PDA

View Full Version : Cant get R to start!

edz250r
03-14-2005, 07:16 AM
I tried starting my R after having the motor totally rebuilt over the winter. The stock cylinder was mildly ported, bored with new piston, new ESR cool head and bottom end totally rebuilt as well. I also put on a used 38mm airstryker carb that I bought from someone here last fall which was used for only one season.

I tried kicking it over on the weekend and I got nothing. I pulled the spark out and kicked it and I do see spark, so I dont think its electrical. I put in a new spark plug and noticed that it was dry even after all the kicks. Could something be wrong with the carb?? How do I know if it is? Any other ideas why the plug would by dry??

outlaw#9
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
see if it pops with some starting fluid :o

mdl76
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Did you put gas in the tank? heehee

yes, for sure squit some starting fluid in the carb and kick it, might check timing to.

kuba1506
03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
try to pull start it with another quad. i rebuilt my banshee two years ago and had to pull start it the first time then it was fine.

JTRtrx250r
03-14-2005, 08:43 PM
make sure the petcock flows, try loosening the drain screw to be sure the floatbowl is getting gas, might be getting to much head-pressure and just not priming the system w/ gas all the way

Im against the starting fluid method...that chit aint good w/ 2 strokes, just use a an oil-cap full of gas...seeing how thats what it runs on

could just be a sticky floatvalve

edz250r
03-15-2005, 07:21 AM
JTR - I checked the float and petcock and all is fine. When you say oil cap full of gas, do you mean just pulling the spark plug and pouring the gas in the cylinder head? I've done this in the past, but I was a little learly of doing it with a new topend. It might be my only choice though. I'm going to make sure the pilot jet isn't plugged up too.
Another quick question...how much spark do you guys have when you kick it over? Mine is so faint that I have to turn off the garage lights in order to see the spark. My engine builder said that you should be able to see it in plain daylight, but I've never had spark that strong...even before the rebuild!

JTRtrx250r
03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Ed, I didnt realize it was a fresh topend , I definitly understand why you wouldnt want to do it that way...I probably wouldnt either.., if you do...use less than that , maybe 1/2 a cap...dont wanna lead to bigger probs:ermm:

I know they need to be kicked w/ a good firm kick to generate a fat spark so be sure your not "sally" kickin' it:p

If the floatbowl is filling up....it should draw thru, How long is the gas cap vent hose? I also hear those little 1 way vent jobbers go bad and plug up(in case you got 1)

edz250r
03-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info, JTR. I'll try kickin it even harder and my put just a little gas in it. I'm thinking one it fires the gas/air from the carb will start flowing and keep it running. I'll check the jets and vent hose as well.
Is there anything else that can go wrong with a carb? The guy told me that it was only about 2 years old. Can they "wear out" or have anything else wrong with them other than plugged jets or hoses? I dont think there is, but just wondering....

wilkin250r
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
A little starting fluid once or twice won't kill your motor, and it's a whole lot easier than pulling your sparkplug and pouring gas into your cylinder. Me, I use carburetor cleaner, because I don't always have starting fluid handy, but I ALWAYS have carb cleaner. A quick squirt into your air boot usually does the trick.

You don't want to make a habit of it. It's kinda like alcohol. A beer or two every now and then won't kill you, but a bottle of Jack Daniels every day will ruin your liver real quick.

JTRtrx250r
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
you might be right wilk, but whats more of a pita...un-doing the spark plug...or un-doing your airfilter to give it a shot?

also...staring fluid strips oil away, not too sure if carb cleaner does or not...but I can see it possibley doing so

w/ pre-mixed gas....ya cant say the same about

I dont want to see him have anything happen to his fresh topend...and for that I'd want lubrication

btw...good example:D

edz250r
03-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I've poured gas in the cylinder in the past with good luck, so maybe i'll put just a little in and see what happens. I'm also putting in new reeds which should arrive today. I'll put it all together and fire it up asap.
Hey...I looked in the intake port and you cant see the top of the piston. Does the gas/air mixture get compressed underneath the piston and then fill the top of the cylinder from the other side?

randy_lloyd723
03-16-2005, 07:27 AM
I just got my banshee rebuilt and i had to pull start it for the first time too after that it was fine

edz250r
03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, I broke down the carb, cleaned it and put it back on along with the airbox. I put a soda cap full of gas and she started right up first kick, but now this leads to my next problem! I'll create a new post so more eyes see it....