PDA

View Full Version : Prevent heat fade?

sprtrx300ex
03-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Is there anyway to help prevent heat fade?

I notice that after I stop riding for about 10 mins and fire it back up, it has alot more power.

I have air scoops already, and the oil level is fine.

hart
03-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Your jetting could be off some, that would cause it to heat up if your running lean, also what are you using for oil ?, you could chang to semi synthetic and i think you would notice a difference, also you could get a bigger oil cooler and tank that would help also.:)

sprtrx300ex
03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I am using Hp4 10-40 SJ oil. I think my mainjet is lean and could be contributing.

cals400ex
03-14-2005, 11:20 AM
themal coating some engine parts such as pipe, piston, etc might help some. higher octane fuel and correct jetting couldn't hurt either.

hart
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
yep the main jet could be what is enhancing the overheating problem, i really like amsoil i use 10w-40 syntheic motorcycle oil if find it works awsome. You could do a plug check to determine where your runnig lean then you could start from there.

29FTEX
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
You could get one of the FST oil cooler kits, or make your own, or look at the link I posted.

It doesn't take the stock oil cooler out of the loop, but adds another cooler and oil lines.

Every little bit helps, especially on an air cooled motor.

Here (http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html) is one at the bottom for the universal ATV kit. Pretty cheap for the added cooling.

ghak99
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 29FTEX
You could get one of the FST oil cooler kits, or make your own, or look at the link I posted.

Here (http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html) is one at the bottom for the universal ATV kit. Pretty cheap for the added cooling.

Does anyone happen to know the prices on the FST or the Perma-cool kit above?

sprtrx300ex
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
can a rich mixture cause overheating, or just a lean mixture?

I was thinking since a rich mixuture means more fuel, maybe the explosion is large in the engine causeing more heat. ANy ideas?

hart
03-15-2005, 11:28 AM
no a rich mixture will not cause it to over heat, a lean mixture will though because gas is what cools your piston , the less gas and more air going in will creat more heat . that can lead to other problems..If your too rich though your biike will run sloppy and ruin your spark plug.

khen
03-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
Does anyone happen to know the prices on the FST or the Perma-cool kit above? Perma-Cool kit will run you $59 + shipping if you can find someone who has it in stock. It does not come with the set screw to block off the original oil channel and any sort of a protective grill, so you'd have to purchase/fabricate those. I just ordered the FST kit and it cost me $117 shipped.

j753301
03-15-2005, 04:09 PM
i just got my perma cool kit from jegs, took 2 weeks.i would put one together myself from jegs with an fittings and a perma cool oil cooler.all the fittings and hose comes up to 55 bucks without the cooler,not a bad deal and will look great.