PDA

View Full Version : How to bump 450R performace for $600?

kwestov
03-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a stone stock 04 450R and rougly a $600 budget (little more if needed) to do some things to modify performace. In the winter, I ride the Imperial dunes. During the hot Phoenix summer, I trail ride in national forest areas in northern Arizona.

I've read a great deal about HRC, K&N, pipes, yada yada yada, but have not recived enough consistent information to make a purchase decision.

Any comments from informed individuals or individuals who have made modifications in the same price range are greatly appreciated.

03-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by kwestov
I have a stone stock 04 450R and rougly a $600 budget (little more if needed) to do some things to modify performace. In the winter, I ride the Imperial dunes. During the hot Phoenix summer, I trail ride in national forest areas in northern Arizona.

I've read a great deal about HRC, K&N, pipes, yada yada yada, but have not recived enough consistent information to make a purchase decision.

Any comments from informed individuals or individuals who have made modifications in the same price range are greatly appreciated.

buy a sparks, hmf, or RE (rossier) pipe, then get a k&n filter, a outerwear, cut the airbox lid a little bit, that will be around $540 retail, then you have $60 left for some bars of your choice and some grips, then you should be all set and ready to go :macho

03-13-2005, 10:08 AM
another path you could go, is get a Dr. D slip on pipe, get a k&n, cut the airbox lid, get an outerwear, get the HRC kit, and if you have money left, go for some grips or bars

it all depends on what setup you would want more, the full pipe will help you when you put more mods into your bike, but the slip on and the hrc will most likely give you more hp then you will see out of the full exaust

drthrottle
03-13-2005, 10:10 AM
first things first. There's no way to get around the fact that you need to replace the stock silencer at least. It's heavy and killing power. A slip/on is fine on a budget. The filter helps too but not as much, mainly for ease. I have a sparks filter w/supercharger if you want to save a couple bucks. Hrc kit is nice but, not for what you pay. I have it so take my word. Webb and Hot Cam is just as good for less $$. If you have a full season on the motor, check out the JE pistons. Don't be afraid of some compression ratio, you'll love how it feels. 12.5:1 is good 13:1 is better. Jet the carb! Good luck

kwestov
03-13-2005, 10:15 AM
XxHonda_RacerxX and drthrottle,

Thanks for your comments. I'll look into both of your suggestions.

jeepnrocks
the stock cam is a big limiter on these bikes.
you really could get an hrc or similar end cap on ebay to open the exhaust up. Then you could get a piston for 150 and a cam for ... how much is a hot cams staget 2 ? bout 150 ? cut your lid, rejet and you ll be set for a while.

Originally posted by drthrottle
first things first. There's no way to get around the fact that you need to replace the stock silencer at least. It's heavy and killing power. A slip/on is fine on a budget. The filter helps too but not as much, mainly for ease. I have a sparks filter w/supercharger if you want to save a couple bucks. Hrc kit is nice but, not for what you pay. I have it so take my word. Webb and Hot Cam is just as good for less $$. If you have a full season on the motor, check out the JE pistons. Don't be afraid of some compression ratio, you'll love how it feels. 12.5:1 is good 13:1 is better. Jet the carb! Good luck

ya there are a lot of paths for him to take, if he wants hp then the best bet would be slip on, k&n, outerwear, cut lid, stage 2 hotcam, and a 12:1 piston for pump gas, sparks needle, and jet the carb

kwestov
03-13-2005, 10:25 AM
XxHonda_RacerxX and drthrottle,

Thanks for your comments. I'll look into both of your suggestions.

Kilabanshee
03-13-2005, 10:25 AM
13.1 piston, slip on, hrc or hotcam.

03-13-2005, 10:30 AM
you could also get your shocks redone

kwestov
03-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ya there are a lot of paths for him to take, if he wants hp then the best bet would be slip on, k&n, outerwear, cut lid, stage 2 hotcam, and a 12:1 piston for pump gas, sparks needle, and jet the carb

HP, without too much noise, is exactly what I'm looking for in this case. I honestly don't feel any lack of power. This is more a case of it being almost a crime to not spend a little extra to unleash the beast within the bike.

Being mechanically challenged, I'll refer to my much more capable friends at one of several local cycle shops to implement some of the suggestions offered.

kwestov
03-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
you could also get your shocks redone

XxHonda_RacerxX,

I noticed a reference to aftermarket shocks in your signature. Is that your suggested solution?

03-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by kwestov
XxHonda_RacerxX,

I noticed a reference to aftermarket shocks in your signature. Is that your suggested solution?

ya im sponsored by Elka Suspension, but for $600 you could get your shocks redone by someone, such as GT Thunder, and you would have a much smoother ride :macho

Moto92
03-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Read "uncorking your 450R on a budget"

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1672