PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Gearbox

exgriff
03-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi, hope someone can help.
My chain came off and wrapped itself around the front sprocket locking the back wheels. When i finally got it untangled and back on sprockets i discovered there is something wrong with the gearbox.
When in neutral with clutch in it will start. When i let the clutch out it stalls. When i put it in first gear and let the clutch out it stalls. I don't think any drive is getting to the sprocket.
It will not start in neutral with the clutch out, just makes a funny noise.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks

aviator4
03-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Are you running the stock front chain cover or an aftermarket?

Pull the chain off and put the bike in neutral, see of you can spin the front sprocket by hand, it should be fairly easy.

How fast were you going and what gear were you in when the chain came off? Have you figured out WHY the chain came off?

What kind of noise is it making with the bike in neutral and the clutch out? is it a grinding sound?

exgriff
03-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Yes its a stock chain cover.

When the bike is in neutral the front sprocket is free.
When I jack up the rear and turn the rear wheel by hand I can engage all gears as normal.

I was in 2nd gear sideways on a tight (hairpin) bend. I believe a stone must have thrown the chain. When I forced the chain back on the play was still about an inch.

When in neutral with engine running and I let the clutch out the bike stalls no matter how high the revs are. It reminds me of how an engine would react if you tried to start off in 5th gear (except the bike does not try to move).

If I try to start the bike in neutral with the clutch out it makes a noise like the battery was flat and maybe a slight grinding.

Thanks.