
05-08-2002, 08:59 PM
I took height measurements with the stock shocks with me on and off the quad before i put the elkas on. The front elkas makes it sit higher if i pull up on the front bumper and let go. When i get on with the elkas it drops 3/4 inch lower than with me sitting on it with front stock shocks. Someone posted awhile back about the weight of the quad pushing the rear ssd all the way down. Jeff at quad shop replied that was normal, mine does the same thing on the rear. My plastic spacers, the top one has the flange facing up and the bottom one the flange faces down. i'm pretty sure thats right.

Pepto_Bismol
05-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Yah, the Sag with the SSD spring is normal. It's meant to give you that extra smoothness over the real light stuff (only when the shock extends). And as far as the cross over ring or spacers,(mine is the same length on both sides) if you need to flip it, you will have to press up on the bottom red spring collar enough to be able to slide it out (from the shaft). Then everything drops out the bottom. It's easy. Good luck!
Pepto :cool:

TRX250R87
05-09-2002, 08:57 AM
ESR,
I was the one with the crossover spring upside down.

I just got my new bottom springs, 35mm crossover rings, and shockwears from Elka.

I flipped the lower, plastic ring over and will test everything this weekend at Red Bud.

The SSD spring should be bottomed out, it just keeps tension on everything and allows more sag.

ERIC

SGA
05-09-2002, 10:56 AM
just to avoid confusion, heres a pic of mine showing crossover rings

TRX250R87
05-09-2002, 11:24 AM
I'll post mine too.
I also had to rotate my hoses a little to mount them like in the picture.
I just quickly loosened the bolt about 1/2 turn, moved the hose, then tightened the bolt. I lost a few drops of oil but it shouldn't hurt anything. It might be easier if a friend helps.
ERIC

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 11:57 AM
i got a few pics of them

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 11:59 AM
another

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 12:01 PM
and another

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 12:02 PM
rear ressie

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 12:04 PM
and rear shock

beerock
05-09-2002, 12:30 PM
can someone post a close up of the top ring that retains the springs?
is it threaded or do allen screws keep the retainers at a certain height?

my r/c cars were like this and they had a tendency to slip up during a race.

MR. HONDA EX'S
05-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Hey ESR, do you like your ESR pipe? Is it really loud or just that 2 stroke ring. I'm thinking of getting one for my 250r. Thanks.

ESR250R
05-09-2002, 02:38 PM
i love my esr pipe. esr make excellent products and if i ever did motor work it would definetely be esr. i have the trx5 pipe good bottom, killer mid, and good top. if you want a bottom end pipe the trx6 is supposed to be better and if u want a top pipe the trx 11 is supposed to be the best. i got the 5 because it was an allaround pipe.

Dave400ex
05-09-2002, 06:03 PM
The Shocks look Good. Where did you get them? Are they just Comp. Adjust or Comp. Adjust and Rebound Adjust? How much did they Cost?

MR. HONDA EX'S
05-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Cool, The 5 is what sound like would fit my riding. I'm planning on getting lots of cool looking parts from ESR for my 250r.:D

Foxrage
05-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Warriorman cant you read his sig??? J/k i would say just comp adj. Thats all most of us need.

Dave400ex
05-09-2002, 08:24 PM
My Bad I didn`t see that.

cdalejef
05-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by beerock
can someone post a close up of the top ring that retains the springs?
is it threaded or do allen screws keep the retainers at a certain height?

my r/c cars were like this and they had a tendency to slip up during a race.

The threaded preload ring has 2 allen set screws but all they do is keep the ring form spining while you are riding.
The RC bug has bitten you too huh Beerock???:rolleyes: I think I have as much money in my T-Maxx as I do my 250R!:eek:

ESR250R
05-10-2002, 10:03 PM
i got another question my front end is up really high and my rear end is sitting pretty low. should i adjust my front down or my rear up. i want it to sit level it seems akward when i am cornering or jumping. if i lower the preload on my front shocks will they bottom out any easier. also how do u adjust the fronts up just loosen the two allen screws and twist them up? i attached a pic its kinda hard to tell but i can tell its uneven

Smoker
05-10-2002, 11:16 PM
I would adjust the front down if you have the right amount of sag in the back (I believe people still go by 100mm). As far as your front shocks bottoming, you shouldn't use preload to adjust how your shocks ride (resistance to bottoming). It does effect spring stiffness some but should only be used to effect ride height. In other words drop your fronts and correct the bottoming by bumping up your compression. That's what it's for. Since you've spent the money on shocks, learn how to set them up. The Elka manual is O.K. but if you visit the www.customaxisshocks.com site and download the manual, it explains a lot. :p

RoostinOna400ex
05-11-2002, 08:40 AM
The top ring is sappossed to be up and the bottom down if the bottom one is up it wont allow the middle spring to compress ditch difeats the purose of having more than one spring! The top ring is sappossed to be up if your quad site to high in the front you can loosen that thing that moves up and down the threaded part of the shock to make it sit lower or you can take the spacer and out cut some of the plastic off!!