PDA

View Full Version : very quick question about chain cleaning

nosliw
03-13-2005, 06:07 PM
i've got a small tub full of mineral spirits for cleaning my chain, but this last week i've left it outside uncovered and it's got some rain water in it. not a lot, there was only a couple days where we got some showers. is it still OK to clean and scrub my chain in it? i'll be slopping it with sae 90w gear oil immediatly after cleaning.

thanks

nosliw
03-13-2005, 06:43 PM
ok i just used some of it to clean the area around my front sprocket and also my rear sprocket. it smells the same and leaves the same irritating feel on my hands so i'm going to clean the chain. i'll bump up this thread if to warn ya'll i encounter any sever rusting/binding/ect... from using mineral spirits with water in it.

Derag2
03-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I dont think your gonna notice anything different about it....... Its gonna get lubed up and it gets subjected to more moisture being outside than what water is in that mineral spirits.

aviator4
03-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems with the mineral spirits. The water will seperate out anyway.

I would recommend using a different lube though, something like PJ1's chain lube. It goes on like thin, like 5W 30 oil but get's tacky afterwards to keep it from flying off the chain. it will last a LOT longer than gear oil and can penetrate down into the seals of the chain better to keep them soft. It's definatley worth the investment of $5 or so. a single can should last all season, if not longer. It's a lot cheaper than a new chain!

nosliw
03-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by aviator4
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems with the mineral spirits. The water will seperate out anyway.

I would recommend using a different lube though, something like PJ1's chain lube. It goes on like thin, like 5W 30 oil but get's tacky afterwards to keep it from flying off the chain. it will last a LOT longer than gear oil and can penetrate down into the seals of the chain better to keep them soft. It's definatley worth the investment of $5 or so. a single can should last all season, if not longer. It's a lot cheaper than a new chain!

lube i've been using has been working fine. i clean and lube my chain after every time i take it out, even if it's only 20 minutes or so. thanks for the suggestions though.

DeerNuts
03-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
i clean and lube my chain after every time i take it out, even if it's only 20 minutes or so.

Then wouldnt it make more sense to just buy a $5 can of the good stuff so you dont have to change it as often:confused:

Wouldnt that save you money.

nosliw
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
Then wouldnt it make more sense to just buy a $5 can of the good stuff so you dont have to change it as often:confused:

Wouldnt that save you money.

not if the gear oil and kerosene are free. besides i like cleaning my bike:blah: