PDA

View Full Version : some kinda problem

mrdude1400
03-13-2005, 09:07 PM
hey everyone... i am getting ready to sell my 400, but i wanted it to be in good working order when i do... so here is my problem...
i just put in a 416 kit with a hotcam and everything... its all in sig. at bottom... and anyways... i notice that it sounds like it is making a real bad vibrating noise, and it sounds like it is in the top of the motor, it only does it at half throttle,... i forgot to replace the camchain when i did all this, so it is the factory chain. do u think that could be it? that is my only guess, someone help please, thanks alot!!!!

FF1O5
03-14-2005, 11:25 AM
are the valves adjusted properly?when you put the hotcam in did you take out the little decompression spring?

mrdude1400
03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
the little bitty spring under the cam down in a hole with a little metal rod type thing on it?... i didn't take that out, i kinda forgot, so do u think it would have torn anything up??? and do u think that would be what the vibrating noise i heard was??? thanks for the info, i will take that out tomorow and see if it sounds any better!! wow i feel stupid... lol

murrays400ex
03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
i know this is simple but did you tighten EVERYTHING, and check the cam to make shure thier not knocking on the valves

mrdude1400
03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
i am pretty sure it isn't the valves being hit by the cam,... if it was, wouldn't it do it all the time, like even when it is idling? I am not real sure how it all works in the motor, but it seems that if it was hitting the valves it would do it all the time and not just at mid throttle or higher?....I think it is prolly just the decompression spring, i forgot to take that out when i put in the hotcam... so hopefully that is it... i will go ahead and check the valves again though just to be sure... thanks

the Z Man
03-15-2005, 12:37 PM
If you need a cam chain, I have a really nice used one with the front chain guide in good shape as well, the way to test this is with the valve cover off pull on the chain at the top of the cam sprocket, if there is any play what so ever it is bad. 25 bucks shipped for both pieces if ya want em. Z.

mrdude1400
03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
aright z man... i might be interested in that... cuz i took the decompression spring out and that didn't make the rattling noise go away... so i guess it is the cam chain, cuz its not hitting the valves either so... i will try that and if that doesn't fix it then i don't know what it is.... thanks.... PM me ur address and ill send u a check for $25... also what kind of chain is this... is it stock or an aftermarket one? thanks