PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 or 2

ls1400ex
03-14-2005, 03:58 PM
i got a big gun full exhaust and k&n filter, and the jetting is a 160 main, 42 pilot jet,and needle adjusted. I got some good bottom end and need more top end. I start loosing the piped 450s in about mid 3rd to 4th gear??is a cam going to help? How hard is it to put in?

igmif
03-14-2005, 09:26 PM
A cam will def help. After I installed a pipe and jet/filter, I went with a Satge 1 HotCam. I recomend if your gonna crack your engine open you get a hold of a service manual. It's not too hard to do. You only have to take off the valve cover, and move the carb alittle bit. The HotCam instructions are pretty clear but a manual has pictures and more detailed info if your not familiar with the engine. I run a full E-Series exhaust, a 170 Dyno Jet, with the needle clip set in the middle. I've found the stage 1 has a very linear power delivery. It gives ya some great torque of the bottom and it carries it momentum all the way to the top end. The cam was my favorite engine mod. I found it to make the quad easier to get on the power and it also seemed to give me the most HP per $$. The only down side to it is that the engine breathes so much now that I can't run with an airbox lid. It chokes out on the top end even with holes like swiss cheese drilled into it.

murrays400ex
03-15-2005, 07:36 AM
go big or go home so go as big as you can dude

2004exrider
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
stage 1 is perfect for yours, you wont lose any bottom end, stage 2 is for a rebuilt engine (not with stock piston) and you will lose bottom end if you used it on yours.

Joe400ex
03-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
stage 1 is perfect for yours, you wont lose any bottom end, stage 2 is for a rebuilt engine (not with stock piston) and you will lose bottom end if you used it on yours.

I want to put a better piston in later but i want to put a cam in now what is better stage 1 or stage 2 because i dont want to buy two cams because i have a stock piston now if i put stage 2 will it really F*** up my motor :ermm:

2004exrider
03-15-2005, 08:49 PM
if your plannin on putting in a different pison later id suggest just waiting til you do and put in the stage 2 cam. that is the biggest you can get for the 400. putting in a stage 2 with your stock piston wont hurt your engine but youll lose a good amount of bottom end, and youll be kickin yourself in the butt down the road.

Joe400ex
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
if your plannin on putting in a different pison later id suggest just waiting til you do and put in the stage 2 cam. that is the biggest you can get for the 400. putting in a stage 2 with your stock piston wont hurt your engine but youll lose a good amount of bottom end, and youll be kickin yourself in the butt down the road.

i see do u know any place i can get parts cheaper than nacs racing

400EX QUADER
03-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Ebay. For the cam or the cam and the piston?

2004exrider
03-15-2005, 09:11 PM
yeah, 99.9% of time cheaper and best selection

xNOILABOYx
03-16-2005, 07:26 PM
u should buy my stg2 for 100 bucks shipped

DaleJrFan
03-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Lose bottom end? I have a stage 2 with a stock piston and didnt miss a lick on the bottom end a gained a little on the top. The only problem I have now is getting a full exaust to match the cam.

2004exrider
03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
The only down side to it is that the engine breathes so much now that I can't run with an airbox lid. It chokes out on the top end even with holes like swiss cheese drilled into it.
thats strange :confused: i got one in mine with K&N airfilter and hmf slipon and still run with the airbox lid on, what other mods do you have done?(im not bein a smartazz just curious)

cals400ex
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by igmif
A cam will def help. After I installed a pipe and jet/filter, I went with a Satge 1 HotCam. I recomend if your gonna crack your engine open you get a hold of a service manual. It's not too hard to do. You only have to take off the valve cover, and move the carb alittle bit. The HotCam instructions are pretty clear but a manual has pictures and more detailed info if your not familiar with the engine. I run a full E-Series exhaust, a 170 Dyno Jet, with the needle clip set in the middle. I've found the stage 1 has a very linear power delivery. It gives ya some great torque of the bottom and it carries it momentum all the way to the top end. The cam was my favorite engine mod. I found it to make the quad easier to get on the power and it also seemed to give me the most HP per $$. The only down side to it is that the engine breathes so much now that I can't run with an airbox lid. It chokes out on the top end even with holes like swiss cheese drilled into it.

this only indicates your jetting is off. rejet for the air box lid on and you will be fine. i have ran the air box lid on with 406's, a 416, and a 426 with stage 1 hotcams, stage 2 hotcams, and a TC mx grind cam. i would bet money if it sputters top end with the lid on, your not even jetted right with the lid off.

400EX QUADER
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
xnoilaboyx Is that cam brand new in box?

xNOILABOYx
03-18-2005, 01:46 PM
in box,barely used,cant see any wear,guy said he switched to stg 1 for trails,after like 3 rides